Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So I have been a hunter, pure and simple. Recently I have discovered how much I enjoy punching paper. I am planning on working over one of my rifles and have that as my paper punching gun. If it matters, caliber will be 25-06. So I am not sure what scope/magnification to go with. I like fairly high magnification, I have shot 3 power at 100 yards before. I am thinking something in the 12-16 power range. Was thinking fixed instead of variable since money is really an issue. (You remember what it was like to get married, and buy a house?) anyway, money does NOT grow on trees around here. would like to keep it under 300. Range will be from 100-500 yards. I am considering the SWFA SS 12x42. Any other brand with good fixed power scopes that I should be considering? I want to learn how to dial my scope for particular ranges, so reliability in that department would sure help. Also warranty is a pretty big deal to me, and for that reason I am thinking Nikon is off the table.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Used Leupolds or Weavers even Redfields.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jevyod
So I have been a hunter, pure and simple. Recently I have discovered how much I enjoy punching paper. I am planning on working over one of my rifles and have that as my paper punching gun. If it matters, caliber will be 25-06. So I am not sure what scope/magnification to go with. I like fairly high magnification, I have shot 3 power at 100 yards before. I am thinking something in the 12-16 power range. Was thinking fixed instead of variable since money is really an issue. (You remember what it was like to get married, and buy a house?) anyway, money does NOT grow on trees around here. would like to keep it under 300. Range will be from 100-500 yards. I am considering the SWFA SS 12x42. Any other brand with good fixed power scopes that I should be considering? I want to learn how to dial my scope for particular ranges, so reliability in that department would sure help. Also warranty is a pretty big deal to me, and for that reason I am thinking Nikon is off the table.

Why a 25-06 for a paper puncher?

An SWFA fixed power is the bang for buck option for what you want.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Jevyod

Why a 25-06 for a paper puncher?

An SWFA fixed power is the bang for buck option for what you want.

the only gun I had that I would consider turning into a paper punching gun was a 30-06. Wanted something that was lighter recoil, but there is a slight chance it will get hunted so did not want to modify the action too much. Plus I have an older man that I have become friends with, and he used to be a gunsmith. He will be helping me do the work. He really likes the 25-06 round, built quite a few of them, and this gun will also partly be something to remember him by. My question is why not?!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what you want and your price range I don’t see a better answer than a SWFA.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For an out to 500 yard paper puncher I'd select something with a smaller case capacity to bore ratio and a better selection of target oriented projectiles.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman
For an out to 500 yard paper puncher I'd select something with a smaller case capacity to bore ratio and a better selection of target oriented projectiles.

Anything in mind that would work on an 06 action? Had thought about 270..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you gotta go '06 length then how about a 6.5-06 with a quick twist barrel? There's a better selection of target bullets in 6.5 than there is for .25 and .27 cals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jevyod,

As much as I like higher end glass, I still think the best scope value is a Tasco World Class 4-16X40. They are about $100 last time I checked. That's what I would get if I was starting out. In fact I used them until the last fifteen years when I switched to Bushnell 6500 and Swarovski z5.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
For what you want and your price range I don’t see a better answer than a SWFA.

I'd probably go with the 10X myself, but I can't see any issue if you like the 12's. They got alot of use around my house. Excellent scopes for the money.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.