Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Recommend a suppressor.............. Tell me about you experience!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a Liberty and have had no problems with it

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Dead air mask. I tried a bunch before buying this one. Very little first round pop( if any). Good tone. Rated to 17 hornet and 5.7. Easy to take apart and clean. I couldn’t be happier

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SilencerCo Sparrow. Rimfire through 22 Hornet capable.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Don’t mean any offense OSU, but I felt the sparrow had quite a bit of first round pop compared to the dead air mask and rugged can. After the first round it was comparable for sure. Tone is different for sure but that’s definitely objective. What’s your thoughts if you have compared it to others??

Not sure you will be too unhappy with any high quality can you buy, just make sure you get one rated for more than 22lr

Here is a good sound testing video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWBaizCf3Y

Also, when you buy your first suppressor do a trust and buy a 30 cal can, rimfire, handgun, and big bore( if you need it). Wait sucks till it’s over, but you won’t regret buying them. I sure don’t. You will buy more after the first one

My son and nephew will kill deer hopefully in morning suppressed with a 243 and 300blk!!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’m a thunderbeast fan, so I’m eyeing their 22 takedown. Haven’t researched these much but I’m thinking one of these on a tikka T1x 22lr would be loads of fun

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Kevin, no offense taken. Frankly, I did not do any comparisons but rather bought it based on the SilencerCo Omega I already had. I believe ammo will make as much difference in the report as anything.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a omega also, love it. The sandman Ti has better tone to the ear, but omega gets the nod due to weight difference. In hand the difference in weight feels significantly more than on paper.

Handguns with cans are fun. Not practical per say, but very fun

Rimfire can with standard velocity is wonderful, subsonic is like a daisy red rider. Silly quiet on bolt guns. Ruger MKiii is a tough louder but still giggle quiet.

My gun (cz455)loves eley subsonic HP, and CCI subs. As well as cci standard velocity. Pretty much have no use or need for the mini mags anymore even though they shoot great also

17hmr is very nice tone wise except for the supersonic crack. Still hearing safe and bystanders always smile in amazement

Haven’t used it on 17 hornet or 22 hornet

Did use it on a FN ps90. Obviously doesn’t have the volume to substantially reduce sound on the 5.7, but does work fine. That caliber needs a little bigger can in my opinion

I will be buying a big bore can very soon!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a thunderbeast .22 takedown in jail for my cz455.
Hopefully I’ll get it before the years end.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Dead air mask. I tried a bunch before buying this one. Very little first round pop( if any). Good tone. Rated to 17 hornet and 5.7. Easy to take apart and clean. I couldn’t be happier

You do not specify... But if for a pistol then the dead air mask. No first round pop on any of my host pistols. I've also got two TI Quests which are great on rifles but with the first round pop on a pistol I do not consider them hearing safe and use hearing protection at the range, not so with my Dead Air Mask... I will be buying another soon!

Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
SilencerCo Sparrow. Rimfire through 22 Hornet capable.

The SilencerCo Sparrow would 'probably' be my first choice for a rifle due to the ease of cleaning... I personally have no experience with them, but have heard they do have first round pop on a pistol.

Originally Posted by Tom264
I have a thunderbeast .22 takedown in jail for my cz455.
Hopefully I’ll get it before the years end.

Walter & Tom,

My 3rd & 4th centerfire suppressors are Thunderbeasts, and they are leagues ahead of my first two centerfire suppressors. Because of this I have looked hard at their rimfire cans and hope you let us know how they work for you once you have had some time with them.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a Sig SDR22 for $179. Just got it after 11 month wait. I have been shooting a .30 caliber YHM suppressor for a few months now and was used to how it sounded on centerfire rifles. The first time I shot the Sig rimfire suppressor i thought I didn't have the magazine in properly because all I could hear was what I thought was the bolt unlock when I pulled the trigger. Not so, it was that quite and very easy to take apart and clean in a ultra sonic cleaner. It's a blast to use a suppressor on a rimfire. The tax stamp cost more than this suppressor and it preforms outstanding.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I looked at the sparrow and spectre the other day. Whats street price on these things? The spectre is the modular one but I think its fairly new out on the market. I know a guy with a dead air mask and claims is quietest by far for the 22 and he's had a bunch of different ones.

Anyway, their last few approvals have been under 3 months, one was 9 weeks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q El Camino for me.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killerv
I looked at the sparrow and spectre the other day. Whats street price on these things? The spectre is the modular one but I think its fairly new out on the market. I know a guy with a dead air mask and claims is quietest by far for the 22 and he's had a bunch of different ones.

Anyway, their last few approvals have been under 3 months, one was 9 weeks.

Spectre II is an older (and now I think discontinued) SS suppressor that was originally inherited from SWR. Heavy, but a very quiet and durable SS can. You may be thinking of the Switchback if you're referring to the reconfigurable Silencerco can. Sparrow is a monocore designed for easy takedown/cleaning, but can have bad FRP due to the internal air volume.

To address the O.P.'s inquiry: Anything you buy will work pretty well for .22lr subsonic. Even cheap form 1 cans sound pretty good. The only thing I'd recommend avoiding are monocore cans, as they inevitably have a good deal of first round pop, especially on handguns, and offer little advantage vs newer K/M/radiused cone proprietary stacked baffle designs. Otherwise, you should just evaluate the best balance of offsetting options: price/weight/durability/ease of disassembly/performance on rifles vs pistols/ length configurability, and get what you like best.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
switchback is correct, its black and gray

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kevinJ

^^^^^^

2 here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’m quite happy with my YHM Stingers, I have used them on 22, 17HMR and 17M2.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have about 10 rifles and handguns that are threaded and only one suppressor...a Tactical Solutions AXIOM Titanium...

Very good looking
Easy to clean even after a lot of ronds
Quiet
Very little first round pop compared to my friends .22 suppressors
Rated from .22LR through 5.7 FN full auto
Very light

Ruger MKIII Hunter with a TS Upper:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks just as nice on the Ruger LITE I bought a few monts ago...

If I get another .22 suppressor it will be one of these...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the YHM Mite, love it, but really need to send it in for the upgrade.

While we are talking 22 suppressors, is there a trick to preventing lead build-up on the inside? I was told to coat the insides with Frog Lube, but that does not seem to help.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,244
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.