Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an FN custom Mauser with a magazine problem. I can load 5 rounds into the magazine but only the first two feed. The last three are tilted nose down and just create a jam. The rifle never did this before with any load I've use but this was a new load I thought I might use with the 180 gr. Accubond. It works just fine with the 165 gr. AB seated to the same depth. Any ideas?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The "as designed " follower spring should have two different width "tongues". The narrow one should engage the follower, the wide should engage the floorplate. You might check that. It's kind of unlikely, since it feeds properly with the 165. I have never ran into your problem. As a last resort, you might try to tweak the spring to exert some additional force on the forward end of the follower?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
PS...Don't want to annoy you...but you ARE operating the bolt briskly I assume? Operating the bolt in the stealth mode can create feeding problems where none exist. It is, after all, a military design.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
PS...Don't want to annoy you...but you ARE operating the bolt briskly I assume? Operating the bolt in the stealth mode can create feeding problems where none exist. It is, after all, a military design.

not in a properly functioning rifle.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Z1r, You are right, but the o.p. said "custom" FN. As an example, let's say it was a military contract action for 8x57 and later sporterized to say, a .257 R...then the feed rails are trying to contain a shorter, reduced diameter, increased body taper cartridge, and this can create feeding problems. Where the original 8x57 will feed flawlessly, slow, fast, and upside down 4 ways from Sunday...a large divergence from the parent design may not feed flawlessly. Barreling a military Mauser in .284 Win. is a classic example, I've done 3 or 4 and they all needed tweaking before the customer took delivery.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I should have been more clear. The rifle is a custom based on a commercial FN action chambered to the 30-06. The original chambering before rebarreling was 30-06.

I was thinking maybe it might have to do with my handloads but it did the same thing with some factory ammo. Sometimes it'll only feed two and other times three but the round that hang up have the noses pointed down.

I have several other rifles on commercial FNs and FNs marked J.C. Higgins M50 and none of those are having this problem.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some strategic tweaking of the follower spring might work. See if it comes up "straight" from the floorplate, or it it's tilted forward. If you;re holding the floorplate and the front of the follower is taking a dive, that's what I'd expect to see. Maybe a new follower spring is also a good idea because if it's an FN, that's what, mid Sixties? Spring might have tired out a little.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by flintlocke

not in a properly functioning rifle.

I agree. If its working properly it should be fine at any speed.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.