Print Thread
Hop To
H
HCDH66 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I am considering getting into handloading. I have zero experience with it and have always shot factory ammo. I also have no equipment.

What advice would you give me as to how to get started equipment-wise and what pitfalls do I need to avoid?

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Finding an experienced mentor can be a great help.

Get a couple of manuals with good how-to sections. The Lyman manual for example.

Keep your eyes open for a sale on one of the better starting kits.

Start with easy going cartridges. A 6.5-300 Weatherby isn't one for learning the ropes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Finding an experienced mentor can be a great help.

Get a couple of manuals with good how-to sections. The Lyman manual for example.

Keep your eyes open for a sale on one of the better starting kits.

Start with easy going cartridges. A 6.5-300 Weatherby isn't one for learning the ropes.

Good advice. Once you read the manuals a bit you might look at local classified or Craigslist. Sometimes you can find some bargains especially in estate sales.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'll echo mathman's suggestion on going with one of the starter kits. They're good values regardless of the brand you decide on. These new-to-handloading threads often turn into brand tug-of-wars as everyone likes his choice best. When I started I bought several manuals including Lymans and The ABC's of Reloading (this manual has no data, only a how to). I like having more than one reference whenever I'm studying up on something new. Later I bought Lee's Modern Reloading, Hornady's, Speer and Nosler Manuals for their data, not for the how-to sections. But I still looked through them and they all do a good job on that treatment. I didn't get Sierra's because they hadn't updated for so long, but I believe they have finally updated their manual. Yep, just checked. 6th edition shows up on Amazon. It might be worth considering. You can find a lot of handloading data online at Hodgdon Reloading.

Youtube videos on handloading are much more plentiful now than they were when I got going with it. If there's a method or piece of equipment you want to see in action, it's likely to be found on youtube now. You might also find the reviews of reloading equipment on MidwayUSA's website to be helpful in formulating your decisions. Other online suppliers of reloading and shooting equipment are Natchez Shooter's Supplies, Midsouth Shooters, Grafs, and Sinclairs. But for reviews, I think Midways is the best because they are arguably the largest supplier, much like Amazon in that regard, but not always the best price. So shop around and be aware of the differences in shipping cost in the shopping cart before you tally the total if you buy online. You might have some good local shops around you too. I've had good experience purchasing from all those I've mentioned.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Safety first, last, always. Avoid "pushing the envelope" until you have a few year's experience. If you know yourself to be one who can pick up a book and learn, start by reading the entire introduction to a handloading manual. Me, I needed a mentor -- a father-in-law who was an engineer. Last word -- it IS rocket science (technically.)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I am considering getting into handloading. I have zero experience with it and have always shot factory ammo. I also have no equipment.

What advice would you give me as to how to get started equipment-wise and what pitfalls do I need to avoid?

You don’t need to buy anything just yet since you’re considering.
A mentor would be good no doubt but there are alternatives to figure out if it’s for you. A good source is Varmint Al’s page it has a lot of info from basics on up.

https://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

YouTube which I don’t normally advocate for is a good source. Videos are there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zSG804HwVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmeiRMDiuBs

If it’s for you, then pick a caliber handgun or rifle. Then decide what is needed, what it’s startup cost will be including powder/primers, bullets for just that one. Get comfortable with that and the rest is easy.
Data is easily found for common calibers online at Hodgdons, Nosler, Ramshot/Accurate or Alliant. Sierra and Hornady offer apps and online subscriptions but it’s going to cost. Me, I prefer the books but online is quicker and easier at times.

Swifty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
HCDH,

I'm north of Lex. & always willing to help new reloader.

If in your area, or you're interested, let me know.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great advice given by all. I learned from my father but quit for years while in the military and such. When getting back in I got a manual and read it, then got another and read it. Finally started reloading and was having issues with necks. Guy are the range helped me out and taught me a bunch in one afternoon. He passed away unexpectedly but what he taught me was priceless. If you decide it's for you and purchase equipment buy quality stuff and watch the classifieds here as sets come up now and then.

+1 to gunzo for stepping up!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My advice is always the same to new handloader's. Buy one manual for the bullet's you think you want to use. Read the instruction's in the front of the manual until you think you understand them and go for it. Problem with getting several manuals is they actually all say the same thing, just in different ways. Don't confuse yourself; trying to read the same thing several different ways, could get confusing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by HCDH66

I bought an RCBS kit with a press, scale and powder measure around 1984 and still have and use that press and powder measure and the book that came with the kit. I've loaded thousands of rounds on it. So:

1. I think a single state press is where to start. It was only much later that I got a Redding T7 turret press.
2. I have a variety of dies but am partial to RCBS.
3. Pretty much any of the manuals will give you the basics of reloading a cartridge. I prefer the Nosler manual for most things.

The things to be careful of:

1. Start at the starting load and work up looking for signs of pressure. Do not think that just because the chronograph gives a lower velocity you can increase load. In fact, a chronograph plays NO part in my load work up.
2. Pick a common bullet weight for the cartridge you're loading for and pair it with the powder said to give the best accuracy for that bullet (the Nosler manual is good for powder recommendations). You don't need a special load for squirrels and another for deer. Really, if it will kill a deer it will also kill a squirrel.
3. If you have a question, ask. I think a lot of people on this forum are happy to help.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A Redding T7 can be thought of as seven single stage presses mounted in one spot. It presents no real additional complications to a new handloader, unlike a progressive such as a Dillon.

You and I don't see eye to eye on chronographs either.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some good advice some not so good. Back in the mid 80’s when chronographs were quite pricey I had to borrow one or do without. I realized real quick that without was not the best idea. Kinda like driving blindfolded. Haven’t been without one since, especially during load development.

Swifty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are a lot of good choices as far as equipment goes. For someone starting out, you might consider the Lee 4 hole turret press. You can use it as a single stage press if you like, but in the turret mode it is much faster. And the price is about the same.

A chronograph is your friend. Muzzle velocity is closely correlated with pressure. If you're shooting with the book specified barrel length and powder and getting book velocities, it's a good bet that you are also getting book pressures.

Be not weary in well doing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 68 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.