Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
We have a Smith 627 that has been a pain. I tried a variety of loads, mostly wadcutters or semi-wadcutter target loads. Six to 8 inch groups at 25 were the norm. The best load I found went three inches. To say it was disappointing would be an understatement. Anyway, I put it away for a month or so. This weekend we went to the Tusla gun show and I happened upon some Hornady 158g XTPs in their custom load. We use something similar in in the wife's .44 deer carbine with good success, so heck, why not?

I tried them this morning. Three rounds at 25 paces went into an inch. I stopped there.

It was sunny this morning, 12 degrees with very little wind. The creek was running good and the cabin was warm and tight. To cap it all off a revolver I had given up on shot great. On the way out of the forest I stopped at a one room mom and pop gas station for coffee, a biscuit, and to pet their retriever. It doesn’t get much better than that.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I would put away a lifetime supply of those xtps right away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's always a relief when you find the magic beans that makes a problem child shine. I've been through that with several rifles and pistols over the years.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
glad you found something that worked. Smith and Wesson revolver quality is hit or miss these days.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am dissappointed in this handgun because I had always heard how wonderful N frame Smiths were. I like the way this one handles, but it shot terribly with any cast bullet "target" load I am familiar with. The crown on it looks pretty rough too, but I looked at several at the Tulsa show and they all looked the same. This may be the new normal for Smith and Wesson.

Anyway, I am glad I found at least one load it likes. Apparently the "target" revolver likes to be loaded hot and with jacketed bullets.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
I am dissappointed in this handgun because I had always heard how wonderful N frame Smiths were. I like the way this one handles, but it shot terribly with any cast bullet "target" load I am familiar with. The crown on it looks pretty rough too, but I looked at several at the Tulsa show and they all looked the same. This may be the new normal for Smith and Wesson.

Anyway, I am glad I found at least one load it likes. Apparently the "target" revolver likes to be loaded hot and with jacketed bullets.
I figured it was a pre-lock gun. I didn't know they still made 627's. You get it ironed out and it will be a good one, most likely. I've owned two 27's and they were great guns, if overbuilt for the cartridge.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I figured it was a pre-lock gun. I didn't know they still made 627's. You get it ironed out and it will be a good one, most likely. I've owned two 27's and they were great guns, if overbuilt for the cartridge.

I know several people who love the 27, which is the main reason I decided to try this one. The factory tuned trigger is nice in both single and double action, it just does not shoot as well as I was led to believe.

I tried it again this weekend, and while I did not get the stellar groups I got on the first day, it still did alright. The light was not as good and I had trouble seeing the sights so groups were roughly twice what I got last week. I will order some xtps and see if I can duplicate the Hornady factory load or close to it. Might try an after market rear sight as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I know several people who love the 27, which is the main reason I decided to try this one. The factory tuned trigger is nice in both single and double action, it just does not shoot as well as I was led to believe.

I tried it again this weekend, and while I did not get the stellar groups I got on the first day, it still did alright. The light was not as good and I had trouble seeing the sights so groups were roughly twice what I got last week. I will order some xtps and see if I can duplicate the Hornady factory load or close to it. Might try an after market rear sight as well.
I think things will get better if you hang in there with it and you'll end up liking it. Can't beat a big N frame with a stick.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 69sportfury, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,136
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.