Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
While I’ve never had it happen a friend seen some fail to expands on his mountain goat.

If I’m hunting with them I run a PCB bit into the tip to ease my mind. Been doing that for a few years.

ELDX have been pretty decent, still prefer Berger’s or scenars.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Small sample, but I watched a rag bull take four (4) 7mm ELDXs straight to the chest this year, and he stumbled around for a full minute or so before falling over.

Dead on its feet after one?

Yes. About as perfect of a hit as a guy could hope for.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Small sample, but I watched a rag bull take four (4) 7mm ELDXs straight to the chest this year, and he stumbled around for a full minute or so before falling over.

Are you also being sarcastic? 😎🤣🤣🤣.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

He's got to be. What idiot would keep pumping an animal full of lead, if they knew it was "dead on its feet"?? Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My hand is raised

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
T is good as they get so I expected there’s a reason.

I know here we hunt public ground and elk isn’t yours until it’s dicks in the dirt so maybe he was claiming it with the last three.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have even shot them for trying to get up. Just saying.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s really surprising that bullet manufacturers cannot figure out how to make some high BC bullets that are built with a better bonding process. With the increase in long range hunting it seems every hunting forum has these discussions about Hornady and Berger bullets with many mixed reviews on these frangible bullets performance on game.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
LR shooting, results in low impact speeds which require softer projectiles to open. With the lack of hydrostatic shock a bullet that opens rapidly is a great benefit.
The problem is most hunters end up using these bullets inside the window where velocity is still adequate to open even the best premium bullets. Then they bitch that the bullet failed. My opinion is that the regular nosler Accubond is the best bullet for all ranges. I Concede that it’s not necessarily the best at any one given range but it covers the gamut of all ranges the best. It’s just good enough for about any hunting speed or distance.

But when chasing BC the harsh reality is that the bullets that give the best BC have been designed intentionally to be very soft.
If they weren’t there would be a guy that had a bullet failure at 1100 yards and the bullet would be blackballed ASAP.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/14/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

He's got to be. What idiot would keep pumping an animal full of lead, if they knew it was "dead on its feet"?? Just sayin..

I shot one of my bigger bulls a second time as he was on his back, all four hooves in the air. I thought he was going to get up and I wanted to avoid that.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
LR shooting, results in low impact speeds which require softer projectiles to open. With the lack of hydrostatic shock a bullet that opens rapidly is a great benefit.
The problem is most hunters end up using these bullets inside the window where velocity is still adequate to open even the best premium bullets. Then they bitch that the bullet failed. My opinion is that the regular nosler Accubond is the best bullet for all ranges. I Concede that it’s not necessarily the best at any one given range but it covers the gamut of all ranges the best. It’s just good enough for about any hunting speed or distance.

But when chasing BC the harsh reality is that the bullets that give the best BC have been designed intentionally to be very soft.
If they weren’t there would be a guy that had a bullet failure at 1100 yards and the bullet would be blackballed ASAP.

Agree .
Amazing at the number of threads i've read over the years at LRH , here and other places .
7mm magnum shooter shoots a deer WAY OUT THERE at 250 yards then complains about the LR bullet grenading the deer . It's not as bad as it was 12-15 years ago .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've learned to shoot it they're wigglin, maybe it's the terrain we have, but I don't like trailing shiit

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it is still moving it is still catching bullets

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My opinion is that the regular nosler Accubond is the best bullet for all ranges. I Concede that it’s not necessarily the best at any one given range but it covers the gamut of all ranges the best. It’s just good enough for about any hunting speed or distance.

I've also found the standard NAB to be tough to beat for all-around use as a hunting bullet. The 130gr 6.5mm and 160gr 7mm versions have been very dependable on game.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
It’s really surprising that bullet manufacturers cannot figure out how to make some high BC bullets that are built with a better bonding process. With the increase in long range hunting it seems every hunting forum has these discussions about Hornady and Berger bullets with many mixed reviews on these frangible bullets performance on game.

Oh, they absolutely know how to do it. The reason they don't is that not enough people will pay for them to justify the cost of manufacture.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I probably won’t be using them after using them this year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
I probably won’t be using them after using them this year.

Me neither

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Notta.

Elk didn't go anywhere but in a circle, so the shooter started putting more rounds in him. One shot (the third, I believe by the animal's reaction) was a bit back in the liver or possible front part of the guts) but the other three shots were solid in the lungs.

Just one of those times, I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I trust that you're the sarcastic one.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Agreed. Get all set up to kill animals at 5-700 yds. End up killing most game at 60 yards.

I did put a 147 EldM through a wolf at 400 yds this fall. Very little damage to my surprise. Pencil sizes in and out. Didn’t poke around in internals but the wolf sure went down in a hurry with minimal flopping.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 44 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.