Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Both of the 527's I spoke of are older 12 twist .223's owned by my brothers. As I said, they both shoot quite well now, just needed a little work.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What was the work?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Explained a few posts back. Have you done anything to yours ? I've been thinking of buying a 527 American in 6.5 Grendel myself. Don't know if I can get past that damned ugly trigger guard/magazine arrangement though.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
OK, checked your post again.

Have not encountered any of those problems with my CZ rifles. In fact the first 3-shot group I shot at 100 yards with my 452 .17 HMR in 2002 measured .24 inch, right out of the box.

Have had similar OTB luck with 15-20 other CZs from rimfire to various centerfires. Have worked over or adjusted the triggers some, and did put a heavier magazine spring in my 550 Magnum .416 Rigby, but other than that they've been pretty much good to go.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wyomike
I have a couple of what I consider " target rifles" for informal competition at our local gun club. Remington action, Jewel triggers, Krieger barrel. A very accurate 308 and a 6x47 Lapua. Both with high power scopes. Now that summer is over I like to shoot my factory stock, sporter rifles as I occasionally do throughout the summer months. I currently have a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Blue/Walnut which I prefer (I know I'm a dinosaur),although my target guns are glass. I have NO complaints with the Tikka, as right out of the box it shoots as good or better than any Remington I ever owned. I did change the trigger spring, although it really didn't need it. I just want to get a 7mm/08 and some one of the guys has a CZ and said it was the most accurate sporter he ever shot. I think it was a 550.

I also shoot competition at my club. Sometimes we do "hunting" rifle shoots. They hated it when I pulled out my CZ 550, even though it was chambered in 9.3x62mm, it was still damn accurate. Of course I worked it over a bit:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've shot perfect's with that rifle and also filled the freezer a time or 2:

Like I said earlier, there's a night and day difference between the heavy clunky CZ550 and the Tikka. Especially when you want to compare it to something like your superlite 6.5 creed. There are absolutely no flies on the superlite for a hunting rifle either, and they can be extremely accurate:

Don't expect your everyday right out of the box superlite to shoot like that though. It's not going to happen. If you are looking for an extremely accurate Tikka, that you could also possible hunt with that is closer in weight to the CZ550, look up the Tikka CTR. They shoot great. Almost effortless. I don't/won't take my CTR to one of our "hunting" rifle shoots, but will take it to our "precision" rifle shoots:

However, I do still feel a little guilty because it shots so well....:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a bunch of Tikkas, two of them are in 7mm-08. When you buy the Tikka let me know, I have load data for you.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer the Tikka a lot more
The stocks on the CZs feel like clubs

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
They don’t all...many of the older cz/brno rifles had very trim stocks...similar to the Winchester 54. The Safari stocks are perfect imho...

Cz s are a European sporting Mauser...not designed to or intended to be a sub 7lb stainless synthetic mountain rifle. This comparison is foolish

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My 527 in 17 Hornet would not feed out of the magazine, unless you were mad and really worked the bolt.

I think they used an extractor out of a 223 on it.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wouldn't say a Tikka vs Howa comparison be more appropriate?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gunwriter but I've owned both in .223. The Tikka I bought new. It was the basic, least expensive "Plastica" model. It was and still is the most accurate out of the box with several different loads rifle I've ever owned. Basically put a scope on it and start shooting. It seems like most shooters that get these say the same thing.

The CZ is an older 527, 18&1/2" barrel, 1-12 twist, walnut stock Carbine with good open sights. I've had it about a year. The only thing I've done to it is put a 2-7x33 scope on it. Getting mounts that weren't too high without altering or replacing the bolt handle was a hassle. I ended up using some old Tikka mounts. So far the only load it shoots real well is the 40 gr V-Max with 27 gr of Varmint Extreme but it will put 5 rounds and sometimes more into an inch at 100 yds consistently with that load.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 10/30/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My 527 in 17 Hornet would not feed out of the magazine, unless you were mad and really worked the bolt.
I know alot of people around here with 527's and this is a common complaint/problem.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
CZ obviously wants to be a big player in the American market but they keep fuuckin it up. The 557 stock is bulky/clubby. The overall styling leaves much to be desired. People bought 550's because it had a Mauser action so CZ comes out with a fat, overweight, push feed action with a two positon safety that doesn't lock the bolt to replace it. BRILLIANT ! Just what every American hunter wanted and needed, another heavy, two position safety push feed in a market already loaded with them . Same with the 527. It is a truly tiny, micro action. If CZ would do away with that dopey, ugly, steel trigger guard/bottom metal/magazine arrangement and put an aluminum triggerguard/floorplate or aluminum botton metal with flush fitting detachable magazine in it's stead, they could have a truly slick, good looking lightweight micro action sporter that would be very appealing to American hunters. Instead they have a micro action rifle that is neither good looking nor particularly light. Good job CZ, your engineering and marketing departments are right on the ball.

Last edited by Blackheart; 10/30/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by wyomike
I'm planning to purchase a 7mm/08. I'm NOT going to get a Remington as the last CDL that I bought had big time extraction issues that Remington tried to fix but didn't. I sent it to Long Rifles Inc. and they did an excellent job. I have a couple of Tikka's and I'm very satisfied with them. Nice trigger, and very, very accurate, but I'd like some feed back about the Cz from people that have one.
Thank you,
Mike

I have the older CZ550 American in .243. It's an accurate rifle as long as I stay with bullets < 87 grains. It's one heavy sporter than feels like a block. The length of pull is really long for me and I'm of average size. It has the set trigger which is nice on the bench; I'd never consider hunting with it set as it's too light. Fit and finish is more on par with Remington than Tikka/Sako. CZ does have good customer service. I bought a CZ 452 American prior to the 550 which is what sold me on CZ. They're decent rifles until you hit a certain price point and then there's better.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I know alot of people around here with 527's and this is a common complaint/problem.

I have a 527 in .221 Fireball that feeds great.

A little work shaping my extractor and the 17 feeds great too.

I think they got them mixed up at the factory. Probably test fire with a single shot carrier.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
BSA, funny I have the same rifles, in the same calibers.. The CZ550in 9.3X62 does the same thing. I have yet to shoot the Tikka Creedmoor but am expecting good things.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
CZ obviously wants to be a big player in the American market but they keep fuuckin it up. The 557 stock is bulky/clubby. The overall styling leaves much to be desired. People bought 550's because it had a Mauser action so CZ comes out with a fat, overweight, push feed action with a two positon safety that doesn't lock the bolt to replace it. BRILLIANT ! Just what every American hunter wanted and needed, another heavy, two position safety push feed in a market already loaded with them . Same with the 527. It is a truly tiny, micro action. If CZ would do away with that dopey, ugly, steel trigger guard/bottom metal/magazine arrangement and put an aluminum triggerguard/floorplate or aluminum botton metal with flush fitting detachable magazine in it's stead, they could have a truly slick, good looking lightweight micro action sporter that would be very appealing to American hunters. Instead they have a micro action rifle that is neither good looking nor particularly light. Good job CZ, your engineering and marketing departments are right on the ball.

For varmint shooting the CZ527 magazine setup is perfect and feeds flawlessly. At least the examples in 204 and 223 I have do. The only thing I did to my 527's is taken some emory cloth to the magazine feed lips as they were scratching cases, which drove me nuts.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/30/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wouldn't say a Tikka vs Howa comparison be more appropriate?

I haven’t commented per the CZs because it’s been years since I saw one and
am not looking.

I have 2 Tikka T3, one is T3x. Very Light, Well Balanced, Best, Easiest, No hassle, Out of the box accuracy I’ve
experienced in 47 yrs of messing with CF rifles.

I’ve had 3 Howas. 223, 270, 06. All were good shooters.

ALL were heavy ! ! That’s been my experience.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/31/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you like Rem, but not the current stuff take a look at Bergara. They are 700's done right. That said I own CZ rimfires and am a fan, have not tried the centerfires. Tikka just feels cheap to me-obviously subjective. They have a great reputation for accuracy, but so does Bergara and they feel better to me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 257man, 65 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.