Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Bags!" said the Queen. "Otherwise you'd be King!"

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Watch a friends T/C encore muzzleloader snap at the wrist using one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got a Lead Sled back when it was the thing. I don't use it.

I like my Wichita rest, Protektor leather pads. I like for the gun to recoil freely, hopefully the same every time. To me, you get better groups.

Big boomers are shot using a standing bench, like Elmer showed us in his books. Ole Elmer was right on. You can take a lot more recoil standing vs. hunkered down on a bench.

The photo is a bench I made for my Z-71, long enough to accommodate my free standing Magnetospeed Chrono. The stool is a Gibraltar drum throne. To me it's tough and easily adjustable, about the best bench rest stool I've ever used. Not cheap, but it should last two or three lifetimes.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I like my Wichita rest, Protektor leather pads. I like for the gun to recoil freely, hopefully the same every time. To me, you get better groups.

Big boomers are shot using a standing bench, like Elmer showed us in his books. Ole Elmer was right on. You can take a lot more recoil standing vs. hunkered down on a bench.

The photo is a bench I made for my Z-71, long enough to accommodate my free standing Magnetospeed Chrono. The stool is a Gibraltar drum throne. To me it's tough and easily adjustable, about the best bench rest stool I've ever used. Not cheap, but it should last two or three lifetimes.

DF

I remember you posting that pic a few weeks ago and saying your buddy uses it left handed. Does he just shoot from the other end of the bench? Have been wanting to build one since you posted but my kids are backward handed so wanted to figure that out first. Anything you’d change in hindsight to make it more lefty friendly?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I remember you posting that pic a few weeks ago and saying your buddy uses it left handed. Does he just shoot from the other end of the bench? Have been wanting to build one since you posted but my kids are backward handed so wanted to figure that out first. Anything you’d change in hindsight to make it more lefty friendly?

Buddy bellied up to the extension from the wrong side to shoot left handed. I sure didn't design it for a lefty, he just found a way... grin

DF

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you df.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use lead sled.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have something similar to the lead sled. It's a Shooter's Ridge Deluxe Rifle Rest. Stock photo below. I've had it for years and still haven't assembled it. I use a standard Caldwell combo front bag and rear rabbit ears. I think there are better rear bags out there, but the front bag is fine to me. I can see how having an adjustable front rest is superior though. I've read the concerns on splitting stocks, but I thought the greater concern was the more abrupt toll taken by the scope and mount setup if the sled is weighed down too heavily.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I guess I just don't understand these rests. Especially since I can't actually interface with the rifle. The cheek wels If a rifle recoils too much for effective use off a bench, I guess I would simply look for alternate methods versus these. 'Course, I only shoot up to a 300 WM or muzzle loaders as far as recoil goes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a Lead Sled for about four years. I use it for working up loads and with the chronograph and do not put weights on it. I think it has the potential to damage stocks and I had a scope move in my Talley QD rings once and wonder if repeated use might damage a scopes internals.

I much prefer bags and/or the Caldwell Rock BR over the Lead Sled and can never get comfortable with a Lead Sled and shoot better groups with bags.

My 8 lb. custom .338 and a customized 7 lb. Marlin 1895 in 45-70 are my worst kickers with their heavy hunting loads. But, since I have had loads for them for many years I should just sell the Lead Sled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No sled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I have had a Lead Sled for about four years. I use it for working up loads and with the chronograph and do not put weights on it. I think it has the potential to damage stocks and I had a scope move in my Talley QD rings once and wonder if repeated use might damage a scopes internals.

I much prefer bags and/or the Caldwell Rock BR over the Lead Sled and can never get comfortable with a Lead Sled and shoot better groups with bags.

My 8 lb. custom .338 and a customized 7 lb. Marlin 1895 in 45-70 are my worst kickers with their heavy hunting loads. But, since I have had loads for them for many years I should just sell the Lead Sled.

If ya gotta use one, let it slide with recoil, don't weight it down.

IMO.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've thought about selling my Shooter's Ridge Deluxe Rest, but looking at it, I could take a hacksaw just past the rear leveling screw and have a pretty nice adjustable front rest. Not sure if the rear leg extension would be in the way at that length, but it might work. If I cut it further forward, I'd lose the existing hole and bottom welded nut for the rear level adjuster. But that isn't insurmountable.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have experienced more than one point-of-impact change with Lead Sleds compared to other rests, especially with lighter-weight rifles--even sleds with no weight added. Usually it's not vast, but have seen it be enough that I prefer using a conventional rest.

When shooting really hard-kickers, I use a bag between my shoulder and the rifle, usually a 25-pound shot bag filled with lighter material like cat-box litter. It spreads the recoil over a wider area of the shoulder, without changing point of impact

Using a really heavy bag, such as an actual 25-pound bag of shot, can change POI considerably, though that depends om the shooter, position, and rifle/cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never have seen the need for the sled, used bags all my life. Only rifle I ever saw break at the wrist was a guy using a lead sled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone else think that if you need a lead sled to sight in your guns you have no business hunting with a rifle you are afraid of shooting?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've found that the POI can vary enough to notice when a rifle is held differently. For example, between resting it on a standard benchrest as against holding it in both hands, with the back of the weak hand rested and the butt against my shoulder. When I'm sighting in for hunting I use the latter, so that the POI will match up to what I'll get with an improvised rest in the field. It will also align near enough to prone unsupported or sitting. Of course for competition shooting the zeroing is done from the shooting position, and refined with the sighters before shots to count.

Sometimes the zeroing is done from a bench, holding the rifle as described. Sometimes from a rest over a vehicle bonnet ("hood") or prone behind a backpack. With a rifle which boots a bit I prefer to be standing or kneeling behind the rest, rather than sitting on a chair hunched over it.

I've never had any use for Lead Sleds, both because of concern about what they'll do to the rifle and for the reason that the POI will not match what I'll get in the field, which makes the exercise a bit pointless.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Light weight guns are even worse.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Front rest and rear bag here. Too much bad info on the sled and I shoot better off the other anyways

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It was 2008. A friend asked me to tune some loads for his 340 Wea in a Mk V deluxe. Half a dozen powders, four different bullets, three different primers, various seating depths, and charge weights. Then start all over again after we determined the barrel was shot out and got a new Pac-Nor installed.

Oh, did I mention the torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Yes, sometimes there is a time and a place for the Lead Sled. I used it on a plywood table with no weight. And it made it possible for me to shoot the 340 at a time when it was extremely painful to shoot even the 260 with 120s.

But I have not had the sled on the bench since I healed from my shoulder repair. I have a Hoppes front rest with a small sandbag and a bunny ear bag for the rear as well as several home made canvas sand bags in various dimensions and weights.

Oh yeah, the MK V made 1/2 MOA with a Vortex PST 6-20 and a Hornady 225, or Nosler ballistic silver tip in 200 gr with the new Pac-Nor barrel.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.