Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Is the RZ600 reticle a decent choice for putting on top a 30-06 for a western mule deer hunt? I’m not wanting to dial a scope but wouldn’t mind peace in my mind knowing I might be able to take a little farther shot if I had to using the bdc. Reality is I’m hoping I can get to within 250yds to seal the deal anyhow. What’s everyone’s opinion on this setup? I appreciate any help or suggestions since this will be my 1st out of state hunting trip.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used one for a while on a .308 and the reticle was very effective when used as the Zeiss instructions state. The weak link was the HD5 it was housed in. Lost zero for an unknown reason and would not track so could not be re-zeroed.

Haven’t personally used a Tract Toric but have heard and read good things about their reliability, and they offer it with a ballistic reticle that is similar to the RZ6.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I noticed on Tracts website they have a calculator for the BDC and all you do is plug all your info in. Does Zeiss have anything similar for their BDC? Nice to plug and play around with different ammos and zeroing distances.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I noticed on Tracts website they have a calculator for the BDC and all you do is plug all your info in. Does Zeiss have anything similar for their BDC? Nice to plug and play around with different ammos and zeroing distances.

Yes, they do.
I have used the rz6 and rz8 reticle ki es for years with great results.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I love it. (I use the rz800). I have found the calculators to be just a few inches off at 600 yards. I zero at 200, check the 300 and 600 and go from there. Put two rounds in a 6” bullseye at 600 yards the other day. Calculator said put my zoom on 11.5. I found my scope is best calibrated for that range at 11.2 zoom. Made a note and everything in between 300 and 600 should be pretty close. Shooting a 6.5 saum, built on a model 7 action.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love the Zeiss reticle have a couple and my primary elk rifle, 300 Weatherby, has the z800 that on 15x with a 225 yd zero matches trajectory perfectly. It is much faster than dialing. My best results were a fast shot on a big cow elk before she walked out of public. Hit her twice at 550 yards same exit hole. My cousin & another hunting partner shoot the same set-up with similar excellent results.

Using the calculator this year on long range sight in day I was able to hit 2x2 steel plate at 1100 yards fooling around since the rifle was already dead on 1st shot at 500.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Zeiss HD 3x15 rapid Z 800 scope must be used on 12X for the reticle to have meaning...... Zeiss on the phone could not say that. I had to figure it out. They wanted to enter my bullet weight into their computer program.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't use BDC type reticles very much anymore. However, as BDC type reticles go, I always preferred the Z800 and Z600 to most others. I also really like the Leupold B&C reticle. I know there is not much difference in all of them. It was just personal preference. I always recommend to those who are new to BDC reticles to get their numbers for two separate power settings. We frequently read that people say "they are only good at the highest setting" or "they are only good at one setting". The first statement is completely false and the second statement is partially false and misleading. The statements are true only with respect to numbers obtained at those settings. There is a set of numbers/distances that is good/accurate at each separate power setting. One needs to shoot and confirm the distances at the power settings of his choosing. You can get to the point of absurdity and get the accurate reading for every hash/dot/point on every power setting; but, doing so at the lowest setting (3X on a 3-9) and the highest setting (9X on a 3-9) allows for more flexibility than just doing so for one setting.

We have members who will say "Well, BigSky, that's the reason for turrets". Ya, maybe. Some don't want to do that. I spin turrets. I use fixed powers. I use BDC type. Using one doesn't make a user a better person than someone else. Trigger time with each will make one better with whatever setup one chooses. Heck, decades ago when all of these great alternatives weren't around, I thought my dad was a genius. He taught us about what I just explained with a simple duplex reticle. Ya, it was only three aiming points; but, man, did it simplify things and put rudimentary ballistics and capabilities into a new realm for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've got 2 Conquest's with the Rapid Z 600. One on a 30-06, other on a 8mm-06. I love 'em. Mostly shooting steel 1 1/2 moa steel out to 600 yds. Two points to consider: I am the most computer illiterate fool ever, and I have a big problem with the "new and improved" Zeiss ballistic website. Younger guys with smartphone friendly brains apparently have no problem. The other non problem is I occasionally forget the Zeiss adjustments are backwards with old American and Jap scopes, ie: move bullet impact up...turn adj clockwise. Move impact left, turn adj ccw. Not the scope's problem....geezer problem. The Zeiss ballistic program is to get you in the ball park, confirm with range testing.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have both Tract and Zeiss. I like both with a slight preference for the RZ600 reticle, the glass quality in either is very close.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
548 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.