Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fubar,
Oh, I believe you...And, I believe what your are seeing and “not seeing” anymore is a result of an abundance of predatory animals in your hunting grounds.

It’s documented, wolves, cougars, bears will reduce large numbers of game animals in short order.

I’m curious what the timetable would look like for game animal recovery? In a natural ecosystem area, predators will leave after killing off the game. How many years would it take to reach quality game population numbers?

Timbermaster’s post was terrifying! 13,000 elk gone.

Yes, I read that old thread where some said you must suck at hunting...I just laughed. You can’t slay what’s not there.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Beaver I was just talking to a friend that hunted the Northside unit over east for elk with a large party. He said there were no elk in the unit, period. The entire party left four days before season end. He found 8 elk bone piles. I've been hunting my whole life and I would say I average a deer or elk bone pile one a year. One in their party saw a wolf.

I think this will be increasingly common in Oregon. Why we put up with this incompetent (at best) or under-handedly deceptive (most likely) wildlife management agency in Oregon is a mystery.

This I have also heard from personal friends who’ve pulled tags several times over the years in these units. They have all said the game animals are gone by comparison to years past...This is part of the reason I’m asking for information. 😎

FB2 & Beav,

I've hunted that area the past two years and had no trouble finding elk, but don't know how it compares to years past. Lots of people, though.

I talked to a guy this year who swears there's wolves in the area. Never seen one myself, but have seen and heard a lot of coyotes. Saw one especially big one this year, carrying a chunk of elk hide from a hunter kill. For a second, I thought it was a wolf.

Jason

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wolf: primary excuse of lazy, crappy hunters.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Beaver I was just talking to a friend that hunted the Northside unit over east for elk with a large party. He said there were no elk in the unit, period. The entire party left four days before season end. He found 8 elk bone piles. I've been hunting my whole life and I would say I average a deer or elk bone pile one a year. One in their party saw a wolf.

I think this will be increasingly common in Oregon. Why we put up with this incompetent (at best) or under-handedly deceptive (most likely) wildlife management agency in Oregon is a mystery.

This I have also heard from personal friends who’ve pulled tags several times over the years in these units. They have all said the game animals are gone by comparison to years past...This is part of the reason I’m asking for information. 😎

FB2 & Beav,

I've hunted that area the past two years and had no trouble finding elk, but don't know how it compares to years past. Lots of people, though.

I talked to a guy this year who swears there's wolves in the area. Never seen one myself, but have seen and heard a lot of coyotes. Saw one especially big one this year, carrying a chunk of elk hide from a hunter kill. For a second, I thought it was a wolf.

Jason

4th point,

My friend is about 60 and has hunted there for many years, as tags allow. They are accustomed to finding the elk, but this year the entire party had no luck. They did find lots of bones.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

I don’t consider Fred3 a lazy, crappy hunter nor anyone in his family. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wolf study video how it affects the cattle pretty interesting.

https://youtu.be/ZdEufIke4XE

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/15/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wolves have had a devastating effect on all game populations here, I was hunting a favored mule deer area I like and everyday I found at least 1 kill site, not too many bones left, just hair of moose and Mule deer. We would see several 4 point bucks everyday before the wolves took over, after that your lucky to see any good bucks around at all.

Cougars, if you only kill the Toms then you really haven't done anything to help the problem as the Toms take out other cougars that are competition to them. Female Cougars and female Bears need to be taken out if you want to help out ungulates.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The unit I hunt in has a 4% hunters success rate. I guess there are a whole lot of "lazy, crappy hunters" where I hunt. 96 out of 100 guys are lazy fu cks I guess...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can not attest to it visually at present having not ventured West in three years. When I was last in Darby MT it was terrible.

I follow the issue very closely as I see such as a direct action stance against not only the hunting culture but against the 2nd amendment as the long game. From what I have seen the Wolf introduction is nothing more than the anti hunter organizations and USFW involved at upper levels in a money laundering scheme while crushing traditional wild game hunting culture and economics. The same is going on in other countries.

Here in the SE where I usually reside we are faced with a radical group that wants to introduce the Western Mountain Lion into our Eastern Forest lands.

There is a group on Face book called Oregon Wolf Education that follows the issue closely not only in our nation but in other countries faced with the same issues. Check it out they get it and present lots of evidence as to who the players are. For instance a NY politician is one of the biggest pushers of wolf introduction in the Western areas where they don't currently exist.

In essence the scheme is to spend the money to stock them, develop paid stewardship partners, research them, protect them and support them whilst wild game is decimated to such a point that citizen protest creates enough upheaval to then grant more money spent to eradicate or properly manage and then repeat.

There is currently a bill on the docket for wolf introduction currently in Colorado.

BTW per the newer Idaho research wolves kill only slightly less Elk than cougars. That study has been used as a blanket and certainly doesn't cover states with wolves where cougar density is low.

Good watch attached below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmWNvpQ1lXY&t=6s

Last edited by Strick9; 11/15/19.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The wolves have eaten up ALL the big game in Montana. There's no reason for any non-residents to spend the exorbitant money we charge for licences.

I understand they have also killed and eaten all the children.

Next up--start training wolves to eat yuppies.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BuzzH will be along shortly....😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All this wolf/cougar/bear talk - why don't people hunt them instead of applyingfor all the elk/deer/moose etc. etc. ?
Who on here is a trapper ? Moreless nobody ..

There are so few deer around here i don't try and hunt them - wouldn't shoot one if it walked out and stood in front of me .
But i set dozens of snares and have caught about 15-16 coyotes in the past 3 years . Plus i shoot them over bait when i or another lease member kills a hog - have killed a few that way .
Between killing every coyote i can and killing every coon-possum-skunk i see more deer and turkeys now .
Put some effort towards removing predators - give trapping a go even if it's only a week or two checking before and after work . It gets you outdoors a lot .
I'm starting in a few days - it finally cooled off here .

And stop mentioning the shovel - that's way too much work .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The unit I hunt in has a 4% hunters success rate. I guess there are a whole lot of "lazy, crappy hunters" where I hunt. 96 out of 100 guys are lazy fu cks I guess...

So you have wolves in Oregon to the point they’re affecting entire game populations, all within three years?

I’m all ears...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Strict9 ,

Yes you're corect - i've followed the programs and people behind the push to push big predators everywhere - . It's not a bunch of tree-hugging kids , it goes higher than any of us know - real mover and shakers with billions of dollars .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Sorry, have to cut and paste to get the PDF.

Current Montana elk populations:

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=93097

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/15/19.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
The last 20 years have been bad. But there is a balance beginning to happen. Wolves were introduced into a buffet of elk here, where some of the best elk hunting in the world used to be. The wolf population swelled due to unlimited food source. It didn’t take long to eat 13,000 elk, only a few years really. When there was no food source left, the wolves starved and killed each other over territory. Today packs are smaller and more spread out here. I have not seen any wolf sign this hunting season when normally I would not be able to avoid it. There are more elk than I have seen in past years, and 6 bulls were killed in Taylor Fork opening week.

To be fair, this is what I'm seeing too. Very slowly happening though and the beginnings were devastating. Fish and Game does annual phone surveys and the past 8 years or so they always ask questions about seeing wolves while hunting. I haven't hunted up here for a few years due to a lack of game. Told the surveyor on the place I hunted I saw 85 mule deer in one afternoon. Same place following year I cut the tracks of 3 wolves, and saw exactly 3 deer...

Wish they had never been re-introduced...

and as someone else mentioned, lions take a real toll...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Mark, If someone were to look at Wyoming moose numbers pre wolf reintroduction vs. present .....the evidence is indisputable! Our elk numbers are down as well. The elk have changed their habitat patterns to survive. There are many more elk spending time in and around human habitation than what they did 20 to 30 years ago. Even sheep have been affected to a lesser degree! On thing that is helping us, a little, is the ability to kill wolves anytime outside their protected areas. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were never without wolves in northern MN, deer and moose seemed to do just fine.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seem's to me the fish and game department's should take a clue from the predators. People don't want female's killed, they are needed to repopulate. Well sounds to me like wiping them out pretty much works better in the long run. I have thought for a long time there are just to many female deer and elk around. Lot of them are barren and the more animal's there are the less food there is. I have to admit I would shoot a wold on sight. Problem being all the hunting dog's that get killed by them. I am not offering my dog's up for wolf food! On the other hand I don't take my dog's where there are reported wolf sighting either. Kind of rules out hunting here as year before last I did see a wolf down by the John Day river. First one in 30yrs here. Talked to the rancher where I was and was told they are seeing them now and then around here. There is a reason wolves were wiped out many years ago. Beautiful animals but they are absolute killer's. I can remember when I was a kid in this state, Oregon, there was a bounty on Mountain Lion. Today you can't even use dogs and lions seem to be on the up swing. Several have been spotted here in town in the last several years. I've bumped into four over the years here. Lived in Montana about four years and spent a lot of time out in the woods. Have never seen one in Montana. I'm not sure hunting the way they do here will control lion populations or wolf population's. Hunter's buy lion tags just in case but seldom fill them!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

So you have wolves in Oregon to the point they’re affecting entire game populations, all within three years?

I’m all ears...

It happens even faster than that.... I used to travel over Togatee pass once a month for several years, I would count the moose along the way , at times I could count up to a dozen.
Then the wolves were reintroduced and I never saw another moose.. all within a year... I believe my own eyes over some so called expert with an agenda and a paycheck attached to said agenda...
Where is BuzzH?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.