Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tpcollins
A bit nippy this morning, 27 degrees with a 6mph breeze blowing in my left ear from the window being down in the blind - wind chill was 17 degrees.

Ran out of coffee at 10:00am and the Mr Heater started sputtering so I was done for the day. Saw 2 doe.

I used to take care of that with a cigarette butt in the ear. Now I carry thin veggie grocer bags to stick in my ears for shooting. Wish I had done that years ago when the left ear could still hear a high pitched alarm clock.

Now when I hear a squirrel barking at me and I look toward the sound, the sucker is actually to the left of it about 35 degrees.

That plastic is great re causing no ear pain and prevents cold wind ear ache.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/17/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Apparently the kill em all/10 tags at a time antler less tags in the CWD zone is paying off.

Three of us hunted the first two days in west Newaygo Co. covering 80 acres. We saw 8 total sightings among the 3 of us.
All small does and was probably repeats of the same 2. Used to see that and more apiece each day.
Couple small forks and spikes on the camera, but a lot of coyote pics. One pic had 3 coyotes in the screen at once.
Guess they are helping the kill em all program.

Gave up and came home today. May go back for the day later this week depending on the weather.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
just checked and i'll be giving late season antlerless a try, Christmas Day hunt...!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Today was mass immigration time for the deer. 10:00 am a bunch of does and fawns came from the North at a trot. I counted 19 and they all went for the bedding area. 10:40 am another 10 or so does n fawns came hustling in from the West.
It looks like I own the sanctuary spot for the surrounding areas. I’m leaving it alone till Friday when the nephew gets here.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Today was mass immigration time for the deer. 10:00 am a bunch of does and fawns came from the North at a trot. I counted 19 and they all went for the bedding area. 10:40 am another 10 or so does n fawns came hustling in from the West.
It looks like I own the sanctuary spot for the surrounding areas. I’m leaving it alone till Friday when the nephew gets here.

Deer drives big in your area?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
No mostly small farms mixed with river bottom land and woods. Plus houses lined up along most of the roads. There was a bunch of shooting North and South. Some of the deer coming from the West were wet, meaning they had crossed the river. Maybe all of that bunch were, they were hauling azz so maybe I just missed that.
There’s a possibility that there were folks doing drives, we’re new here and I don’t know hardly any of the local hunters.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 11/17/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, my nephew shot his first buck today. 11:45 am. A nice little 6 point.
The hit was center left shoulder. The Hornady 250 gr. Flex Tip turned 90* down and exited between the left front leg and the brisket. It never got inside the chest cavity.
We tracked him on a good blood trail, and when we found him he was down and very sick with his antlers tangled in an autumn olive bush. Coup de Grace was administered immediately.
Disappointing performance even though the deer was down. I found the plastic tip from the bullet on the ground with a pile of white hair.

Last night the educated doe slipped up on us 2minutes after legal shooting time. We tried waiting her out, but she was loitering close to the backside of the blind. She blew and took off into the darkness raising the alarm all the way. Bitch.
I have a score to settle with her in the next couple of days. She’s a lone doe and came in looking hard at the blind, so if she comes back I think I’ll recognize her. Would it be racist or sexist to say that all does look the same?

Last edited by m_stevenson; 11/24/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Well, my nephew shot his first buck today. 1:45 am. A nice little 6 point.
The hit was center left shoulder. The Hornady 250 gr. Flex Tip turned 90* down and exited between the left front leg and the brisket. It never got inside the chest cavity.
We tracked him on a good blood trail, and when we found him he was down and very sick with his antlers tangled in an autumn olive bush. Coup de Grace was administered immediately.
Disappointing performance even though the deer was down. I found the plastic tip from the bullet on the ground with a pile of white hair.

Last night the educated doe slipped up on us 2minutes after legal shooting time. We tried waiting her out, but she was loitering close to the backside of the blind. She blew and took off into the darkness raising the alarm all the way. Bitch.
I have a score to settle with her in the next couple of days. She’s a lone doe and came in looking hard at the blind, so if she comes back I think I’ll recognize her. Would it be racist or sexist to say that all does look the same?

Profile that bytch .....
Then pop her in the noggin.

Lol!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If she blows

She goes

I heard that somewhere...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
145am??

How far was the shot?
I’ve had less than favorable results with those flex tips in my .35 rem. They seem to blow up like a varmint bullet. I have a 450 bushmaster but haven’t had a chance to hunt with it yet. Guess I better find a good bullet before I take a chance with it. Congrats on a successful hunt and tracking job

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
If she blows

She goes

I heard that somewhere...

I heard it was if she blows, she’s a keeper!

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by hunter4623
145am??

How far was the shot?
I’ve had less than favorable results with those flex tips in my .35 rem. They seem to blow up like a varmint bullet. I have a 450 bushmaster but haven’t had a chance to hunt with it yet. Guess I better find a good bullet before I take a chance with it. Congrats on a successful hunt and tracking job

Oops, fat finger syndrome. It was 11:45 am. Meaning almost lunchtime!
The shot was at 104 yards. He stopped in the middle of a shooting lane and I ranged him with my Leica Geovids.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 11/23/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 6 point 2-1/2 year old in the U. P. on Sunday. No bait, no blind, on public land. That might not mean much to the non-Michigan hunters here, but it is outside the norm.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Congratulations Youper!
I hunted a lot of state land around Crawford Kalkaska and Otsego Counties during my 30 years living there. Took a good number of deer in those locales.
The toughest part was getting far enough to get away from other hunters. Those forests have so many two tracks that you couldn’t find a place more than a mile from a road.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations Youper!
I hunted a lot of state land around Crawford Kalkaska and Otsego Counties during my 30 years living there. Took a good number of deer in those locales.
The toughest part was getting far enough to get away from other hunters. Those forests have so many two tracks that you couldn’t find a place more than a mile from a road.

grin

My nephew hunted over by Rose City. He thought he was a badass by walking in a couple of miles away from a road until he killed a decent buck that far in a couple of years ago. Took him and a friend the better part of a day to get it out far enough to finish the job with a quad. Kids... 🤣

Good luck Mark!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good luck, I’m headed to lease in a little while.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
One early opening morning I walked in about 1-1/2 miles to a ridge that I found on Satellite photos. Set my folding hunting chair up and poured a cup of coffee waiting for dawn in an hour. About 45 minutes later, here come headlights from a different direction. The truck stops not 75 yds away and 3 guys pile out.
They were on a new logging road that came in from the opposite direction. It took those guys till about 5 minutes to legal shooting time and they headed off in different directions. I could hear crunching in the snow coming toward me and then stop. As it got lighter there stood a buck watching where one guy walked off. I waited the 4-5 minutes till 6:52 am legal time and shot him. He ran toward their truck and died in the logging road not 25 ft. from the parked truck. After a few minutes here comes a couple if those guys, obviously thinking it was one of them who shot. Imagine their surprise when they found me gutting the buck off the side of the logging road.
It was a long drag to get him out of there, but I wasn’t going to leave him anywhere near them while I went back and drove my truck around.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 11/24/19. Reason: Fat finger mistakes

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.