Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
For those who subscribe, the November 2019 digital-issue is available now on www.riflesandrecipes.com.

Also, our new printed-paper edition, RIFLE LOONY NEWS: THE SECOND FIVE YEARS will be here by December 1st. For those who want to pre-order, there's now a tab on the website. (You can also order a 2-volume set, including THE FIRST FIVE YEARS, for a discount, as long as they're mailed in the same box.)

As always, the prices listed include media-mail shipping, and you can also order by phone: 406-521-0273.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
link needs an 'r' in place of the 'e'...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eileen's story is great! That one will be a classic.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
John, great column on electronic gadgetry. Your comments on long range hunting and it’s shortcomings are great. That dovetails nicely with what I saw from some long range nimrods in Idaho. The ethics discussion needs to turn into action.

Very well done.

Last edited by GF1; 11/16/19.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, guys--and Eileen's glad her lead story was appreciated!

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just finished reading the "The Electronic Hunter". And yes, I can remember cotton long underwear, my cotton/synthetic blaze orange coat my mom sewed a couple extra pockets in so I wouldn't smush my sandwich, Monkey Wards boots slathered with Sno-Seal, and cotton gloves. We didn't carry flashlights or binos either--we "glassed" game with our scope. I can still remember the first time I ever saw a hunter with a daypack--quite the curiosity.

These days, I pick up my daypack (which seems to be unnecessarily heavy) and wonder about all the crap I'm carrying........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Enjoyed everything, as usual, but the piece on Fullfield II scopes was timely. I only have one, but we got one for my brother and another for a friend. Based on this limited sample, I've been recommending them to others who ask about a new scope and have heard nothing but positive reviews. Good to know my advice is corroborated. smile

Just finished the electronics article. Nice to know that my brother and I aren't the only flip phone users. laugh

Last edited by shootinurse; 11/18/19. Reason: added comment

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I liked the electronic Hunter article as well. Went through my day pack over the weekend to see what I could take out and realized I had 4 knives, 3 sets of pliers and a bunch of other random stuff that I can’t remember ever using

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,
I especially liked “The Electronic Hunter” on the Back Burner page. It brings back old memories and hits the nail on the head about how it was when I started hunting big game and how we roll today. Thanks to both of you for the articles.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few years ago I suddenly realized my primary hunting daypack was getting heavier--and not just because I was getting older.

Part of the reason was I get sent or given a lot of stuff to "field test," and tended to just toss items in the pack. Dumped everything out, and duscovered I had four headlamps, several knives, etc. Put the stuff I liked best back, and discovered it had lost about a third of its weight!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
John,

It was so refreshing for me to read this issue. Both Eileen and you prefer rifles to bows, as do I. I appreciate Eileen’s writing and humor. Your comments on the Burris, your perspective on electronics/simplifying, and your attitude about the ranges you do, and more importantly don’t hunt, really resonates with me. I have one Fullfield II and you’ve convinced me to grab at least one more by taking advantage of upcoming sales. It’s absolutely a “good enough” optic.

I also quite enjoyed the article on the 375. Thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks VERY much!

One of the reasons we both enjoy writing for RLN is we can write about whatever we want--though we do discuss our subjects with each other beforehand. Many of of my articles are ideas that have been rejected by magazine editors, for whatever reason.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Going to subscribe to the Rifle Loony News in a moment. Been putting it off, but just retired and have the time to enjoy it. Also going to order the two books, be nice reading this winter!

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just got word from the printer that the new RLN book is scheduled to be shipped next Monday.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got a laugh out of the fact that you are still using a flip phone. How 2010. cry

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You may get even more of a laugh now: I had to replace my flip-phone before the end of 2019, because 3G is disappearing on Jan. 1.

So I did, going back to the Walmart, where I bought my Tracfone flipper for $14.95 in 2010. They had a new model 4G version (which even includes a camera, absent from the original) for $19.99. Just activated it yesterday--and apparently it can take some apps! Boy, I am I excited now!

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You may get even more of a laugh now: I had to replace my flip-phone before the end of 2019, because 3G is disappearing on Jan. 1.

So I did, going back to the Walmart, where I bought my Tracfone flipper for $14.95 in 2010. They had a new model 4G version (which even includes a camera, absent from the original) for $19.99. Just activated it yesterday--and apparently it can take some apps! Boy, I am I excited now!

Mule Deer...I read this and went into panic mode! I have no idea what this means other than that I have a flip phone that I have been using for around 12years without any issues. It does all I need from a phone...send calls, receive calls text messages and receive messages. I have no wish to buy one of those over priced phones that everyone I know has tend to fail after a very short period. Guess I'll have to go to Wally World and see if I can find one of the $19.99 ones like you just purchased. If any of the tech savvy fire members would care to try to educate me on what all this means I sure would appreciate it! Hate to lose my old friend!
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
rookieatbest,

As one of the techno-nerds I met while shopping for a new phone put it, "In January your old phone essentially becomes a paperweight." I might add that it's not all that good for that purpose, either. Or at least mine isn't, since it's pretty light.

Sorry to put it that bluntly, but I feel your pain. Would have happily continued to use my 2010 model, but the march of technology prevented it.

The next question is how long 4G will exist....

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.