Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Last Sunday I was hunting one of our stands that overlooks two fields. At around 4:00, while I was watching three does and four fawns about 200-250 yards away on the field to the left, a bobcat walked out on the field directly in front about 150 yards away. I debated for a minute or so about taking the chance of running all the deer off and ruining my chances of seeing a buck or shooting the bobcat and I decided to take the shot.

I nailed the bobcat (with a 7 mag btw) and the does and fawns 200 yards away on the other field didn’t bat an eye. They kept feeding as if nothing had happened. They didn’t even raise their heads.

45 minutes to an hour later a doe, a fawn and a 6 point came out on the field where the dead bobcat was. The doe looked at it intently for a while and then started feeding as normal. The 6 point got within 10 yards of the ‘cat and never gave any indication that he cared about the dead bobcat.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, actually I think here you got a better chance to get one during deer season since other people in the woods move them, they're maybe cruising for gut piles, etc. Only ever got one, fired at 2, both during deer season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
No. I hunt and shoot coyotes the other 50 weeks a year but I only get to rifle deer hunt for 16 days in my home state. Last Saturday I saw 3 coyotes separately on opening day of deer season at the ranch. I also saw 4 bucks between 140-160”, the neighbor kid killed a 194 inch buck last year, I ain’t potentially screwing up an opportunity at a monster buck to kill a dog. Heck I passed up the chance to fill both of my cow elk tags last weekend because I didn’t want to spook a good buck I was trying to make a move on.

Wonder if those coyotes eat any fawns that could have been a 180"+ buck?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m sure they might if given the chance. I’m also sure that, like I said above, next week or any other time year that I’m not deer hunting I shoot every one I get the chance at. Pretty sure had I shot the three coyotes I saw yesterday evening the 30 elk, 6 bucks, and 4 does I was watching would have headed out at the shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m sure they might if given the chance. I’m also sure that, like I said above, next week or any other time year that I’m not deer hunting I shoot every one I get the chance at. Pretty sure had I shot the three coyotes I saw yesterday evening the 30 elk, 6 bucks, and 4 does I was watching would have headed out at the shot.

Get a suppressor....it changes everything.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Get a suppressor....it changes everything.

Sub-Sonics more so

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All depends. Once on an elk hunt I shot a coyote. I moved on and less then 5 minutes and 100 yards later I shot a nice bull. Can't explain it, but if it your time it will happen. If its not, it won't matter what you do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Usually shoot coyotes when I can, a lot of times there are more than one together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Navlav8r: I very often see Coyotes when I am "Deer Hunting" (Montana & Wyoming).
98% of the time I do not shoot the Coyotes for fear of spoiling a Deer opportunity.
This fall (October 28th) I was Hunting Whitetail Deer on a huge ranch here in SW Montana. This was the third day of the Rifle season and I had already passed on one Coyote on the opening day of the Deer season near this same spot. On this third day of the season I "heard" a Coyote killing what turned out to be a fawn of the year. The squalling of that little Deer went on for minutes!
There was snow on the ground and the killing took place about 300 yards from me in a dry irrigation ditch that had thick willows on both banks of the ditch.
I use this ditch to walk down (stalk along) when trying to get within range of the often field feeding Whitetails.
I was intent on a particular Buck Whitetail at the time and did not go investigate the noise, and the kill scene for a couple of hours.
The freshly killed "fawn of the year" was only partially eaten and the sign at the scene indicated at least two Coyotes - never did see them that day - they must have winded me as I crept down the ditch towards them.
Anyway this ranch had/has what I have counted/estimated to be about 800 Whitetails on it!
I Hunted for nearly two weeks on this ranch harvesting a dandy 11 point Buck on November 7th.
During my Hunts I found a total of four freshly killed "yearling" Whitetails - I did not cover one half of that ranch.
Got off on a tangent during the ensuing Elk season (which just closed yesterday) but I am headed back to that ranch with one of my Coyote guns tomorrow.
I intend on killing at least two Coyotes there.
My point is Coyotes kill an egregious amount of fawns/yearlings and I consider it a necessary part of Deer Hunting to kill Coyotes whenever and wherever possible!
I just do not very often kill them when I am actively Hunting Deer.
Maybe I am overly cautious in this regard?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve shot coyotes, sit tight, here comes a deer 25 minutes later.

I won’t take a Hail Mary shot on a coyote while deer hunting, but will always take the 50 yrd gimmee.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ky221
It doesn’t matter what I’m hunting. If I see a coyote, it becomes a coyote hunt.

Foxes and cats get passes. I only shoot those by calling them in.

Yup, exactly.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sometimes....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tri70
Would you pop a coyote or varmint while sitting in your deer stand or stalking deer? I have killed a few coyotes while deer and get excited about shooting them as much as deer.

Coyote, yep, cougar, yep .. without a doubt. "Varmint" .. as in rodent, usually not. Unless it pissed me off, then all bets are off. I have carried a 2nd gun for varmints a few times though so not impossible.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sometimes....

Always had a thing for those monster 2-points! ( though that one has some junk on the one side....) grin

Really surprised that blue tape didnt scare him off! ( ....Snork!....)

Last edited by ingwe; 02/18/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will always take a coyote when out for deer or antelope, I'm suppressed and never worry about gun blast running game off.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
DEAD DOG WALKING>>>>>

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Years ago I was deer hunting with a buddy of mine, he had the tag. We’d been glassing this draw for a good little while when I glassed up a coyote. It was getting late in the morning, so I asked him if he wanted to shoot the coyote. He said might as well, laid down and smoked the dog. I got back in my glass and was doing a scan when I see two bucks get out of their bed, to see what the commotion is. They had been bedded in an arroyo the whole time. We decide one is a shooter. Made a move and killed him. Definitely owe that buck to shooting the coyote!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
It happens...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you wonder if it was a wolf cross? It's pretty big,( maybe bigger than you think ) and the white feet,... I've shot a few big coyotes, but that one is odd colored to boot.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BigNate
Originally Posted by ingwe
It happens...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you wonder if it was a wolf cross? It's pretty big,( maybe bigger than you think ) and the white feet,... I've shot a few big coyotes, but that one is odd colored to boot.

That one was in north Texas, so probably no wolf in it...but if I ever killed one that had domestic dog in it anywhere, he would be the one....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can shoot all the deer I care to without putting much effort into it. Up here, coyotes are much harder to get. Likewise, most varmints most of the time. I keep a .22 in the deer stand for the little ones and whatever I am shooting Bambi with is just fine for the bigger varmints. I will happily shoot all the varmints I can while hunting deer.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.