Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Nice rifle!

If you haven't already, consider getting a mat, coat, glove and sling and shooting some NRA smallbore prone or position matches. Lots of fun to be had and things to be learned.

Can they teach me how to have better eye sight? I just put a globe front on it and scores improved. I got lucky and found a redfield sight and inserts on ebay. Works like a champ. I also ran across some bad azzed olympic sights that are damn cool. The guy wants $200.00 for them, but they are nice. I'm shooting weak handed (right handed), because my dominant eye sucks:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Very nice!

Thanks Cliff!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good shooting. The front sight with an aperture is a huge help vs. a post for my 57 year old eyes. Play around with different size openings to find what works best for you regarding the amount of white you see around the aiming black. An adjustable rear iris is helpful as well. There are also lenses that can be used in the rear to allow a fine tuning of your focus on the front sight.

In the NRA long range/palma shooting I like, there is not much difference in scores between the scopes vs. irons... the eye does a surprisingly good job of lining up concentric circles.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Good shooting. The front sight with an aperture is a huge help vs. a post for my 57 year old eyes. Play around with different size openings to find what works best for you regarding the amount of white you see around the aiming black. An adjustable rear iris is helpful as well. There are also lenses that can be used in the rear to allow a fine tuning of your focus on the front sight.

In the NRA long range/palma shooting I like, there is not much difference in scores between the scopes vs. irons... the eye does a surprisingly good job of lining up concentric circles.

Good post Mike. The olympic sight set I found has an adjustable iris on the rear. I'm very tempted to buy that set and put it on this rifle. I need every bit of help I can get!!! My right eye isn't too bad yet, but it is almost impossible to use my left eye with a peep sight.. Sucks, but such is life..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't give up on your right eye yet... i wear a +5.00 correction contact with a correction for astigmatism in my right eye, and my vision is not holding me back... wind reading ability maybe ;-).

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got one of those wonderful old rifles too! Grandpa and Dad both shot it in matches. I just use it now and again for practice.

Guy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
I've got one of those wonderful old rifles too! Grandpa and Dad both shot it in matches. I just use it now and again for practice.

Guy

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that beauty with us!!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a shooter grade 52b set up with a Weaver K-6.

We use it for clean kills on ground squirrels to a little over 100 yards with Remington Yellow Jackets.

That combination squeezes about all you can get out of a .22 lr for varmint shooting.

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Hey BSA, that's a Lyman 48 alright. Look on the back and see if it's stamped Lyman FH. If it is that's the sight that originally came on most "B" target models. By the way nice rifle. BCM

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks BCM. i'll do that. Id like to find a pointer for the elevation.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.