Print Thread
Hop To
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 6.5x47Lapua that isn't feeding correctly using ADL bottom metal . First round [of 3] slides up feed ramp - then gets wedged - bullet tip too high , spring and/or follower wants to tilt down front of follower . Second round same/same - I can back off forward pressure and jigglewiggle the round into the chamber . Last round tilts follower so steep the bolt won't pass the butt of the follower because it's nosediving front .
Mag box/spring/follower/hardware all new from Brownells .

Took bottom metal out of my 243 adl that works perfect - swapped everything - stock/all bottom metal , 6.5L does same exact thing with both sets of bottom metal .
Any ideas why this is happening ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same type issue and thought it might be due to fact my 6mm is intermediate round in a short action. I just now swapped out for a new stock in BDL but the feed issue you describe didn't go away until I bought a new and stiffer mag spring. Since yours is new I wonder if the bottom of the spring\base is not flush with the stock?

Check out this link of other guys facing same issue. I hope it helps : ADL feeding issue

Keep us posted.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 6.5 ai. Did the same thing, a machined follower fixed it.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
My 6.5 ai. Did the same thing, a machined follower fixed it.

Same for me with a 7/08 I had.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
kenjs1 ,

Thanks for the link , turning my spring around is not possible it only goes in one way on mine but - i did flip it over . There's a little bend that didn't want to go under the tabs on the bottom of the follower a little hammer persuation got'r in there . That end of the spring seemed stronger but i took the easy way . smile

Judman ,

I machined .0012'' off the stamped follower with emery paper while drinking a beer rubbed a bit of graphite lube on it since it was laying there .

Loading rounds like greased lightening now , smiling , not from beer - yet ,

Thanks for the imput - it got me thinking .

Mike

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can someone tell me about this machined follower?

Ol mike where did you remove the bit? The sides of the follower ?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Here's one with good reviews .

https://hawkinsprecision.com/shop/followers/

I steel wool'd inside the magazine box and along the edge of the action there with mag box still on rifle .
Emery sandpaper 3M 600 grit - sanded the side edges all of the top of the follower - shined it up nicely .

Something was scratching my brass pretty good - obviously the steel wool/emery got it knocked off - ran three rounds through a few times - no scratches .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job olMike. I had a similar thought when I converted to bdl in that I waxed up the new mag box. Think I will touch up the follower. Glad you got fixed up- I know EXACTLY how annoying it could be, Nice to be back to loving your rifle again- right?

Now if I could just slick up my CZ 550 action.

. Confucius
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Indeed - back to loving the rifle is nice .
Whenever i pull my othe rifles out of the stocks i'm going to give them the same treatment . I like the ADL set up i just slide cartridges forward with my fingers and roll them out of the action .

Never had a problem with my other two adl's so i didn't want to start 'trying things' so i turned to the 24HR troubleshooting team .

CZ 550 - watch gone with the wind -3hr. movie and cycle the action non stop - that'll likely help the smoothness although you won't have a working hand for a few days . smile

Take care !

Mike

Posted by Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man I have bore pasted and worked that action and swapped follower. I otherwise love the rifle and it has never cost me a critter but having other slicker actions makes me wish this was.

. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ol Mike- been reading about the 700 triggers and again am starting to wonder ifI should replace with a trigger tech. you given any thought to that idea?

. Confucius
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd polish the undersides of the rails with 4-0 emery cloth. I'd check the lips of the sheet metal box mag. Sometimes you need more bevel, sometimes less.

I have taken a piece of steel, put it in a vice so it sticks out to the side, slide the box mag over that piece and tap the lip angle with a hammer. Go slow, don't get too aggressive. That's a good way to decrease lip angle, open up the box such that a round has a better grip, spends more time under the rail as the bolt moves forward. That can work if the round jumps up too quick. Sometimes one side works better than the other. Adjust accordingly.

With my 6.5-284, the fatter case fed better after my smith milled material off the 30-06 follower spine, making it narrower.

I agree with slicking up the box. It's all more art than science.

DF

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kenjs1
ol Mike- been reading about the 700 triggers and again am starting to wonder ifI should replace with a trigger tech. you given any thought to that idea?

Kenjs1 ,

Howdy .
No sir i have not - i've got a couple of Timneys and Rifle Basix triggers but as long as the factory triggers on my rifles work right i'm keeping them .
I've had mine cocked - safety off - bumped the rifle on a hard floor - hammered on the rifles with a nylon hammer [no scope] etc. never had one drop the firing pin .
They can be adjusted too light and be dangerous though .

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Dirtfarmer ,

Thanks for the tips good idea on tuning the magazine box .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am glad this thread was started.

After this and the one about the AD of the 700 with an aftermarket trigger I did two things today. I took my follower out and performed a little fine sanding along the edges. Thanks for the idea.

I took some bore paste -since I couldn't find the Flitz I bought_ and polished up the follower. I was really surprised at how much crap came off it and and discovered some roughness on its surface. That has been reduced. Between all this and the new mag spring it is definitely more like it should be. I dealt with cockeyed loading and sticking follower for so long I came to accept it and never thought to try and address it until now.

Last thing I did was take the action out and spray cleaner into the trigger group. I had no lighter fluid so I applied a little goo-b-gone. To my surprise more gunk came out and I needed to re-clean the bolt release. Its spring action is now more crisp and how it should be. . Ended with a very light short shot of One-Shot dry lube on the trigger and bolt face. Little thing like this has me feeling good.

Would have never thought of any of it so thanks again guys.

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/21/19.

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.