B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Like most people, I've had reason to use a grease gun for various things over the years. I had no need for one for many years but now I do. I've bought two so far and both of them are junk. I never had problems with grease guns in the past. But these today stick on the zirc fitting and you have to pry them off.

Loosen the tip. You can adjust them so they aren't too tight or too lose on a zerk.

Yeah,....I noticed the little collet that slips over the fitting and I tried loosening it. You would think that it's the answer. But even after I unscrewed the tube completely, I had to pry it off.

I don't recall that issue on the old grease guns I used to use. They just popped on and popped off.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never did care for Lincoln manual guns.

The black crappers sold at John Deere are better....or at least they were.

I'm not doubting it,....but how does one ask the clerk for a "black crapper" grease gun? That *can't* be a brand name.

I'm guessing that it's going to require a definition well beyond the request,........or you're going to get a suppository or some sort.

From what I have found....the grease guns sold under John Deere or Case IH merchandising have been decent guns.

The store gun at John Deere is black....or at least it was. Case IH is red.

Maybe the manual Lincoln I had was a dud....but it was 50 bucks 10 years ago.

Should have been good for that money.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also bought a good air grease gun, but they aren't really practical

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Like most people, I've had reason to use a grease gun for various things over the years. I had no need for one for many years but now I do. I've bought two so far and both of them are junk. I never had problems with grease guns in the past. But these today stick on the zirc fitting and you have to pry them off.

Loosen the tip. You can adjust them so they aren't too tight or too lose on a zerk.

Yeah,....I noticed the little collet that slips over the fitting and I tried loosening it. You would think that it's the answer. But even after I unscrewed the tube completely, I had to pry it off.

I don't recall that issue on the old grease guns I used to use. They just popped on and popped off.

Buy you one of these locking couplers,
They don’t come off till you remove them,

https://locknlube.com/collections/locknlube-grease-coupler

Ronnie

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Who makes a good, basic, manual grease gun?.

Lincoln

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt this is practical for what little you'd need one B, but that Milwaukie electric grease gun is the shcit. I bought the locking tip for mine so I didn't have to hold it. For the excavator you have to grease the house while sitting inside and spinning the house around while you squeeze the trigger. Couldn't do it from inside w/o the locking tip and electric gun. The side benefit is having other milwaukie battery tools makes sense once you have the first one. Man they are nice

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Never did care for Lincoln manual guns.

The black crappers sold at John Deere are better....or at least they were.

I'm not doubting it,....but how does one ask the clerk for a "black crapper" grease gun? That *can't* be a brand name.

I'm guessing that it's going to require a definition well beyond the request,........or you're going to get a suppository or some sort.

From what I have found....the grease guns sold under John Deere or Case IH merchandising have been decent guns.

The store gun at John Deere is black....or at least it was. Case IH is red.

Maybe the manual Lincoln I had was a dud....but it was 50 bucks 10 years ago.

Should have been good for that money.

The last Lincoln guns I bought were from Caterpillar and they all still work good. The price wasn't outrageous at the time either, 30 bucks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Forty years ago I purchased McNaught and have not regretted a thing.

added, and the fellows above that recommended the locking coupler are absolutely correct in the summation, I have found it to be an excellent item. I also added an extra length of hose to mine for extra reach under vehicles.

And yes, still get grease all over everything.

Last edited by JSTUART; 11/16/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like most people, I've had reason to use a grease gun for various things over the years. I had no need for one for many years but now I do. I've bought two so far and both of them are junk. I never had problems with grease guns in the past. But these today stick on the zirc fitting and you have to pry them off. Also, most of the grease slips by the plunger and it's virtually impossible to get everything straightened out without getting grease all over everything,...not to mention that you lose a $5 canister of grease every time that happens.

You wouldn't think that something as basic as a usable grease gun would be hard to find. Back in the day you bought a grease gun and it did what a grease gun was supposed to do until the end of time.

Who makes a good, basic, manual grease gun? I bought the best one the auto parts place had today and it's another piece of junk.

The ends on most of them are adjustable so if they are too tight it's operator error.
Get one like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lubrimatic-Pistol-Grease-Gun-with-Hose/16777574

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by viking
One thing I have noticed on newer equipment is that the zirc’s suck theses days.. they fall out or are loosely threaded. Chinese metallurgy I guess.

Yeah, half the time the chink zerks can be the culprit...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We probably have 20 grease guns on the place.

Including an air powered gun, an electric Lincoln and two DeWalt electrics.

A good affordable manual is not near as easy to find as a good electric.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by viking
One thing I have noticed on newer equipment is that the zirc’s suck theses days.. they fall out or are loosely threaded. Chinese metallurgy I guess.

Yeah, half the time the chink zerks can be the culprit...........
I agree and would suspect the zirc's as opposed to the gun. Half of them new ones are probably painted shut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a battery powered Lincoln, and although it's heavy, it works better than any I've ever used. Like Wabigoon, when I was growing up, there were no grease cartridges, just a 5 gallon bucket full of grease, and you had to stick that grease gun down in it and fill it manually. Grease cartridges are much better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
took 3 apart and made one that works with the parts.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have a battery powered Lincoln, and although it's heavy, it works better than any I've ever used. Like Wabigoon, when I was growing up, there were no grease cartridges, just a 5 gallon bucket full of grease, and you had to stick that grease gun down in it and fill it manually. Grease cartridges are much better.

I use the Lincoln electric too.

It has made my life much easier on a daily basis.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Yeah I remember those 5 gallon grease buckets. We had, and I am sure it’s still on the farm, a pump on our bucket.

On the top of grease gun there usually is a plug that can be removed and replaced with an adapter that allows grease to be pumped in. When the bucket was near empty, I was usually given an old paint brush and tasked to smear grease on the plow bottoms.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never had any problem with my grease guns of any style. They are old of course. My favorite, and given this is a shooting site....

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
,....lived in the city for 40+ years. Moved back to the country and learned that the tools associated with country living had gone to schitt.

,....Chinese grease guns enny damn way,...

schiiiiiiiiit,..........

Look no further than this. It's made here too. I looked at Lincoln, Lucas etc and they are all made oversees now. This one is not and it has been great....

https://www.saeproducts.com/pistol-grip-grease-gun-pgh.html

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldman3
What is the world coming to.....

If you use a tube type grease gun, install the tube, screw on the top, loosen the top about 1 turn or so, and pump. It will take just a few pumps to get the grease thru the tube. Once the grease comes thru the tube, finish tightening the top.

If you buy it by the 5 gal bucket, remove the top from the gun, stick the tube in the bucket, pull up on the handle and suck the grease into the tube. Lock the handle back, clean off the outside of the tube, and screw the top on. Back the top off about a turn, pump the handle until you get grease thru the tube, then tighten the top.

Getting a little grease on your hands is good for ya.

Yup. Burp the grease gun. I have taught many men this...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My father was a fan of his air Lincoln, it worked best with Mobil number one pour grease. Not many sealed bearings years ago, the mounted corn picker took a lot of grease.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.