-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 11/15/19.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a photo somewhere of my mother and I when I was three years old posing with the big 4x4 blacktail buck she took with her Inland 30 M1 carbine. Her one and only buck.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I have a photo somewhere of my mother and I when I was three years old posing with the big 4x4 blacktail buck she took with her Inland 30 M1 carbine. Her one and only buck.

Well wipe away those tears of nostalgia and jump on this baby! For Ma. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a bunch of them till the price hit the $100 range (many years ago) then I dumped most. I thought they had topped out...but they hadn't. blush

Fun to shoot, easy to reload for and like the 99 lots of variations to collect.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A good buddy had amassed around 150 of the the things back in the late 80's-early 90's, plus enough parts to put around 50 more together. One day he woke up and didn't feel like doing M1 Carbines anymore and sold everything. Between that and his impressive collection of Civil War artillery projectiles, he made enough to pay off the note on his house and with the leftover $ dove into the world of early American postage stamps.

He did keep the M2 Carbine though. Now there was a fu-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-n gun to shoot!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found reloading for a 30 carbine to be a pita. Although that was for one a them eargsplittenloudenboomer Ruger single action pistols. Because they headspace on the case mouth, if you trim your cartridges a tiny bit too short they misfire as the firing pin pushes the case forward in the chamber.

I thought to myself, self, how stupid a design is that? And unloaded that pig.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I handloaded a pretty fair amount of .30 Carbine ammo. It's been a rather long time ago now but I don't remember trimming brass. I do remember I used a 110 grain Lyman cast bullet and a stiff charge of H-110. I also remember having to get at the gas port and ream out the lead deposit buildup in it once.

Headspace on case mouth a bad idea? Not an issue with .45ACP, 9mm, and the like.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have one Carbine left. A Nov 1944 model if I am not mis-remembering.

I don't think it's possible to lose money on anything serial numbered 1941-1945.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
---updated---

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never was excited about them. Like the M16/AR15 if it's not powerful enough to stop a bear I ain't interested. However during the evacuation of Saigon one of the South Vietnamese airman deposited his pretty little blond stocked M2 on the flight deck. I was about to grab it when I got distracted. When I turned back it was gone. The tall skinny dufus supply officer had thrown it overboard. I had already developed a strong dislike for the prick and thought it would be nice to send him in after the M2. A lot of other good stuff went into the South China sea during that fiasco. And some things like the supply officer didn't go overboard and should have.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well this one is NOT in the south china sea. It's in my North America United States Safe.
The M1 carbine like any other firearm has it's place in the spectrum of shooting, collecting, historic WWII memorabilia, etc.
Some say a 160 gr. broadhead/arrow can't kill a bear either. Tell that to 5 bears that I've harvested that way.
I just shoot paper with mine. Vary the range, shoot offhand is a lot of fun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always wanted a M1, I might pick one up someday. They are a neat piece of history.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Always wanted a M1, I might pick one up someday. They are a neat piece of history.

Carbine or Garand (Springfield, H&R)? I have both available. smile
Everyone should own at least one "gun that won the war".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a H&R Garand. Almost snagged a reasonably cheap shooter carbine at Tulsa, glad I waited and got the 250-3000 RS tho.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point about the broadhead. I guess I'm a chicken, I like to have confidence in my firepower.
Garand is another subject. I have an unmolested Springfield with an 89,xxx serial number.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Dutch Geweer Garand. It was a gift from a friend, so it will stay in the safe till after I'm gone.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had three before our government they had to go, one was a Winchester that had wood a quality sporting rifle would look good in.

My Dad in New Guinea during the war a lowly lance corporal in the engineers, he worked closely with US troops in the same area and had a very good friendship with a captain from Ohio I think, strange for other ranks to cobber up with officers but they had similar interests and I guess at the time friendship was important.

Well this officer promised my father his m.2 and a stack of books on engineering, dad had to go out on a job and the US troops left during that time, the captain left a note that he left everything with the quarter master, i'm sure you can guess the rest.

I still have photos of dad and his US buddies and I treasure them

Johno

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Well this one is NOT in the south china sea. It's in my North America United States Safe.
The M1 carbine like any other firearm has it's place in the spectrum of shooting, collecting, historic WWII memorabilia, etc.

I just shoot paper with mine. Vary the range, shoot offhand is a lot of fun.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used to shoot pistol silhouette targets with mine off hand. A clip full of 15 head shots no problem at 25 yards, similar to your target. I have pictures somewhere, to lazy to find them and figure out how to post them.

I have one Garand left as well. A minty unmolested 1944 Springfield. I used to shoot it some and it was a head shot rifle as well. Retired it from the range. It's just for looking at now. Somebody 50 or 100 years from now will thank me for that.

I don't think there was ever a better platform to shoot off hand from than the M1 Garand.

That gun with receiver sights can make any average shot with average eye sight a 200 yard sniper.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sold. Heading to the South Pacific.
Wonder if it's been there before...?

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.