Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I have always loved movies and "going" to movies.
As a child (65+ years ago) I especially looked forward to Friday nights when my parents would drop myself and my younger and older brothers off at one of the movie theaters in my home town and they would head over to their Eagles Club to socialize with friends. Yeah this was safe to do back in the 1950's!
Last night the VarmintWife and I headed out for the long drive to a "modern" theater with a large screen and a great sound system to see the movie "Ford vs. Ferrari".
I am glad we made that effort.
We were not just entertained by this movie we were "blown away"!
This movie ranks in the top three movies I have ever seen (and I literally have seen them all over the last 65+ years!)!
I won't spoil ANY of the many surprises and insights about the characters or the plot of this fantastic movie for anyone but I will expand a bit on my impressions.
First of all the casting was PERFECT!
The story line (writing) was PERFECT and for most of the movie spellbinding!
The production of the movie spared NO expense in recreating, realistically the era and the locations, that I could ascertain.
The acting was nothing less than outstanding at every level from supporting cast to the main actors!
I have ALWAYS been a performance car admirer and I won't go into the particulars of that now - my main concern is convincing anyone/everyone to go see this movie on a "big screen" and in a theater with a great sound system!
I highly recommend this movie to all - not just those of us with an admiration of the American automotive industry and many of the icons of this era.
Go see the movie and if you can figure out how to attach a seat belt to your theater seat I suggest you do so!
I give this movie a strong (near perfect!) 99 on my movie scale of 1 to 100!
I can't wait to see it again.
I give "kudos" to ALL that participated in the production of this fantastic movie.
I hope you will enjoy this movie as much as I did.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: A trailer to view for those that may need convincing!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
only thing that would make it better is MOPAR.... lol

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the endorsement, think I’ll go see it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter

No!!! The point was to beat Ferrari, not shed parts all over the track grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by kolofardos

Old mopars ruled the streets........

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Tom264

Old mopars ruled the streets........

I know, just bustin balls. Had a 71 Challenger with 340 that was my all time favourite vehicle

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
How dies it rank compared to Worlds Fastest Indian?
I have heard enzo was miffed about ford using truck block engines

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kennyd
How dies it rank compared to Worlds Fastest Indian?
I have heard enzo was miffed about ford using truck block engines

While publicly he may have called them truck engines, I don't think Enzo was that blind to the technology used in the Mark II 427 engines. Sure, they were part of the Ford FE engine family. But they were very, very well engineered to do just exactly what they did. Win. Decisively.

At any rate, starting in '68, engine size was limited to 5 liters. Fords still won. And again in '69. Hell, it was the same damned car that won both both those years - #1075

As for the movie itself. Well, I know the story. For me the GT40 is one of the very highest points in American car racing history. But with time and reflection, it's more like a David vs Goliath story, but in this version it's Goliath that kicks ass. I'm also afraid, just from what I've seen in the trailers, that there's a bunch of inaccurate drama thrown in for effect. I'm still taking my boys to go see it.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Kennyd: I saw and very much enjoyed "Worlds Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins.
It was/is a great movie but is nowhere near the epic effort and result done with "Ford vs. Ferrari"!
I checked with the oft quoted movie ranking site "Rotten Tomatoes" for their ranking and here are the results.

"Worlds Fastest Indian" - Tomatometer = 82% - Audience Rating = 89%
"Ford vs. Ferrari" - Tomatometer = 93% - Audience Rating 99%

So those folks consider "Ford vs. Ferrari" as a better movie (as do I).

I also saw that Ford vs. Ferrari cost $97,000,000.00 (ninety seven million dollars!) to make, for budget and advertising - and in two days (Thursday & Friday) has already recouped $50,000,000.00 (fifty million dollars!). So it will definitely be a financial success. As well as, in my mind, it will be a great and successful movie.

It seems there are always those that, apparently out of jealousy or other unknown reasons, will cast aspersions on success - I see this is true here.
Sad.
If anyone who sees this movie and comes out of it "proclaiming" that they "were not well entertained" - well I will look them in the eye and call BULLSCHIDT - and laugh in their face.
Be sure and stay for the after movie ending and the on screen informational writings.
To all who see it with an open mind I am sure you will enjoy it and consider it time and money well spent!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shelby was as steady as a rock, no wild man. His wry humor carried him far, as did his genius. He got a kick out of beating Ferrari with his "crude" Cobra.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'll definitely rent it when it's available in three months.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shelby was one of the idols of a misspent youth, back in my gear head days. Never got to drive a Cobra, did get to ride in the original 289 version in the mid 60s and later, a 427 SCCA legal one. Wow!

Last interview I saw with him before he croaked, he was yakking about his latest efforts with the Mustang. IIRC, he said they were getting 800 HP out of the engine. When asked what he thought the limit was, he said probably a thousand?

A true American character. I rank him up there with Chuck Yeager and a few others. As for the GT40, even given its age, still one of the best looking cars ever created.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

lol

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lola/Ford vs Ferrari

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Lola/Ford vs Ferrari

Kind of like the Honda and Chevy Indy cars - built by Dallara.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Lola/Ford vs Ferrari

Kind of like the Honda and Chevy Indy cars - built by Dallara.

Yeah. It was between Lotus and Lola.

They had a normal rough first couple of years racing the GT-40 at LeMans.
1964 was bad and then Shelby took over.
1965 only 1 of 11 starters finishing a the race.

Many lessons learned

I hope they put Richie Ginthers story in the movie.

He was told to go out and beat on the Ferraris......went from 8th to first in a couple of laps.

Down the Mulsanne straight he blasted past the leading Ferraris at over 200mph.....a first.

Had a 40 second lead a hour later.

Helluva driver.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 11/16/19.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Shelby was as steady as a rock, no wild man. His wry humor carried him far, as did his genius. He got a kick out of beating Ferrari with his "crude" Cobra.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen Shelby interviewed in years and this is good!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dubePA
Shelby was one of the idols of a misspent youth, back in my gear head days. Never got to drive a Cobra, did get to ride in the original 289 version in the mid 60s and later, a 427 SCCA legal one. Wow!

Last interview I saw with him before he croaked, he was yakking about his latest efforts with the Mustang. IIRC, he said they were getting 800 HP out of the engine. When asked what he thought the limit was, he said probably a thousand?

A true American character. I rank him up there with Chuck Yeager and a few others. As for the GT40, even given its age, still one of the best looking cars ever created.

You must be tuned into my thoughts 100%.

wink

This is about all I have left from back in the day. An X-wife threw out all my trophies, photos, and memorabilia out of spite. She was certifiable and caused me problems until the day she died. It was one of my favorite events and didn't allow for screw ups. Anyone who has ever traveled the old Donner Pass highway will know what I mean.

Everyone in our SCAA region wanted to be Carroll Shelby...total hero worship.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/16/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
We were not just entertained by this movie we were "blown away"!
This movie ranks in the top three movies I have ever seen (and I literally have seen them all over the last 65+ years!)

First of all the casting was PERFECT!

The story line (writing) was PERFECT and for most of the movie spellbinding!

The production of the movie spared NO expense in recreating, realistically the era and the locations, that I could ascertain.

The acting was nothing less than outstanding at every level from supporting cast to the main actors!

I won't say it's the top three but my wife and I saw it and it truly a movie worth seeing. If you're a car guy even better but my wife, who is not, still thought it was great. I fully expect Christian Bale will at least get a nomination for an Academy award.

I know a lot about the real story and there were things left out but you really have to do that to make the story bounded and not wander so it's justified.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Saw it today. I give it 5 "up yours".

It's a guy's movie. It's fun.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.