Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't get the Grendel. I like old school cool stuff. That's why I have an original 1899 Savage with a 20" barrel and an 18" Malcolm scope, in 22 HP, and a 1928 model K 99, in 300 with Noske scope. I always liked P.O. Ackley, so I'd go with the 25 Ackley Mag.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hi. I understand that you don't like the 6.5 Grendel. No problem. If there is one thing that some folks on this board don't seem to understand, it's that we all have our likes and dislikes. They are generally based on where we live and what we hunt. For that reason, there are some cartridges that you, me and others just can't be bothered with. That's okay.

With the old school stuff in mind, and after discussing it with a good friend, I will be buying the 6.5x55mm. It's woody, and has tenure...even if it isn't as old as the 303 British.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't get me wrong, I like the Grendel just fine. You said talk me out of it, was just trying to help. I bought a contender when I graduated high school in 74, then traded it to a friend. I'm going to try and get it back, it had a 14" 35 Rem bbl on it, a 45 Colt, 9mm, and a 22lr. Then I might be looking at a 6.5 Grendel.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had decided not to get it after talking with my old high school buddy. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as having too many rifles, but I am going to have be more selective. smile

I got a Contender a few years ago. I now have four barrels for it. The trigger is nice and it's a dream to carry.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the age of reason. Got one more in the pipe for my old-age plinker, then the counter's going to start spinning the other way.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote][/quote]The only.place for the Grendel is because it fits in an .220 Russian/.223 length repeating action.

Darm sure no intelligent reason to use one in a single shot that has no cartridge length restrictions.

Unless you are already set up with brass and dies for the Grendel , I would go 6.5 ×55 Swedish.

Handloaded, it will do amything on the low end a Grendel will do and on the high end anything a Creedmoor or .260 Rem will do.

It's also just unusual enough to be cool.

Last edited by jk16; 10/18/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

"Why bother getting all that new equipment when you've already got everything here? If you really want a 6.5 again, use what you have!"

Sometimes, I hate the voice of reason.

That doesn't make any sense. He wants you to buy something you already have? What's the point? Doesn't sound reasonable to me at all.
You need to find new friends. laugh

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just placed the order for this rifle. I guess this means another winter project. The 6.5 Grendel probably won't happen. Possibly a 357 Maximum barrel from MGM later.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just placed the order for this rifle. I guess this means another winter project. The 6.5 Grendel probably won't happen. Possibly a 357 Maximum barrel from MGM later.

I only have one little safe for bolt guns, and that one could sit right in the front, next to my 1919 NRA Match Rifle.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Swede?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes. An M96 sporter. VG bore. Stock needs refinishing. About $190USD.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for you. I picked up a Husky (FN) .30/06 a year ago and it's good shooter, but kind of rough around the edges. Might drop it into another stock I have. Might just sell it. There's an awful lot of "deer rifles" around here. The madness has to stop sometime.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tradeex has a number of 1600s, M96s, M98s and more at good prices, but people want to buy Creedmoors. That's fine. I'll take one of the discount "other 6.5s".

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We all should have a few PPC rounds in guns at some point in our life....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had MGM spin me up a 22” 6.5 Grendel in stainless matching the old 21” barrel taper. I’ve not shot it much but factory ammo looks good enough I don’t know if I’ll even bother to reload for it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jkingrph
If i could get one of those at a reasonable price and in excellent condition, I would jump on it. Now I have built 3 AR types in 6.5 Grendel and finally last year got my hands on a pretty little CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. I started early in the 6.5 Grendel game, when brass was expensive and hard to find so got a large quantiy of IMI 7.62x39 brass and sized it all down in 6.5 Grendel dies to be fireformed, which is easy and straightforward with that little cartridge.

It's probably the mildest shooting caliber I have, recoil even in the lightweight CZ is much less than a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

I think the appearance of the 6.5 Creedmoor, and many younger shooters not wanting a used rifle, has caused these rifles to sit. They have been on Tradeex's shelves for a long time. Recoil of these reworked M96s, scoped, is about 12 ft/lb. Quite mild. I had a few of the M96s years ago, but never got around to fixing them up, and sold them off. With so many rifles in the $225 to $300 range, it would probably be foolish to bother with a Grendel or a Creedmoor.

Could be, I have pretty well stopped shooting the AR types and stick with the CZ in 6.5 Grendel. I have accumulated six or seven of the 96 Swedes and all are fantastic shooters, I got lucky when I came across one at a gun show, I did not know what it was and I don't think the dealer did either. It was actually a M38, a 1900 year model, made by Mauser Obendorf, with a two digit serial number, all parts matching. After some reading and posting on the Swedish Military rifle forum I learned it was one of a special run of 5000 made in 1900 by Mauser. I recently put a little Leupold scout scope one using a BadAce scout scope mount that replaces the rear sight, a fantastic product out of Canada. I had previously tried a B Square mount and could not get the scope even roughly bore sighted. The BadAce tactical worked fine and allows the use of standard Pictnanny type scope rings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.