24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Why is the LOP for higher end (walnut) English style custom guns usually longer than the std 13.5"? The Rigby Highland Stalker is a good example. Mens = 14 1/4" Womens = 13 7/8"

I'm 5'12" tall and 13.5" works fine for me, but see a lot longer for custom.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Convention. Plus by making the long to start with it is easier shorten them if needed.

Most people find they shoot better in a variety of situations with shorter LOP.
Try a few and decide for yourself.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It has to do with the grip pull length. I can stick my finger way through the trigger guard on most factory stocks with the "standard" short vertical grip. On rifles I build with a longer open grip, my finger tip naturally lands on the trigger. The correct length of pull has more to do with how close your hand is to your face than where the trigger is. A longer open grip pull is also easier for those with smaller hands to comfortably and repeatably choke up on. The stupid short vertical factory grips are not comfortable for me to rotate my wrist to pull my finger back enough to just have the tip on the trigger. I'm not some freak of nature, just 6'2" and can just barely palm a basketball.

One year at a guild show I brought Terry's cool little Mini Mauser that was posted around here to display on my table. It had a 4" grip pull and 14" LOP. I brought the pattern stock along with my own MIniX barreled action so people could keep their paws off Terry's rifle, but get the feel of it. Lee Helgeland hung out chewing the fat with me quite a few times during the show. I'm guessing he's around 5'6" and couldn't put the pattern stock down with my barreled action in it. He kept mounting the rifle pointing it at random things around the show. He loved the fit and I later asked him what he thought the LOP was. He came back with 13 1/2". Couldn't believe it was 14"

A rifle like this would feel quite short for most people if it had a 13 1/2" pull.
[Linked Image]

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
It has to do with the grip pull length. I can stick my finger way through the trigger guard on most factory stocks with the "standard" short vertical grip. On rifles I build with a longer open grip, my finger tip naturally lands on the trigger. The correct length of pull has more to do with how close your hand is to your face than where the trigger is. A longer open grip pull is also easier for those with smaller hands to comfortably and repeatably choke up on. The stupid short vertical factory grips are not comfortable for me to rotate my wrist to pull my finger back enough to just have the tip on the trigger. I'm not some freak of nature, just 6'2" and can just barely palm a basketball.

One year at a guild show I brought Terry's cool little Mini Mauser that was posted around here to display on my table. It had a 4" grip pull and 14" LOP. I brought the pattern stock along with my own MIniX barreled action so people could keep their paws off Terry's rifle, but get the feel of it. Lee Helgeland hung out chewing the fat with me quite a few times during the show. I'm guessing he's around 5'6" and couldn't put the pattern stock down with my barreled action in it. He kept mounting the rifle pointing it at random things around the show. He loved the fit and I later asked him what he thought the LOP was. He came back with 13 1/2". Couldn't believe it was 14"

A rifle like this would feel quite short for most people if it had a 13 1/2" pull.
[Linked Image]

Exactly so. Measuring length of pull from the trigger is really going about it the wrong way The distance of your thumb from your nose is a lot more important! GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker

[Linked Image]

Thanks for that reply. I am getting a rifle done similar to this but have always in the past used factory stocks (mostly 700s) with the std LOP of 13.5" and that has always worked fine. I don't want to miss something here when I decide on the LOP for this rifle.

Do you think 14" would be ok for this style grip?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're spending the money for a custom project you need to make sure with your stockmaker. If he uses a duplicator, he could send you the pattern if you're too far to show up at the shop. Worth the $ spent on shipping a pattern back & forth, with the metalwork if possible. Doesn't have to be polished to the nines for this purpose, just needs the correct trigger and sights, or bases in the correct location. My point here is that there doesn't need to be a bunch of labor $$ tied up in what gets shipped. Sights can even be super glued on just to check fit. Scope bases as well, but they need to be similar in height to the final product.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks ...... I will discuss this with the maker. He's in Alberta so not going to be driving over to see him. smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
With that grip, I would probably like a 14" lop. I am 6'1" and slim. There are so many things which enter into stock dimensions that it is kind of difficult to make recommendations. How a person likes to stand, whether he prefers to shoot with the elbow high or low, how he likes to have his head. Whether he shoots a lot offhand or from sitting or prone, all of these affect what stock shape and dimensions should be. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
With that grip, I would probably like a 14" lop. I am 6'1" and slim. There are so many things which enter into stock dimensions that it is kind of difficult to make recommendations. How a person likes to stand, whether he prefers to shoot with the elbow high or low, how he likes to have his head. Whether he shoots a lot offhand or from sitting or prone, all of these affect what stock shape and dimensions should be. GD

I once had Bevan King build me a M700 in 358NM and put it into an old Brown Precision stock that I had here. I didn't really pay att'n to the stock while shooting it and had no problems with it at the range at all. It wasn't till I stood that rifle up beside another that I realized it only had a 12.5" LOP.

It's lucky I didn't lose and eyebrow with that one. grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What is the convention for measuring LOP? Looking thru my racks everyone’s 13.5 seems to be different. I’ve preferred 13.25 since Mel Forbes told me that’s what I needed when I told him my shirt measurements.

My Manners stocks at 13.5 are all longer than my McMillans at 13.5 and my Fieldcrafts seem fine and they list theirs at 14?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 5' 9" and I want a 14" pull shotgun and a 15" deer rifle for shooting prone with a bipod.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One thing to consider. When your actually hunting you often have multiple layers of clothing on. As such a little shorter LOP isnt a bad thing. I run my hunting guns at 13.25 and my varmint rigs at 13.5.
But honestly there are a ton of things I worry about more than LOP.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/01/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.