Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Interested in who is using what and why, backed up by real world experience and personal use. No hearsay, gun show, retail store, or any playground reviews please.

Looking more in the Sig BDX, Vortex Fury, etc budget. I have 2 pair of Meopta HD 10x42s that see most of the use, but wanting to go to one Bino/RF unit to replace one pair. Big eyes are covered too....

Function, RF reliability are more of a concern than pristine glass.

Last edited by joshf303; 11/13/19.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Scored some Leica 8x42 Geovid demos from Doug @ Cameraland earlier this year. They were just north of $1k by about 50 clams IIRC.

Glass is on par with my Ultravids.

They range to 1,000 yds quite well.

I'll most likely ditch my Leica 1200 LRF.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Scored some Leica 8x42 Geovid demos from Doug @ Cameraland earlier this year. They were just north of $1k by about 50 clams IIRC.

Geez man, you stole them at that price!

I have the same binos and agree they are quality all the way. Just got back from an oryx hunt and I was spotting game left and right using them, compared to my buddy who was using his Vortex spotter. There were times at very long distance where he was having trouble making out horns through the spotter that I could see through the binos.

Edited to add that I just noticed you said 8x42. Mine are 10x42.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 11/13/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Geez man, you stole them at that price!

I have the same binos and agree they are quality all the way. Just got back from an oryx hunt and I was spotting game left and right using them, compared to my buddy who was using his Vortex spotter. There were times at very long distance where he was having trouble making out horns through the spotter that I could see through the binos.

Congrats on the bull and thanks to both of you for the replies.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I've been trying to sell some 8x42 Geovids in the classifieds for awhile now.

Love them things, but I really wanna try the Sigs and I'm willing to take the hit optically for the ability to range much further and be able to mount them on the tripod.

The 15x56 Swaros are awesome, but I'd sure love to just carry one pair of binos that could do everything.

I'll send you those Geovids if you wanna check em out.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also scored some geovids from doug the 2200 model and have ranged out to 2000 plus on tree's and 1200 on animals. Use all the data to put into my ballistic app for longer shots. they are as good optically as my swarovski el's. I paid 1249.00

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For last 10 years or so I've been using 10x42 Geovids of some sort and have been very happy with them..no drama, they have just worked and the glass is just a very small step behind the 10x42 Swaro SV's that I have now sold.... so nice to glass and range at the same time.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Have used the 8x42 Geovids for around 8 years now, happily.
Got a notion 1 1/2 yrs. ago and got a set of 15x50 Geovids because I
hate "spotter" eye. Very happy with these also.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just got the Vortex Fury HD 5000's and love them. Got them on sale (13% off) at eurooptic. Total was like $1,035 with shipping/taxes etc included in that. Very happy with them.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Why did I go to Range finding binos when I had a good set of Lecia 1200 rf's and new Swarovski's SLC? On last years Elk hunt in Colorado I kept seeing elk at varying distance's I kept going from Bino's to Range finder then to my rifle I am getting older and slightly slower so I decided to cut out one step.

I checked out the Swarovski and Zeiss range finding binos, both were nice BUT the distance display were not as bright or clear as the Leica Geovid 2200 HD-B that I ended up buying. Very happy with them they have several ballistic drop setting and you can program custom drops.

Ted
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I work at Sportsman's Warehouse part-time and I have played with a Vortex Fury quite a bit. The other day with light snow drizzle I was able to easily Range a stop sign at 761 yards. I did this a number off times and it gave me the same rating everything else was pretty good too.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
I work at Sportsman's Warehouse part-time and I have played with a Vortex Fury quite a bit. The other day with light snow drizzle I was able to easily Range a stop sign at 761 yards. I did this a number off times and it gave me the same rating everything else was pretty good too.

I picked a pair up on a whim 3 weeks ago on a sale tip posted here by EdM. I like 'em and not sure I can tell a nickels difference between them and my Geovids.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Been using a Bushnell Fusion 10x42 combo bino/RF for almost a decade now, and I'd never dream of going back to separate units. Love them for both bow and rifle hunting. Haven't priced them lately, but I believe they go for less than a grand. (My eyes aren't great, so I couldn't see paying 2-3 times as much for a Euro optic.)

Like old Willys said, it's great to skip those extra steps when you have two different optics hanging around your neck--especially in the fast-paced world of coyote calling.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Josh; I hope this morning finds you well.

I have a set of the first generation geovids, from the first year they were available with HD glass. 2009? 2010? Clear easy to use reliable and consistent in ranging. I would say accurate in ranging as anything I have ranged and shot matches the expected trajectory of the rifle.

Not a single glitch I change batteries frequently so I never run dry at a key moment.

I really like the red display as it very easy to see. I have looked through RF binos with the black display and found them hard to see.

I love the RF binos especially with spotting for friends and family. Call the range and keep my eyes on the critter no chance of missing the shot while switching between RF and bino.

Really awesome for long stalks, spot and range landmarks drop out of sight and keep ranging landmarks as the stalk continues

They have been wet, dusty, muddy, as cold as -40 (C and F are the same at that temperature) never an issue.

I carry them a lot while hiking a range things all through time after estimating the range first. Teaches me I suck at judging distance, still keep trying to get better at estimating distance.

I love the Leica and would gladly buy another set when the time comes. That being said I have never used a different RF bino in the field so my ability to compare brands Is limited to non-existent

All the best.

GRF

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by Wyodogger

Like old Willys said, it's great to skip those extra steps when you have two different optics hanging around your neck--especially in the fast-paced world of coyote calling.

Right, I get the convienence of it. My question was geared more to why are you using the ones you are using.

Budget? Glass? Reliability?

Obliged...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean
I've been trying to sell some 8x42 Geovids in the classifieds for awhile now.

Love them things, but I really wanna try the Sigs and I'm willing to take the hit optically for the ability to range much further and be able to mount them on the tripod.

The 15x56 Swaros are awesome, but I'd sure love to just carry one pair of binos that could do everything.

I'll send you those Geovids if you wanna check em out.

PM sent

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Fotis

I picked a pair up on a whim 3 weeks ago on a sale tip posted here by EdM. I like 'em and not sure I can tell a nickels difference between them and my Geovids.

Some people on YouTube have had the same findings

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Been using the Bushnell Fusion 1600s for years now. Glass is usable but not impressive. Ranging ability is pretty darn good. Been able to get readings on reflective targets at 1760 yards. Can’t imagine going back to separate bino/rangefinder again. Thinking seriously about upgrading to Fury 5000s though. Glass has come a long way...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love my 10x 42 hdB 2200 would love a 3000 yard pair but the 2200 gets me to everything I can kill and for past that I have an old analog Swiss finder.

That said nothing compares to glassing spotting and getting behind the rifle skipping the whole get out the range finder step.
I typically end up waiting for partners patiently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have the HD-B 10x42 2000 yd model, upgraded from the HD-R 8x42 1400 yd model. I like them a whole lot....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.