Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I like each of these next_gen powders for different applications. How about the rest of you?

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like them too.

I use the RL-23 in my 300 Win. Mag. and RL-26 in my 6.5 PRC

I'm sure there are other loads for these powder.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
RL-23 works well with 150 NBT's in 280 also.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

RL26 is bit of a specialty powder. The 270 and 243 seem to be the biggest beneficiaries. Other cartridges to varying degrees. Talked to an Alliant rep this spring and the subject of RL26 and the 6.5 CM came up. His comment was "There are better powders for the 6.5 Creedmore"..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I really like both powders and use both in a number of cartridges.

What I have generally found is that 23 gives me better accuracy while 26 gives me more speed. Another inch of accuracy or another 100' per second. Take your pick.

IC B2

41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
I really like both powders and use both in a number of cartridges. What I have generally found is that 23 gives me better accuracy while 26 gives me more speed. Another inch of accuracy or another 100' per second. Take your pick.

My findings exactly.

We deal in lead, friend.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RL-23 is more temperature-resistant, because it was designed to be. RL-16 turned out to be pretty temp-resistant, accidentally. Accuracy can be very good with either, but in my experience it's easier to develop really accurate loads with 23, in a wider variety of cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reloader-26 works well with 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 7mag.I still need to see how it works with 160gr Accubonds,I think it will work great for them too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by baldhunter; 11/19/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Reloader-26 works well with 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 7mag.I still need to see how it works with 160gr Accubonds,I think it will work great for them too.

67.5 gr. RL-26 with 160 NAB out of a 7RM is a great load, cruising around 3K fps. I loaded this combo for my buds recent African PG hunt. He was most impressed with the performance, mostly one shot kills. A Wildebeest took a chest hit, kept walking, another chest hit, slowed down, but not on the ground until a neck hit put his nose in the dirt. All three were fatal hits. All the other animals were either DRT or walked only a few yards after one shot. Bud does know how to shoot. A fellow hunter borrowed this rifle for a 300 yd shot, one hit, DRT. The PH was impressed with the rifle, the load and bud's shooting.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

RL26 is bit of a specialty powder. The 270 and 243 seem to be the biggest beneficiaries. Other cartridges to varying degrees. Talked to an Alliant rep this spring and the subject of RL26 and the 6.5 CM came up. His comment was "There are better powders for the 6.5 Creedmore"..........

And with the 257R. I loaded RL-26 with 120's. Didn't burn clean, had enough residue in the chamber that I couldn't load the next round. After shaking out the residue, next round chambered OK.

With the above 7RM/160 NAB load, it was half inch at a hundred, 3" at 400, about as accurate as that rifle can shoot.

I agree RL-23 is more flexible regarding application in a larger selection of rounds. But, when you find the right combo with RL-26, you've got a performer.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

67.5 gr. RL-26 with 160 NAB out of a 7RM is a great load, cruising around 3K fps. I loaded this combo for my buds recent African PG hunt. He was most impressed with the performance, mostly one shot kills. A Wildebeest took a chest hit, kept walking, another chest hit, slowed down, but not on the ground until a neck hit put his nose in the dirt. All three were fatal hits. All the other animals were either DRT or walked only a few yards after one shot. Bud does know how to shoot. A fellow hunter borrowed this rifle for a 300 yd shot, one hit, DRT. The PH was impressed with the rifle, the load and bud's shooting.

DF

67.5grs is exactly the load I was thinking would work.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
R-23 gets the nod whenever it works and it usually does well where I had used R22 previously. R16 is replacing R17 for most of those applications too.

R26 I like the velocities in the cartridges that it is a good match for but have reservations about using R26 in hot weather especially with red lined loads. Pressure also sneaks up on you at maximum charges. There was a rumor that Nitro Chemie was trying to improve the temperature sensitivity of R26 but that may just be wishful thinking. It seems very uniform until around or above 90 degrees and also at or near 65,000 psi. I would like to see some pressure curves for R26 to see if it supports my observations.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

67.5grs is exactly the load I was thinking would work.

It does, for sure.

DF

41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=alpinecrick]RL26 is bit of a specialty powder. I agree RL-23 is more flexible regarding application in a larger selection of rounds. But, when you find the right combo with RL-26, you've got a performer. DF

True that.

My 270 Winchester ran a 4 shot string with an average muzzle velocity of 3191 fps a SD of 6 fps. This with the Nosler 150 grain long range Accubond over 60.8 grains of Reloder 26 in new Nosler brass & a Federal 210m

1st group @ .519"
2nd group @ .833"

100 yards benchrested.

We deal in lead, friend.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 41rem
[quote=alpinecrick]RL26 is bit of a specialty powder. I agree RL-23 is more flexible regarding application in a larger selection of rounds. But, when you find the right combo with RL-26, you've got a performer. DF

True that.

My 270 Winchester ran a 4 shot string with an average muzzle velocity of 3191 fps a SD of 6 fps. This with the Nosler 150 grain long range Accubond over 60.8 grains of Reloder 26 in new Nosler brass & a Federal 210m

1st group @ .519"
2nd group @ .833"

100 yards benchrested.

It does burn clean and consistent in the right round, seems to do well when shot pretty hot.

I used Fed 215 primers in the 7RM loads noted above.

DF

Edited to add, I got the 67.5 gr. RL-26 load for the 7RM and 160 NAB's here on the Fire, didn't work it up myself.

IIRC, it was Dogshooter who posted it.

Research here on the Fire has saved me a lot of barrel life, time and component expense over the years.

My 338-06 loads are now mostly with H-380, thanks to Seafire and gunner500. That gun also likes Varget, but I'm gonna use my H-380, save the Varget for other rounds, as both powders work equally well in the 338-06.

Now, where else you gonna get such good, proven info...?

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/19/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

And with the 257R. I loaded RL-26 with 120's. Didn't burn clean, had enough residue in the chamber that I couldn't load the next round. After shaking out the residue, next round chambered OK.

With the above 7RM/160 NAB load, it was half inch at a hundred, 3" at 400, about as accurate as that rifle can shoot.

I agree RL-23 is more flexible regarding application in a larger selection of rounds. But, when you find the right combo with RL-26, you've got a performer.

DF

I should have included the 7mmRM in the biggest beneficiaries short list.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
RL26 works fine in my .300 Weatherby. Isn’t RL26 advertised to be temperature stable?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WAM
RL26 works fine in my .300 Weatherby. Isn’t RL26 advertised to be temperature stable?

I don't know if temp stability is an advertising point for RL-26. From what I can gather, it's a mixed bag, application specific. I've read the manufacturer is trying to make it more temp stable. So, if there is a need, or perceived need, to make it better, one can assume it's not quite there.

It's not as temp stable as RL-23 and others, but reportedly better than some. To me, it's not an issue from 60* to 0*, more of an issue from 60* to 100*. I haven't used it enough across such a temp spectrum to say, going with what I've read.

Others may want to chime in.

DF

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
W
Originally Posted by WAM

I don't know if temp stability is an advertising point for RL-26. From what I can gather, it's a mixed bag, application specific. I've read the manufacturer is trying to make it more temp stable. So, if there is a need, or perceived need, to make it better, one can assume it's not quite there.

It's not as temp stable as RL-23 and others, but reportedly better than some. To me, it's not an issue from 60* to 0*, more of an issue from 60* to 100*. I haven't used it enough across such a temp spectrum to say, going with what I've read.

Others may want to chime in.

DF

Thanks for that. I use it in my elk rifle pushing 168 gr TTSX at 3,300 fps from a 26” barrel. I work up my loads at 40-50F and it’s typically 10 to 50F when I elk hunt, so probably not an issue for me. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/11/reloder-23-and-reloder-26-good-for-magnum-cartridges/

Do you shoot a magnum cartridge? Here are two modern-formulation powders you may want to try: Reloder 23 and 26. We have been particularly impressed with Reloder 23. It has worked well in competition for target cartridges such as the 7mm RSAUM. Reloder 23 is like a slower version of Reloder 16 — a very temp-stable powder which has proven a worthy rival to H4350.

Ever heard of Alliant Reloder 23? Or Reloder 26? These two relatively new European-produced Reloder propellants were introduced in 2014. Most folks haven’t tried these Reloder powders because it took quite a while for the first shipments of RL 23 and RL 26 to arrive in the USA. But now these two new propellants are available in the USA, with substantial inventories in stock at some larger vendors. For example, Powder Valley has both RL 23 and RL 26 in stock now at $23.50 per pound. Many other vendors have ample RL 23, but RL 26 is a bit harder to find.

From our Forum members who shoot large magnum cartridge types with heavy bullets, we have heard good things about both RL 23 and RL 26. Reports from the field indicate that both these powders are delivering impressive velocities with low velocity ES/SD.

What are the characteristics of RL 23 and RL 26? That question was answered by Paul Furrier who works for ATK, the parent company of Alliant Powders. Posting in our Shooters’ Forum, Paul writes:

“Let me provide some factual info about these products. Some of the stuff that gets propagated is not correct. Reloder 23 is produced by our Swedish partner Bofors, and Reloder 26 is produced in Switzerland by our extremely capable partner Nitrochemie. I have seen it stated that they are both made by Bofors, so that is incorrect.

I have also noticed people are equating Reloder 23 to Reloder 22, and Reloder 26 to Reloder 25. Both of those statements are definitely incorrect. We do state that the performance of Reloder 23 is similar to Reloder 22, and it is, in general burn speed terms, but they are most certainly not the same. We have worked quite a lot of recipes for Reloder 23, and they are not the same as Reloder 22. Reloder 26 is definitely slower burning than Reloder 25, so there shouldn’t be any confusion there either.”

Furrier says that RL 23 is NOT sensitive to temperature shifts: “Reloder 23 was developed to bring a truly temp-stable powder to the Reloder 22 burn-speed range using Bofors new process technology. This is the second product developed for us with this TZ® process, the first being AR-Comp™. We see terrific efficiencies, SDs, accuracy and flat temp response from these powders. Please try them, I think you will be impressed.”

Speed and More Speed with RL 26
Think of Reloder 26 as a high-velocity powder for big cartridges. Furrier explains: “Reloder 26 is produced with Nitrochemie’s latest generation EI® process technology. This is the same impregnation coating process used to produce Reloder 17, Reloder 33, and Reloder 50 for us, and it is fantastic. The “so what” on Reloder 26 is great ballistic efficiency, high bulk density so you can get more of the slow powder into the case to harness the energy, and decent, predictable extreme temp response. Reloder 26 is not as flat at temps as the TZ or Australian materials, but it is very manageable, usually in the 0.5 fps/°F range (depending on the application). Just as important, the pressure increases at hot are very manageable. We are using quite a bit of this powder in our Federal factory ammo due to the fantastic ballistics and accuracy.

Both of these new Reloder powders contain decoppering agent to help reduce coppering up your barrels, but this is nothing new for us. Bofors began adding decoppering agent to our Reloder rifle powders in the 2002 timeframe, and all our Swiss Reloders except 17 contain their proprietary additive. (We may include it in 17 at some point also, but right now we like it just the way it is.) Sorry we didn’t have a snappy name figured for the decoppering agents, we just did it.

Both of these new Reloder powders are also produced to the current highest level of ‘green’ technology. Actually, all of our Alliant rifle, pistol and shotshell reloading powders meet the current (tough) European requirements for elimination of nasty ingredients. They do not contain any dinitrotoluene or dibutylphthalate, which are a couple of the nasties that are commonly used in smokeless powders.
Thank you for your interest in our new powders.” — Paul Furrier, ATK

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 23 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.