Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
My SIL & BIL have retired and been on the road for a few months but will be coming back "home" for the holidays and will continue their travels after Christmas. (They sold house and all) Have anyone here ever done this or knows others that have? The reason I ask is i'm hoping to find a nugget of wisdom for that small something kindof gift that you wished you had or glad you found this, etc. Thanks.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have always thought this sounds fun, if I had the free time. I think I would go with a towable camper so as to be able to do some exploring that would not be able to be done in a big motorhome

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
They tow their car with them.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by duckster
I have always thought this sounds fun, if I had the free time. I think I would go with a towable camper so as to be able to do some exploring that would not be able to be done in a big motorhome

You tow a Jeep behind the motorhome silly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
My SIL & BIL have retired and been on the road for a few months but will be coming back "home" for the holidays and will continue their travels after Christmas. (They sold house and all) Have anyone here ever done this or knows others that have? The reason I ask is i'm hoping to find a nugget of wisdom for that small something kind of gift that you wished you had or glad you found this, etc. Thanks.

Names and addresses and phone numbers of people that can help them should (God forbid) anything happen and they are in need of something or someone ASAP. People YOU know they could trust. Across the US and Canada. Two copies of said book.

Lynn

I know you have my phone number, but PM'ing you all my info anyways.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We've met several families that have done this in our years of travel trailer camping. It is more common than you can guess. Go to youtube and look it up. Try "Gone with the Winns" for one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Traveled and lived out for a year once. Sold house, business, put a few things in storage and hit the road. It could have been fun if I hadn't been blind-sided by a predatory bi-polar schitzophrenic bitch from hell.

But I digress.

I enjoyed travelling and stopping wherever I wanted. Lots of freedom in it. Fishing, hiking, camping, hunting coyotes and ground squirrels, riding the quad all over. We're getting more govt oversight in the outdoors every year and freedoms are being eroded, so do it while you can.

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The've moved away from having stuff, so I'd give them pre-paid gift cards that they can use wherever they like. Maybe they just use it to buy food and fuel to keep the adventure going.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Lynn, thanks...they got that covered before they took off. They have family and friends in quite a few places. The main I concern I have is she would not be able to drive the motorhome if need be, but like I said previously they do have their car.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They've really downsized their lifestyle. So stuff likely isn't going to help them.

Do you know that direction they are heading after Christmas? Maybe find something in the area they are going to and get them gift cards to go do something there

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ro1459
We've met several families that have done this in our years of travel trailer camping. It is more common than you can guess. Go to youtube and look it up. Try gone with the Winns" for one.

The Wynns graduated to a catamaran and just left The Cook Islands. Cruising the World on a sailboat is great fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is our favorite full time RV YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhJLsShZt8McryMf_DHLZQ

The Gone with the Wynns channel couple sold their last RV a few years ago and are now sailing around the World. Both channels produce very high quality video with outstanding drone footage and consistently interesting content....

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
waive

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
My SIL & BIL have retired and been on the road for a few months but will be coming back "home" for the holidays and will continue their travels after Christmas. (They sold house and all) Have anyone here ever done this or knows others that have? The reason I ask is i'm hoping to find a nugget of wisdom for that small something kindof gift that you wished you had or glad you found this, etc. Thanks.

I have,several times..If I had my way,I would do it again in a heart beat(like right now).

There is a ton of little stuff for gifts for RVer's they would enjoy or like...From something as simple as "your antenna is still up" placard for those that forget it and drive off with it up to simple indoor outdoor thermometers/faster flow shower heads/wheel covers to keep them from the sun/levels/walkie talkies for backing in a site/refrigerator fan to circulate the air/etc etc...I could go on forever listing helpful little RV things that don't cost much but come in real handy...

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a good quality set of highway maps, And a good quality manual compass.

it's for when the power is out, the gps is dead, and to have as a spare.

throw in a circular protractor and a good #2 marking pencil.

it'll be comforting to know it's stashed in the dash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Get them a gift card for a 100 gallons of diesel fuel from their favorite station, their gonna need it navigating that land yacht around.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It would be fun to do that, go wherever you wanted!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My Dad did it with my Step-Mom for 4 years, just did laps around the country. They loved it.

Gift ideas, really gift cards for food, gas, nationally available stores (WalMart, HomeDepot)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
236 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.