Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I was kicking around Harlem today.

Still some single wide's around with the tail fin styling and louvered windows.

Classic.

I am MAGA.
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I was kicking around Harlem today.

Still some single wide's around with the tail fin styling and louvered windows.

Classic.

Spent a couple summers in Manhattan in one like that in the mid-70s...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for everyone's input. I most likely will find out if the job's a go tomorrow, then the heavy lifting begins. We found a small house with lake frontage that's in our price range, but it would have no hunting land with it. Still looking at our options here. I'd probably start working up there very soon. Would get a motel room intitially until I can find a small apartment and get Cathy moved up. We'll have to embark on selling our house very soon so we don't have to rent for more than a few months. Lots to think about.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Thanks for everyone's input. I most likely will find out if the job's a go tomorrow, then the heavy lifting begins. We found a small house with lake frontage that's in our price range, but it would have no hunting land with it. Still looking at our options here. I'd probably start working up there very soon. Would get a motel room intitially until I can find a small apartment and get Cathy moved up. We'll have to embark on selling our house very soon so we don't have to rent for more than a few months. Lots to think about.

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Lead on Brother!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"A divorce in Mississippi or a tornado in Oklahoma- - - - - - - -either way, somebody's gonna lose a trailer!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Check out Karsten or Clayton mobile homes - and modulars.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
"A divorce in Mississippi or a tornado in Oklahoma- - - - - - - -either way, somebody's gonna lose a trailer!"

Now that's funny!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Was it the “Derailers” or the “Turnpike Troubadours “ that sing “It ain’t home til you take the wheels off”?

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner

best of luck GG, this will be the second big life change in a short time for you!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wish you the very best GG and sincerely hope you make a good move and end up for the better!

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lived in a Lancer for 14 years.

It can be done with the right purchase.

Hope things turn out like you want.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the 70's it was cool to live in a tipi, a guy I knew did it year round, in the Adirondack Mts of NY yet (think COLD). Drove an old truck, had a hot girlfriend too, one of those guys who was all-around cooler than me.

Never saw it but I'm pretty sure he had a wood-burning stove in there somehow.

Sad deal, he was killed in a head-on collision with a drunk late one winter night frown there was a lot of drunks on the road up there back then.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I accepted the position yesterday and will start at the Baxter, Mn. clinic the Monday after Thanksgiving. Cathy and I went up and looked at 6 properties today in the Baxter area. We were pretty sure we'd end up buying a lakeside cabin we were eyeballing, but will be going another way. The lakeside property was a small cabin, not really suited for a year round residence. No basement, no garage, and no spot to build one. Typical lake lot-barely bigger that the footprint of the cabin, and at best two skinny parking spots. It's shoehorned in between two other cabins, and one's pretty messy. We weren't impressed.

We looked at three different properties with mobile homes on them and weren't impressed with any of them. All three needed lots of work, and two of them had septic issues.

We looked at two houses, and found one we both really like. Looks like we'll be putting in an offer on that one pending some detailed research on i'ts history, taxes, the neighborhood, etc. Sure looks nice to us, so we're cautiously optimistic. It ain't lake frontage, and it ain't huntable (1/2 acre lot) but for the money we have to work with, this house gives us the most bang for our buck.

Getting punch drunk from researching stuff on the project. Thanks again guys, your advice was greatly appreciated.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
AWESOME! Good going and good luck GG!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations gg good stuff. Half acre with a decent house would be a far off dream for a lot of folks look at it that way and it'll be easier to sell down the road. Good luck with the haggling and if this one doesn't pan out you've learned a lot already and are narrowing down the field, its all good.

Last edited by Salty303; 11/16/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cathy's a para in the schools here, and there's a school within easy walking distance of the house, so we're hoping if we get the house she can work there. We would have really liked to get the lakeside cabin, but it just wasn't really suitable for a year round residence. For one thing, it's on a shared private road, so no snow plowing. I'd have had to buy a plow truck, as from what we understand, neither of the other residences on the road are year round dwellings, so we'd be on the hook for keeping the quarter mile long road open ourselves.The house we're looking at is 5 minutes from my work. It's a good spot for us, I think.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biggest mistake of my life was buying a HUD double wide, BOCA would have been better. I have block skirting and a slab underneath, learned about that from the single wide that was originally on the place. Short doors are a pain. I need to replace a slider, 72x76 isn't a normal size, most sliders are 72x80.

A stick built house you can put money into with improvements and expect to get some thing back. Since I don't plan to move until some one moves my body, I keep the place livable. The next owner can build their home on the property while living here and touch a match to my dw. I'll be looking down hopefully and giving them a thumbs up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
gophergunner,

best of luck to you and your family with the new jobs, and housing. let us know how it turns out. Perhaps, if you end up with the house without hunting land, you'll have enough left over for to spring for some acreage nearby you can hunt on until you're situated such to build a dream home there................or move a nice doublewide on!

Citi-data makes it look like a decent place to live.................enjoy life there.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
gophergunner,

best of luck to you and your family with the new jobs, and housing. let us know how it turns out. Perhaps, if you end up with the house without hunting land, you'll have enough left over for to spring for some acreage nearby you can hunt on until you're situated such to build a dream home there................or move a nice doublewide on!

Citi-data makes it look like a decent place to live.................enjoy life there.

Geno

We're going to be pretty much all in on the house by the time this is said and done. The money we'll get from selling our current home will have to go towards re-funding our retirement funds. We're paying cash for the new place.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.