Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone use a youth model? Last year I did, a Savage Axis youth that I put a regular Axis stock on. This year ill be using a Model 70 Featherweight 6mm, but after the season im thinking of buying one of these..... X-Bolt Micro Composite in 7-08.

Since I dont get around easy anymore, im usually hunkered down on a folding chair, and ladder stand. Thinking this might not be a bad option.

Anyone else use a Youth/Compact model?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I either use a youth model or cut a rifle down to youth dimensions. To me a gun is worthless if it doesn't fit. I have no problem taking a saw to some very expensive guns. I'm 5'7" with short arms and heavy shoulders. I can't even mount a regular sized stock, it gets hung up in my armpit. A lot of times I can get away with just pulling a thick recoil pad and replacing it with a butt plate.

Last edited by erich; 11/15/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If im still hunting regular length of pull is nothing. But its extremely rare for me to still hunt anymore due to physical issues. When im sitting in a folding chair, Youth/Compacts shoulder a lot easier

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The nomenclature is "M4" and it ain't that "scary". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Shooting well,trumps "thinking" STUPID. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stupid as usual

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B2

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
I'm 5'7" with short arms and heavy shoulders.....

Well, youre taller than schit for brains above, thats a plus. Pretty sure you dont fuukc jugs and can actually get real pussy. Way ahead of the game.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
youth stocks are ok w/ hunting clothes on... the muzzle blast from the short bbl ... not so good.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The nomenclature is "M4" and it ain't that "scary". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Shooting well,trumps "thinking" STUPID. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

so pissing on a person who is dealing with Handicaps?

smooth move Exlax.....smooth move...

and Gordie.... listening to a short barrels muzzle blast is still easier on the ears than reading Stumpy's posts when he gets dumbass

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pahick
Anyone use a youth model? Last year I did, a Savage Axis youth that I put a regular Axis stock on. This year ill be using a Model 70 Featherweight 6mm, but after the season im thinking of buying one of these..... X-Bolt Micro Composite in 7-08.

Since I dont get around easy anymore, im usually hunkered down on a folding chair, and ladder stand. Thinking this might not be a bad option.

Anyone else use a Youth/Compact model?

I handled the wood version X-Bolt Micro at the LGS. It felt like a club on the forend. Maybe the composite stock will handle a little better. I'd try before you buy!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’ve been using a Howa Mini Action 6.5 Grendel in a youth stock all season. One huge sow, one Yote and shot a small 8 point this morning with it. Bought it for my girls if they ever wanted to hunt but they don’t and it’s so handy and light I love carrying it. I put a recoil pad on it to increase LOP.

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
For a person of small stature a compact/youth/women's stock, what ever you want to call it, makes a lot of sense. There's no need for ignorant uneducated comments.

There are several factors to correct stock fit, LOP (Length of pull), grip distance (length from the grip to the trigger) and stock drop (distance from the sight plain to the comb of the stock). Most stock are designed for folks of 5'8" to 5' 10". For a smaller statured person the above dimensions are all wrong and it will effect felt recoil, accuracy and comfort. Add a high recoil cartridge to the mix and you have a receipt for failure and frustration.

When the stock is too long your arms are in an extended position and the stock doesn't ride in your shoulder correctly. It also effects the ability to draw the weapon into the shoulder tight reducing accurate repeatable shots. It increases "felt recoil" because the weapon can move back freely during recoil instead of the shoulder controlling and absorbing the recoil. This will also increase the chance of developing a flinch, anticipating the recoil when the trigger breaks. Flinching leads to pulling (jerking) the trigger instead of squeezing it gently. For a right handed shooter's the inconsistent shots go high right.

If the grip distance is too great the shooter has to roll their hand forward to reach the trigger. It is not only uncomfortable but prevents the shooter from holding the weapon correctly, drawing it to their shoulder tightly, placing their finger tip (not the knuckle) on the trigger or squeezing (not puling) the trigger correctly. The above problems and bad habits will occur.

The stock drop will also effect accuracy. A larger person has a longer neck and requires more drop in the stock. With too much drop a shorter person will not get consistent correct cheek weld and can not shoot the weapon comfortably or consistently well. During recoil they will be slapped in the jaw and cheek. Again causing a propensity to flinch.

Look a bench rifle or competition shotgun, they are adjustable in all aspects.

Recoil is the effect bullet weight, charge weight, and weapon weight. Felt recoil is effected by stock design and fit. Straight stocks produce more felt recoil than pistol grip stocks. Recoil can be managed by the weight of the weapon but a 10 pound bean field rifle is not the a wise choice for short shots nor is a earspitintoothratlinshoulderbustnshockenboomer. A medium size case with a bullet diameter of .243 to .308 will handle most North American game animals in situations under 300 yards if the shooter can place a fair shot. IMHO I would not start a kid with a 308 Win.

Put all four factors together and there is no way a shorter person should be expected to shoot a full sized, ill fitting weapon well . Add a cartridge with more power than is needed and you compound the problems. To many adults hand a kid a full size weapon and wonder why they don't shoot well, don't like to shoot or get discouraged. Poor stock fit and cartridge choice is receipt of failure for adults and kids.

KUDOs for being wise enough to carry a gun that fits the shooter and game.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I carry "Stub" quite a lot.

It started as a standard Ruger Tang 77 in .30-06, bought used for $80. Figured I could salvage the action and stock....Pretty rough shape, showing exterior surface rust and water marks /blistering on the stock. Could not even see through the bore, but that cleaned up well enough to take a chance on before replacing the barrel.

Once I got the muzzle bulge off, the barrel was 17". Clover leafed the first 3 shots from a cold barrel, 5 went to @5 inches. Epoxy flat-bedding the action to 2.5 inches forward of the recoil lug with the rest free-floated fixed that, but now it shoots 1.25 inch groups, any number of rounds.

So much for a knock-around "boat gun". But that full stock looked funny with the short bbl, so, after killing a ram at @330 yards on one day, and a moose @70 yards 4 days later, over-winter I docked the stock fore and aft, and slimmed it down to fit my 5'4" wife and make it look balanced. It has since taken a couple more sheep, dunno how many moose, at least half a dozen caribou and a black bear or two. Not bad for a "carbine" or "youth model".

I've been hunting with it for about 30 years now. I do put on a 1" slip-on recoil pad over the 1" Decelerator to fit me a little better. Longest shot with it so far is about 375 yards, paced.

There is some added noise and recoil ....... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
20 years ago built a Rem 700 .243 for the son. Had barrel cut to 20" and found a youth stock (12.5" LOP) . Son used it whole time he was at home. I used it as well. Short, compact, easy to carry, and fit well with winter clothes. We are both 6ft tall. I have semi-gorilla arms. Just put scope in proper position for good eye box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife use a compact Ruger in 243 all the time. But she’s 5’2”.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sitting in the stand as we speak with my 8 yo son and a Tikka t3 compact in 7mm-08 wanting to test some 120 grain ballistic tips on a whitetail deer shoulder. It’s a touch short lop for me but in a pinch it’d work just fine.
Good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Nice! Well done, better short on you than long on him. Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.