Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Quantrill murdered women and children in Lawrence Kansas.

Says LaBoeuf. LOL.
And Rooster told him it was a damned lie. lol The historical record supports Rooster.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy loaded chambers with tight-fitting balls and shone a bore light through the nipple aperture. He saw light around the edges of some of these balls - from slightly assymetrical chambers.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Says LaBoeuf. LOL.
And Rooster told him it was a damned lie. lol The historical record supports Rooster.

Quite right.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
This guy loaded chambers with tight-fitting balls and shone a bore light through the nipple aperture. He saw light around the edges of some of these balls - from slightly assymetrical chambers.

Evidently that's it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Says LaBoeuf. LOL.

Quite right.
Amen.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Meanwhile from guys who did see chain fires. It has always been said in print that Berdan’s Sharpshooters in the War of Seccession were first issued .56 cal five shot Colt Revolving Rifles which they found highly unsatisfactory, in no small part due to fear of chain fires. Tho browsing around I can only find one second-hand reference to a shooter losing fingers of his support hand.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mike, a fellow member at my old gun club in Wisconsin bought one of those repro revolving rifles in our early days of SASS matches. He only used it in one match, mostly because the rifle stages usually call for 10 shots, and of course his revolving carbine only held 6 shots, so he had to forfeit 4 misses on each stage.

But more significantly, the barrel-cylinder flash from his cylinder was so fierce it flame-cut into his jacket sleeve and burned his supporting forearm. He eventually found he could shoot it with a heavy piece of saddle leather around his forearm, but that burn took a lot of the joy out of shooting that thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Meanwhile from guys who did see chain fires. It has always been said in print that Berdan’s Sharpshooters in the War of Seccession were first issued .56 cal five shot Colt Revolving Rifles which they found highly unsatisfactory, in no small part due to fear of chain fires. Tho browsing around I can only find one second-hand reference to a shooter losing fingers of his support hand.
I would damn sure never shoot one of those Colt's Revolving Rifles without it being highly greased. Now that you mention it, I HAVE read of chain fires resulting in digit loss from the old days.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

A brace of Pietta reproduction Colt .36 Cal Police Pocket 5.5 inch

These are no longer manufactured by Pietta. Real nice guns. Always like the fluted cylinders.

Color me jealous! 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Mike, a fellow member at my old gun club in Wisconsin bought one of those repro revolving rifles in our early days of SASS matches. He only used it in one match, mostly because the rifle stages usually call for 10 shots, and of course his revolving carbine only held 6 shots, so he had to forfeit 4 misses on each stage.

But more significantly, the barrel-cylinder flash from his cylinder was so fierce it flame-cut into his jacket sleeve and burned his supporting forearm. He eventually found he could shoot it with a heavy piece of saddle leather around his forearm, but that burn took a lot of the joy out of shooting that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yroLHtjFowI

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Mike Belleveau has a lot of pretty good BP videos on Youtube. He knows his stuff. That's a good one!

FWIW, he demonstrates in this video how easy it is to switch out cylinders on the Remington New Army. I have a couple spare cylinders for mine, and it does make for quick "reloads".... however, the Remington's cylinder binds up with soot much faster than the open-top Colt revolvers do. I've rarely been able to fire more than 3 cylinders worth out of my New Army's without having to disassemble and do a fast clean-and-lube job to get them back into action. It's a pain in the butt to do during a match, which is why I switched to the Colt clones.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Mike Belleveau has a lot of pretty good BP videos on Youtube. He knows his stuff. That's a good one!

FWIW, he demonstrates in this video how easy it is to switch out cylinders on the Remington New Army. I have a couple spare cylinders for mine, and it does make for quick "reloads".... however, the Remington's cylinder binds up with soot much faster than the open-top Colt revolvers do. I've rarely been able to fire more than 3 cylinders worth out of my New Army's without having to disassemble and do a fast clean-and-lube job to get them back into action. It's a pain in the butt to do during a match, which is why I switched to the Colt clones.

Have you tried putting 3 or 4 shallow grooves on the top and bottom of the base pin with a file to hold more lube ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbrJ95NapjY&t=33s

Last edited by bcraig; 11/16/19.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Mod for base pin in link above

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.