Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"Asking" prices on other Internet sites are just that, asking rather than selling. Dunno why some get upset at that--it's one of the basic principles of capitalism. But when I want to sell something, the asking price is pretty reasonable--because I actually WANT to sell it.

Gunbroker--and similar sites--remind me of the older guys (some even older than me) at local gun shows, who keep bringing the same pre-'64 Winchesters (or other "classic" guns) with the same price-tags they've had on 'em for years. They don't really want to sell them. Instead they want to show 'em off, and bullshit with the other old farts.

Exactly my thoughts on it too. I don't pay any attention to "dealers" and their asking prices, selling prices are the only thing that matters. Priced right, stuff sells.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Again, as I suggested earlier, it depends on finding the right market.

Yes, the market for "classic" guns is shrinking, but not as much as many here believe. There's still a major market for top-grade classics--which does NOT mean the basic pre-'64 Model 70 .30-06, or a basic Model 12 shotgun or Model 94. That's obviously because the guys who believe XYZ factory gun, made back when they were young, was absolutely the best in the world, are dying off.

But there is still a market for top-grade side-by-side shotguns, and GOOD custom rifles--whether older walnut-stocked models or today's top synthetic-stocked accuracy models.

But most Campfire members buy rifles and shotguns that don't cost much more than $500--or scopes, for that matter. That's because the average Campfire member is looking for a bargain--and in his 60's.

"Asking" prices on other Internet sites are just that, asking rather than selling. Dunno why some get upset at that--it's one of the basic principles of capitalism. But when I want to sell something, the asking price is pretty reasonable--because I actually WANT to sell it.

Gunbroker--and similar sites--remind me of the older guys (some even older than me) at local gun shows, who keep bringing the same pre-'64 Winchesters (or other "classic" guns) with the same price-tags they've had on 'em for years. They don't really want to sell them. Instead they want to show 'em off, and bullshit with the other old farts.

Exactamundo. I was at a gunsmiths shop yesterday, who was exactly as you describe. He had a ton of old cool guns, but the best ones he would say, "that one is expensive, or its going to cost a lot for you to walk out with that one". He had some pristine pre 64 stocks, but they were hiding behing some shotguns on a shelf. I ended up buying a new looking featherweight stock with montecarlo cheek piece and aluminum butt plate, but it was not chesp. It will, however, fit right on my 30-06 featherweight i just bought for $450.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
It's a great time to pick up models you have always wanted !

One section of the market that is still fairly strong is old military weapons

that is a very true statement

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've not read the entire thread but just spent the weekend at the Tulsa Gun Show. Over 4,500 tables in one 11 acre building. Here are a few observations.
1. The number of people carrying guns around wanting to sell or trade was down from the last show.
2. The number of people buying guns, based on what I could see and others there who were selling, was down.
3. The number of people attending the show was about average, however today the number of people seemed a bit lower than usual on a Sunday.

The show, for those who haven't attended before, is one to put on your bucket list. I've been setting up at this show since the mid 80's and it seems to get bigger every year. I thought prices for used guns at this show was still high and I heard lots of people commenting about it.

If some other posters attended the show this weekend, I would like to hear their thoughts.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was at the Tulsa show on Saturday and the attendance was about like past shows. It did seem that some guns that had been commanding higher prices in the past were beginning to come back down. Marlin (JM) rifles seemed to be lower than past shows. S&W revolvers prices seemed the same or higher. Black gun market appeared flat. Talked to a few dealers I knew and they said far more tire kickers than buyers. All that said if you get the chance this is a show you should go to at least once. If it is firearm related it is probably there somewhere.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I know of two gun shops here in Colorado that have closed their doors. Both of them specialized in the black rifle/prepper/law enforcement thing. Five years ago at the height of the Obama scare, one of those shops on a Sat morning would have a line out the door and shoulder to shoulder inside.

What I'm seeing at the pawn shops and on Armslist regionally is prices are definitely lower for the average firearm,

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I've been slowly liquidating my accumulation (it never was organized enough to constitute a collection) after a heart issue last year. I'm trying to get down to things I'm going to shoot regularly and dispose of the rest.

I've found that there's relatively little interest in most of what I have for sale - revolvers (mostly 1980s or 90s era S&Ws), sxs shotguns (British and European), single shot rifles (mostly small frame Martini actions built into custom rifles) and blue steel and walnut bolt actions. My local gun dealer tells me that the hot market right now is military stuff. I've never owned any military firearms except a Stevens 416 .22 with U.S. Property markings and a couple of surplus S&W Model 1917s.

The younger guys seem to be fine with polymer and some sort of parkerized or stainless finish. I've always preferred blue steel and walnut. Guys my age are selling into a down market and true collectors seem to be liquidating their fine firearms collections at an ever increasing pace. Look at some of the higher end auction sites to see just how many collectible firearms are hitting the market and what they are bringing versus 10 years ago. It won't bring you much comfort if your collection is a key component in funding your retirement.

I sent you a pm.....bob

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bob:

I sent you a response and e-mailed some photos.

Paul

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
There's a school of thought which holds that as Baby-Boomers retire and/or die off, their various investments, be they securities, real estate, or collectibles(including guns) will decline in value as they are sold off to support the Boomers in retirement or as Boomers' estates are liquidated. The various markets will have more sellers than buyers the thinking goes. That will be a bitter pill for some who've chosen to believe that guns are such good investments.

On the other hand, not too many months ago I saw an ad for one of the big regional auction houses that handle a lot of upscale guns: No commissions on the sellers' side; the auctioneers would be living on those buyers' premiums. Evidently those auctioneers believe buyers will outnumber sellers. Who knows?

Last edited by Ploughman; 11/14/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hit a couple of shops today the racks are full of guns that are basically run of the mill, nothing really collectible. Tactical rifles are stacked up and prices are all over the place. Lots of tire kickers, tons of 270s 308s and 30-06s bolt actions out there. See a fair amount of custom military rifles for sale, but very few all original military surplus anywhere

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Again, as I suggested earlier, it depends on finding the right market.

Yes, the market for "classic" guns is shrinking, but not as much as many here believe. There's still a major market for top-grade classics--which does NOT mean the basic pre-'64 Model 70 .30-06, or a basic Model 12 shotgun or Model 94. That's obviously because the guys who believe XYZ factory gun, made back when they were young, was absolutely the best in the world, are dying off.

But there is still a market for top-grade side-by-side shotguns, and GOOD custom rifles--whether older walnut-stocked models or today's top synthetic-stocked accuracy models.

But most Campfire members buy rifles and shotguns that don't cost much more than $500--or scopes, for that matter. That's because the average Campfire member is looking for a bargain--and in his 60's.

This last paragraph says it all for some of those guys. I'll bet I've seen the same guns on the same tables for years. They have not intentions of selling them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dont try to sell a model 12 Winchester right now. It's hard to even give one away.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hard to give anything away right now. Decided to keep most of my “for sale stuff” because I refuse to give it away.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Dont try to sell a model 12 Winchester right now. It's hard to even give one away.

Mike that really surprises me. Do you know why ?

M 12s & 97s WERE always appreciated and not cheap.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by moosemike

Mike that really surprises me. Do you know why ?

M 12s & 97s WERE always appreciated and not cheap.

Jerry

I agree Jerry. But apparently "times they are a changin."

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.