Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well tried to limit my self to one rifle in same caliber but it got away from me in 6.5 Creedmoor. 6 of the same.

Have 3 die sets and 6 rifles in the same caliber, chambers are very similar. Thinking of using a Redding competition shell holder set for shoulder set back, and the Lee collet die. And still segregating, cases want to simplifly not make it harder.

The newest RH Tikka 6.5 CM chamber is quite a bit smaller than the rest, so I,ll size the similar rifles chambers to the smallest of those.

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/14/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If the chambers are very similar then just size for the smallest one. I do that for most of my 308's. I do have two outliers in my bunch however.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have five 7 mags, four 30-06’s, couple of other pairs of calibers. I full size the brass, shoot the same load in all of them. I would go crazy trying to keep separate brass for each one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see that as being an issue. I have several duplicate chamberings as well.

I would treat every rifle as a different chambering keeping brass separated. As for sizing I would imagine you want to partial full length size for brass longevity and precise fit. I use the same shell holder and use a feeler gauge for the precise space between shell holder and die body. After sizing the first case I check the fit in the chamber and fine tune if necessary.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I gave up on that the first time I realized I mixed the brass. Neck-sizer only.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Depends. If chambers are reasonably close will FL, or partial size to fit smallest chamber. My .300 Roys, .308s, '06s are like that.

But one current .300 Win really stretches them. Alot. So segregate brass, and run new-unfired over a larger expander to create a faux shoulder (first firing) for that one.

Last edited by Sam_H; 11/15/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I don't see that as being an issue. I have several duplicate chamberings as well.

I would treat every rifle as a different chambering keeping brass separated. As for sizing I would imagine you want to partial full length size for brass longevity and precise fit. I use the same shell holder and use a feeler gauge for the precise space between shell holder and die body. After sizing the first case I check the fit in the chamber and fine tune if necessary.

This is the way I go. Never owned to rifle's in the same cartridge for most my life then somehow ended up with two 243's. Both rifles have their own set of dies. With one set the partial sized case's will chamber easily in both rifles. With the other set the case's will only chamber in one rifle. Also only use one bullet in each rifle and the seating die is set for each. With the dies set, they get locked in and left. Both rifle's shoot very well. Close to 1/2" at 100yds. Onr use's 70gr SMK's the other 75gr Hornady V-Max.

If for some reason I decided to hunt deer with the 243, I'd buy a new one and set it up for it's own dies and bullet.

Last edited by DonFischer; 11/15/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by Azshooter

This is the way I go. Never owned to rifle's in the same cartridge for most my life then somehow ended up with two 243's. Both rifles have their own set of dies. With one set the partial sized case's will chamber easily in both rifles. With the other set the case's will only chamber in one rifle. Also only use one bullet in each rifle and the seating die is set for each. With the dies set, they get locked in and left. Both rifle's shoot very well. Close to 1/2" at 100yds. Onr use's 70gr SMK's the other 75gr Hornady V-Max.

If for some reason I decided to hunt deer with the 243, I'd buy a new one and set it up for it's own dies and bullet.

Exactly what I've done, and especially important belted cases.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Keep the brass separate, Lee collet neck size only. I load for 4 .223 and 4 7mm-08, I don’t FL size.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I just don’t have time or the patience to keep all that separate. The rifles I have will shoot an inch or less with the one loading I use. I don’t see how keeping separate loads for each rifle would improve my groups to make separate loads for each worth the trouble! I don’t shoot more than 265 yards

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I make up one load that fits in the tightest chamber and call it good. The approach works for us for .223/5.56, .243, .308 Win, .30-06 and .308 Norma which are all I have duplicate chamberings that I load for.

In the cases where I have a chamber that is noticeably tighter than its peers that rifle is the more accurate of them as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I just don’t have time or the patience to keep all that separate. The rifles I have will shoot an inch or less with the one loading I use. I don’t see how keeping separate loads for each rifle would improve my groups to make separate loads for each worth the trouble! I don’t shoot more than 265 yards

Janco can almost get her "quality" ammo to go "Bang!",most of the time. ALMOST. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan doing her BEST. Hint.

It is hardly "daunting" to monitor finite headspace control,for a colossal herd of rifles and the LAST fhuqking thing to do,is to shoot grandly excessive headspace,so you can mismatch same. Read that again. now one more fhuqking time. Hint.

More than a few of you Fhuqktards are VERY "lucky" to have an IQ lower than 17,or you'd be scaring yourselves to death and for GOOD fhuqking reason(s). Hint.

Bless your hearts and unbridled fhuqking STUPIDITY.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Thank you, I have been made fun of by Big Stick. I am somebody now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Janco,

You'll never be anybody and your aspirations,are fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your "abilities",whipped your own ass,with your own wares...please do not discount the magnificent fhuqking grandeur,of your STUPIDITY. Hint.

Rest assured,that nobody can "make" you appear to be a bigger CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqk than you can and that by simply doing your best. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying so hard.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have lots of rifles chambered for the same cartridge; 13x223, 11x22-250, 21x243,etc., etc., and have a dedicated set of brass for each rifle that I reload for. I have either 200 or 300 dedicated cases for my varmint rifles and 100 for my other rifles. I'm interested in maximizing the accuracy potential of each rifle, plus I have pretty much all the time I want to spend reloading, so while my process may be more involved/complicated than you prefer, it is a process that works for me. Heck, I even deburr the primer holes and trim new cases to a uniform length before I weigh and sort them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only had two in the same caliber once, 243's the brass would not interchange. A Winchester Model 70 and a Santa Barbara Mauser. Brass from one, even full length re-sized would not chamber in the other. Both however would handle factory ammo with no issues. Once fired no way. I finally bought one brand that was the Mauser's.. Any thing else was the Winchesters.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
I make up one load that fits in the tightest chamber and call it good. The approach works for us for .223/5.56, .243, .308 Win, .30-06 and .308 Norma which are all I have duplicate chamberings that I load for.

In the cases where I have a chamber that is noticeably tighter than its peers that rifle is the more accurate of them as well.

I do the same thing. Its not rocket science. Some of these fu cks like to not keep things simple..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have three 243's and utilize three different brands of brass to keep them separate. And five 270's. Gotta' agree with Stick--headspace counts. It's always quite possible to have chambers so similar that the brass can be sized the same, but throats are going to change at different rates unless shooting the same powder, bullets, and same number of rounds every time. So seating depth will most always be different between rifles.

I go so far as to buy different colored and/or different brand of ammo boxes and assign them to each rifle. Just got an order in from Natchez that included some of those cute, pink topped boxes made by Smart Reloader (whoever the heck they are).

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Keep the brass separate, Lee collet neck size only.

^^ This ^^ but am down to 1 ea except a couple 308s, so it's a moot point.

One 308 is a pump so requires FLR and the other bolt gun get the collet die. That brass stays separate.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I separated same caliber but different rifles by brass head stamp. Fed, rem, WW, etc. I do the same in my shotgun shells for singles and Handicap. Simple to ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.