-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've took a lot of flack here for criticizing the NRA. Personally, I don't care how much LaPierre makes nor what suits he wears. The problem with the NRA is twofold. First, they support gun control. They're supposed to oppose it. They compromise way too much and too quickly. Second, for him to make that kind of money, the organization needs to be in the black.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
I think the NRA top brass needs to be well paid inorder to attract and retain talent but when you're making in a year what most consider to be a fully funded retirement that is when that has ballooned way too much.

He has no talent for the position. A true stiff.

I'd be interested to hear how he got the job in the first place.

He was a lobbyist, had experience working the politicians in Washington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remained worried about the accuracy of the information everyone is repeating and/or reacting to.
Board members conducting business with the NRA is worrisome stuff.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Do a google search the NRA's is required ro file non profit financials.. You will notice they are spending more than they are taking in.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You will notice they are spending more than they are taking in.

The definition of non profit grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When a not-for-profit organization is paying their officers more than the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES and then sending out letters begging for more and more money from it's members... it is time to rethink things. I send in my hard earned money to them and donate to their causes with my measley income. They can shove it. Been a member for decades. No more. I will find a more fiscally responsible organization to give my support to.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lots of good points.

Top CEO's do demand an appropriate wage. BUT, the mention of Disney and other money making companies isn't the same as a non-profit, IMO. My BIL is a computer scientist for Disney in Orlando. So, I keep up with some of their stuff. I don't have a problem with a CEO of that caliber making mega bucks. They earn it and can justify it.

I saw the list of non-profit CEO wages. Some of those saleries are pretty high. I notice that lots of these organizations have their HQ in the DC area. That's the "Swamp"!!

For centuries, the seat of power has been where the money is (goes). The K Street lobbying industry is an example. Legislators retire to the big bucks of the lobby industry, end up very rich. Have you noticed how many retired senators and reps never return home to Podunk, USA, reside in Georgetown, Virginia, somewhere in the DC area. That's where the money is.

For sure the MSM has been doing a hit job on the NRA. But, where there's smoke....

To me a non-profit with a mega high saleried bureaucracy reminds me of TV preachers. They are all making their big bucks off the contributions of Social Security, fixed income folks who really can't afford what they give. I have an NRA Benefactor membership, but like othere here, no l onger "round up" for the NRA. And I get mail and calls to join the NRA. What!. Their records don't indicate my membership status? Do they care? Looks more like a broad, big net hussle, not an honest phone call to contact members. You'd think they'd know membership status prior to making such a call... I would. They evidently don't take the time, end up insulting long standing members.

All this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, like a number here have expressed.

I think the Swamp way of doing business has become the NRA way of doing business. After all, they do have a Swamp address.

So, what do we do, where do we go from here...? We do need a powerful NRA type representation in DC.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Lots of good points.

Top CEO's do demand an appropriate wage. BUT, the mention of Disney and other money making companies isn't the same as a non-profit, IMO. My BIL is a computer scientist for Disney in Orlando. So, I keep up with some of their stuff. I don't have a problem with a CEO of that caliber making mega bucks. They earn it and can justify it.

I saw the list of non-profit CEO wages. Some of those saleries are pretty high. I notice that lots of these organizations have their HQ in the DC area. That's the "Swamp"!!

For centuries, the seat of power has been where the money is (goes). The K Street lobbying industry is an example. Legislators retire to the big bucks of the lobby industry, end up very rich. Have you noticed how many retired senators and reps never return home to Podunk, USA, reside in Georgetown, Virginia, somewhere in the DC area. That's where the money is.

For sure the MSM has been doing a hit job on the NRA. But, where there's smoke....

To me a non-profit with a mega high saleried bureaucracy reminds me of TV preachers. They are all making their big bucks off the contributions of Social Security, fixed income folks who really can't afford what they give. I have an NRA Benefactor membership, but like othere here, no l onger "round up" for the NRA. And I get mail and calls to join the NRA. What!. Their records don't indicate my membership status? Do they care? Looks more like a broad, big net hussle, not an honest phone call to contact members. You'd think they'd know membership status prior to making such a call... I would. They evidently don't take the time, end up insulting long standing members.

I think the Swamp way of doing business has become the NRA way of doing business. After all, they do have a Swamp address.

So, what do we do, where do we go from here...? We do need a powerful NRA type representation in DC.

DF

Money is their language, so you speak the language they understand and withhold what they need.

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Lots of good points.

DF

Money is their language, so you speak the language they understand and withhold what they need.

Gotcha and I'm on it...

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
this leaves a bad taste in my mouth

That's what Monica Lewinsky said.

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
this leaves a bad taste in my mouth

That's what Monica Lewinsky said.

She loved it. They all do or you wouldn't get them within 75 miles of it.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would work for 150,000 a year. He is a thief.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 11/17/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I would work for 150,000 a year. He is a thief.

Time for a reality check.

You're going to be able to live off $150k/yr in DC? Take 40% out for taxes (and that's conservative) you'll have $7500 mo to live on. Since you can't and won't live in the ghetto part of DC, what are going to find to live in for less than $5-6K/mo? This is DC, not Bugtussle. You will need a big enough place to host meetings and entertain. You got an entertainment budget or are you going to do your all lobbying down at Starbucks? What cha doing about security for you and your family? Don't you think the anti's might want to target your wife and kids? You need transportation. Not going to get much done in DC with your F-150.

Oh, and who was the smart guy that was going to dress in the Cartharts? Yeah, sure.

Are you starting to see the picture?

Truth is nobody on this thread has 1% of the qualifications for the job. I could say I'll do Nick Saban's job at Alabama for $150,000 yr and save the university $7 million. I follow football, I'm sure I could win National Titles. Riiight!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It doesn't take $10,000 suits to be persuasive and win battles. It takes passion and a vigorous defense of the truth. The right man could do the job with little and effect more change than LaP-Dog does with much. LaPierre is bleeding the NRA for his own selfish interests, plain and simple.

The way I see it, if the fight is righteous it takes only passion and resources behind it (I don't mean personal wealth) to get people on board and get the change needed. That bastard is KILLING the cause, not promoting it. Throw that SOB out on his ass and get someone in there that's doing it for the right reasons and you won't need to pay him like that to get the job done, and more effectively. Wayne LaPierre is nothing more than a thief.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
It doesn't take $10,000 suits to be persuasive and win battles. It takes passion and a vigorous defense of the truth. The right man could do the job with little and effect more change than LaP-Dog does with much. LaPierre is bleeding the NRA for his own selfish interests, plain and simple.

The way I see it, if the fight is righteous it takes only passion and resources behind it (I don't mean personal wealth) to get people on board and get the change needed. That bastard is KILLING the cause, not promoting it. Throw that SOB out on his ass and get someone in there that's doing it for the right reasons and you won't need to pay him like that to get the job done, and more effectively. Wayne LaPierre is nothing more than a thief.

OK, give me your quick list of candidates that know, law, are experienced in DC Lobbying, are effective and PROVEN fundraisers, and nimble effective communicators in print and in front of a camera because that's the job description as I see it.

Names? Come on. I'm waiting. Times up. I'll help.

If I were doing the search to replace WLP, I'd look for a former Congressman. That gets access to Congress and often the WH. Likely said ex-congressmen is a lawyer, but if not, certainly knows how bills are written, produced, handled and fed through Congress. He'd know how to STOP anti gun bills coming form the other side. Gotta find a strong 2A guy.

Quick name? Bob Barr. Former Congressman from Georgia and a strong 2A proponent. He's not the best in front of the camera, but fits the job description. Guess what? You're not getting Bob Barr, or anyone else like him for $150,000/yr anymore than you are getting Tom Brady to QB your NFL team for $150,000. Passion is great, but passion alone does not get the job done.

Don't confuse Charlton Heston's largely ceremonial run as President of the NRA with the job of working with Washington which is where the work is done. Heston made good speeches to NRA members and keep everybody happy but he wasn't the one working with the law makers. WLP was as Executive Vice President.

I'm not a friend or foe of WLP, but some of you are so small minded when you want to bitch about a CEO whose salary is >1% of the budget. Cutting his salary by 99% does not effect the balance sheet of a $450,000,000 dollar a year organization. Most of this outrage is pure butt hurt class envy and the anti gunners are eating this up.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
are effective and PROVEN fundraisers,

Don't need no stinking money to fight gun grabbers grin

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
When a not-for-profit organization is paying their officers more than the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES and then sending out letters begging for more and more money from it's members... it is time to rethink things.

Sure the President makes a little over $400,000. Did you ever consider what his perks are worth?? WLPs salary won’t go very far covering the cost of those perks. 747s don’t run on water.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.