Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DETROIT – One Michigan brother accidentally shot another while hunting together on Saturday, police said.

At around 5:30 p.m. deputies responded to a field in Boston Township, Michigan, for a report of an accidental shooting.

The brothers were looking for a deer that one of the brothers had shot earlier but became separated during a search in the dense corn, the sheriff's office said.

One brother, a 29-year-old, thought he saw and heard the deer moving and fired his muzzle loading rifle. The man, realizing he shot his brother, a 28-year-old, and not the deer, immediately called 911.

The injured brother was flown to a hospital where he is listed in serious but stable condition.

The deer was not located. The investigation is ongoing.

This wasn't the only hunting accident as the season opened in Michigan. Police say two boys ages 4 and 6 were injured when a gun discharged while their father was preparing to go hunting.

how is this possible ?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by persiandog
DETROIT – One Michigan brother accidentally shot another while hunting together on Saturday, police said.

At around 5:30 p.m. deputies responded to a field in Boston Township, Michigan, for a report of an accidental shooting.

The brothers were looking for a deer that one of the brothers had shot earlier but became separated during a search in the dense corn, the sheriff's office said.

One brother, a 29-year-old, thought he saw and heard the deer moving and fired his muzzle loading rifle. The man, realizing he shot his brother, a 28-year-old, and not the deer, immediately called 911.

The injured brother was flown to a hospital where he is listed in serious but stable condition.

This wasn't the only hunting accident as the season opened in Michigan. Police say two boys ages 4 and 6 were injured when a gun discharged while their father was preparing to go hunting.

how is this possible ?

Sound shots.

And by being a dumb ass.

Last edited by ironbender; 11/18/19.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would have thought it was dark at around 5:30 PM in Michigan. Maybe past legal shooting time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

how is this possible ?

Being a total dumbass and not being 100% sure of what you are shooting.

You can't take that shot back once you pull the trigger.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep, the so called "sound shot" some idiots will loose.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Doc told him that his brother would have probably made it if he hadn't gutted him and tied him to the roof of the car.............

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

how is this possible ?

Being a total dumbass and not being 100% sure of what you are shooting.

You can't take that shot back once you pull the trigger.

100%, it's all about muzzle control.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The Doc told him that his brother would have probably made it if he hadn't gutted him and tied him to the roof of the car.............

That's a take off of an old Aggie joke... grin

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won’t pass judgement until I see a picture of the brother.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I always taught in Hunter Ed, "If you shoot at a rustle in the bushes, it might be Russell."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The shooter''s son apologized. "Sorry Uncle Buck".

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I would have thought it was dark at around 5:30 PM in Michigan. Maybe past legal shooting time.

If he shined him, for sure his eyes weren't far enough apart to be a deer... blush

Shouldn't be kidding about a disastrous accident. Hope the brothers recover, the one shot and the one who did the shooting. They're both damaged.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

This was my first thought. Pitch black dark in standing corn and your going to shoot at a sound when you know your brother is out there some where. Duhhhh.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't really count since he wasn't using a firearm.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sawbuck
It doesn't really count since he wasn't using a firearm.

Tell the shot brother that...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to do when you have to verify width of rack wider than ears and at least 3 points on a side where I usually hunt.

Brown downers and dinkers shooting each other. No trigger restraint, fools, no sympathy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems that this happens in Michigan every year.

Lived there when I was a kid and my dad refeused to go hunting during rifle season - bow only. Too many jugheads hunt in the morning, drive into town to watch the game at a bar during lunch and down some drinks and head back to blind. He swore he saw that in every town in Michigan during hunting season, and we'd have these reports every year.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Happened on my clients land talked to him this morning and he said it was almost dark.

Guy obviously didn’t verify his target.

Damned shame.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That’s horrible, How in the hell is that possible? Novice hunter??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The article says that the deputies responded at 5:30. The shooting obviously took place some amount of time before that.

Reading comprehension seems to match that guy's hunting skills.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While I feel bad for this family but there's no excuses for this kinda stuff.. Simply blatant disregard of gun safety rules. Know your target and what lies beyond!!

All the deer bred cannot make up for one man dead!!!!

Last edited by Highoctane; 11/18/19.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snap shooting. When I was a kid in rural Pa we were warned not to stray about too far. Snap shooting was popular for old farts who figured nobody should be on "their" mountain anyway. Particularly that neighbor who told the feds where the still was.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The article says that the deputies responded at 5:30. The shooting obviously took place some amount of time before that.

Reading comprehension seems to match that guy's hunting skills.

Good job picking all that apart there "Colombo"

Could've already been well beyond usable light when/where it happened. For instance, a deep hollow, a shadowed bluff, a thick pine thicket.

Oh yeah, and just because you only have a 1974 flip phone, doesn't mean they could not have called it in 10 minutes before the deputies responded. Usually when a shooting is called, the police respond 10/100.

Maybe you could lean a little more on the ability of common deducement instead of a sniped jab at the OP.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

how is this possible ?

Sound shots.

And by being a dumb ass.

That!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
It seems that this happens in Michigan every year.

Lived there when I was a kid and my dad refeused to go hunting during rifle season - bow only. Too many jugheads hunt in the morning, drive into town to watch the game at a bar during lunch and down some drinks and head back to blind. He swore he saw that in every town in Michigan during hunting season, and we'd have these reports every year.

In the rare event I hunt away from our property I where two headlamps--pointing front and rear--in really low light when entering or exiting the area. Too many horror stories every year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how is this possible ?

Stupidity!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
how is this possible ?
It is easy for me to see how this is possible. In low light I've seen what I was almost sure was a deer or at least an animal that was actually an inanimate feature of the landscape. Often something that even though it had been there all along it looked way different in the last few minutes of legal shooting time. When I taught hunter safety I cautioned students that there are legally blind people and color blind people out there hunting. A fair percent of the deer hunting accident victims are wearing hunter orange. You don't have to pass a vision test to get a hunting license. A flashlight is highly advisable.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i sent this to my brother with the subject "see ya saturday bitch"

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
was his name john hunter by chance......

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont they teach Hunter Education in Michigan?

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

how is this possible ?

I hope he saved the liver and heart.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork

I teach hunters safety in Michigan, but you can’t fix stupid!!!

Keep your finger on it the trigger, muzzle in a safe direction, and be sure of your target and what’s beyond!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

how is this possible ?

I guess when they heard "Be sure of your target" in their hunting safety course classes they never paid attention. This actually falls into lack of common sense or dumber then a box of rocks. He should not possess a hunting license ever.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
sibling rivalry

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whelenman

I teach hunters safety in Michigan, but you can’t fix stupid!!!

Keep your finger on it the trigger, muzzle in a safe direction, and be sure of your target and what’s beyond!!!!

yes, and we'll make an example...which is what i did about the two guys attacked by their own deer a few weeks ago out west, one of whom was killed

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

how is this possible ?

How big was its rack?

Pls pardon double post Persian.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/20/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Instead of criticizing the shooter you should be praising him for being sharp enough to notice it wasn't a deer prior to field dressing him.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Instead of criticizing the shooter you should be praising him for being sharp enough to notice it wasn't a deer prior to field dressing him.

Would hate to figure it out while getting your second helping of "deer" stew.......

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Of course....the deer would taste like pork......causing some initial confusion.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I discovered an internet search engine called Google. It's really cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years ago there was a story of a deer hunter that shot his partner - right between the eyes. Now that was a little harder to swallow as an accident.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 12344mag

TFF

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Sort of.

Two years ago I took my 10 year old grandson (at the time) to a Hunter Safety course and the instructor was a GI Joe know it all that thought he knew everything but I only dared to correct him once - didn’t want him to take it out on my grandson (who scored 50 out of 50 on the test). laugh

My brother-in-law took his grandson to one about 5 years ago and he said the old codger of an instructor made numerous wrong statements.

When you have some idiots doing the teaching, what do you expect the result to be?

Last edited by tpcollins; 11/20/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Scary stuff shooting at sound. Years ago was hunting with a friend and upon returning to camp I hear a bunch of shots fired. Hit the ground and stay there for about 5 minutes. Finally get up and walk into camp and ask my friend about the shots. His response is I saw a bunch of deer walking away, yea did you see a buck? Their had to be one there! Trip ended right then and there. Just after last light the noise outside of camp just might be your hunting partner returning to camp.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

i am sure darkness played a role. For some reason, legal shooting time ends well after it is too dark to see anything to shoot, especially if it is overcast.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I don't know if that's supposed to be humor, a dig, or both.

Being on similar latitude as MI, I know it's dark around here at 5:30 PM this time of year.

Supposedly the call to 911 was made immediately after the shooting. And it was 5:30-something when the 911 call came in.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hopefully the wounded brother heals up well, then takes the shooter's muzzleloader away from him and beats him with it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don't know if that's supposed to be humor, a dig, or both.

Being on similar latitude as MI, I know it's dark around here at 5:30 PM this time of year.

Supposedly the call to 911 was made immediately after the shooting. And it was 5:30-something when the 911 call came in.

I Googled Sunset Boston Township MI.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun...051j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
OK, got it. So maybe not as dark as I thought.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Timing of sunrise and set is hugely influenced by longitude...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Might be when they got to the field.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hmmm, was the brother bonking the other's wife?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sunset for Nov 16th was roughly 5:15 for that area, end of legal hunting hours was 5:40pm.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

exactly right

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
as i mentioned, if it is overcast, dusk and/or raining, you can't see sh_t.

the idiots i used to hunt with would stay well past the time you could see anything, before emerging with guns loaded, as if they are going to get a shot at something in the bushes

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This is why I don't hunt in crowded areas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is deer hunting, not close combat. What a freaking idiot.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was talking to someone who said he was hunting with a friend and the friend died, non firearms related. He had to tell the family which he never met. I can't imagine having to tell a sister-in -law that I killed her husband.

I just thinking I know that the article did not say the guy died.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
i sent this to my brother with the subject "see ya saturday bitch"

LOL!!!!

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Snap shooting. When I was a kid in rural Pa we were warned not to stray about too far. Snap shooting was popular for old farts who figured nobody should be on "their" mountain anyway. Particularly that neighbor who told the feds where the still was.

NH, I always heard them referred to as sound shots. shocked

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Ha. They need to teach voter education.

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You can almost see to the end of legal light if youre running a Leupold. wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.