Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Gorgeous animal. Congrats!

I've officially moved them onto my, "to do" list. wink

FC

Very, very tough animals that can take an incredible amount of physical damage making bullet placement critical. Also very wary with a very good sense of sight. Makes it hard to stalk up on them. Had some heart breaking long stalks go south on me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

FC

Joe..you would NOT be sorry!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

FC

Joe..you would NOT be sorry!!

Ingwe,

I was amazed and captivated by the beauty and majestic appearance of these animals. So unlike anything we have here at home. I felt like I was in some far off, exotic land, instead of the southwest US. Wonderful experience unlike anything else I’ve ever done.

Closest thing would be the time I saw a herd of red stag being led a by a big mature bull in in Germany when I was stationed there. Took my breath away as I had no idea just how beautiful those animals could be until I actually saw one in its natural habitat.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Very, very tough animals that can take an incredible amount of physical damage making bullet placement critical. Also very wary with a very good sense of sight. Makes it hard to stalk up on them. Had some heart breaking long stalks go south on me.

I was thinking of taking a 300. Are you suggesting the suffix should read, “WM”, instead of “SAV”?

Then again, that 7x57 is kinda itchin’ to pull off another, “stunt”...

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 11/14/19.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Ingwe,

I was amazed and captivated by the beauty and majestic appearance of these animals. So unlike anything we have here at home. I felt like I was in some far off, exotic land, .

Here's one I shot in a far off exotic land, a few years ago...they've been one of my very favorite things to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I was thinking of taking a 300. Are you suggesting the suffix should read, “WM”, instead of “SAV”?

FC

The SAV will do just fine. Or, the 7x57. The one I killed a few years ago fell to the little .308 and a SGK. (I know the SGK sucks). The point being, hit them in the shoulder and keep shooting until they fall.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

FC

I don’t think you can go wrong with whatever you decide to take as long as you put the slug into something it needs keep living. Marginal shots I’m sure would be a problem. I heard stories from wardens and biologists about them traveling miles with catastrophic wounds that would put anything else down. On the other hand they aren’t bullet proof, just very tough. My animal’s lungs and liver were shredded to a pulp and he kept getting up and falling down. I’ve never seen an animal with that much tenacity.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe,

I was amazed and captivated by the beauty and majestic appearance of these animals. So unlike anything we have here at home. I felt like I was in some far off, exotic land, .

Here's one I shot in a far off exotic land, a few years ago...they've been one of my very favorite things to hunt.

Beautiful animal Ingwe. They are right at the top of my list too. I feel lucky to be living somewhere where I can actually hunt them instead of just dream about it. You are a lucky man. I can only imagine what a wonderful experience that was. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

FC

Shot my last one with a 7x57 Joe...... grin

And my biggest one ( body size..) with a .303 British laugh

Last edited by ingwe; 11/14/19.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FC----Start applying for the tag. You may get lucky on the draw. Or better yet plan a trip over to the Kalahari. It's only money smile Bob

DryFly-----are you doing a shoulder mount? I got mine with a 90* turn on it. Reminds me of you photo. They make a great mount. Dang it, now I'm getting the bug. May have to look into a Scimitar Oryx in Texas.

Last edited by colorado bob; 11/14/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by colorado bob
FC----Start applying for the tag. You may get lucky on the draw. Or better yet plan a trip over to the Kalahari. It's only money smile Bob

DryFly-----are you doing a shoulder mount? I got mine with a 90* turn on it. Reminds me of you photo. They make a great mount. Dang it, now I'm getting the bug. May have to look into a Scimitar Oryx in Texas.

Bob,

I’m thinking Euro mount. Very simple, cheap and classy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.