Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I agree with roundoak. And Mule deer...gutless is cool but I would rather keep meat on bone at least overnight and preferably at least 24 hours

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few general comments:

It takes me less than a minute to saw through one side of the pelvis, then lift the tail and break it wide open. In fact, have been timed doing the complete gut-job from throat to split pelvis and everything out in 2-3 minutes, just because my wife was curious, after having seen me do quite a few animals.

While the gutless method sure saves weight, it also can result in tough meat, because of contraction of the major muscle groups if they're separated from the bone while warm. Which is why we prefer either taking most of the carcass out, field-dressed, or at most taking off the hindquarters off at the hip joint, slicing off the shoulders whole, etc, if we have to break one down.

The worst thing you can do is slice the meat from the bone while the muscles are still in rigor mortis. Yet have seen numerous hunters do that with the "filets" under the rear spine, as soon as they get the deer back to camp--and then slice them thin and fry them too much, resulting in VERY tough meat.

But the main point is that it depends on the specific animal (they are not standard products, like 2-year-old cornfed steers), plus temperature, state of rigor mortis, aging etc.

Most all the elk we kill are not in a spot anyone wants to carry bone. The elk immediately get boned out, bagged up and hung as the pack out begins.

That said big bulls or raghorns we have never had a tough one.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I shot a doe in warm weather and worried it would rot hanging outside. I didn’t have a refrigerator I could have used to breakdown the animal before butchering. The retired butcher who offered to cut up my deer told me to leave the meat open 24 hours in the refrigerator before wrapping and freezing. Something about gases building up and if I wrapped it warm it would sour the taste. That doe was butchered within a couple hours of me killing it and tasted great.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Field dress? Just throw them on the back of the cart, transfer to back of truck, drive straight to processor. Kind of sucks when I get blood on my boots or pants though... but

Yeah, that and wiping your ass are skills your pa never taught you. 😛😎

Oh I know how to do it. Just choose not to. I used to butcher my own deer when I was in school and would like to again just simply don’t have the time to do it properly

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GRF,

The scientific term for what can sometimes toughen boned meat is "shortening," because the muscle cells actually contract when disconnected from the bones. This can also happen even when left on the bone, if the meat cools down too quickly, especially when it goes from warm to freezing in a few hours, which these days is called "thaw shortening." I had this happen to an eating-size mule deer buck here in Montana one Thanksgiving. We hung the field-dressed carcass on a corral gate to cool overnight, and the temperature dropped below zero. The toughest deer I've ever taken! Even hanging the carcass for several days after it thawed didn't tenderize the meat much.

The warm-meat problem is due to rigor mortis, which is also essentially a muscle contraction. If the muscles start to go into rigor before the boning occurs, then the meat can toughen due to the contraction. Oddly enough, this is more likely to happen in warmer weather--which is when many hunters bone out animals, to "cool 'em down." Warm temperatures accelerate the chemical process of rigor, while cooler temperatures slow it down.

The other factor, of course, is the tenderness of the individual animal. Wild animals are not a consistent "product," like domestic meat sold in stores. They vary considerably in age and condition, and younger animals have less of what is called "organized collagen," the protein fiber that makes meat tougher--which is broken down during the chemical process of "hanging" game. Some species develop relatively little organized collagen even as they grow older, such as pronghorns, so "shortening" doesn't affect their meat as much. In fact we've boned out quite a few freshly-killed antelope with no problems.

Other animals can be affected when boned out, depending on their age and how far rigor mortis has progressed. It's better to bone them before rigor even starts, or after it has dissipated--which normally takes at least a day, though again, temperature affects the chemical process.

As a matter of fact, we've been timing the rigor-mortis process with a mule deer doe I took last week, because my wife Eileen writes game cookbooks for most of her living, and wanted to get some precise results. So we put a thermometer out in the garage, and checked the doe (an older, bigger one) periodically, starting two hours after it was killed. Eileen will probably write it up for our on-line magazine, RIFLE LOONY NEWS. We'll probably take one or two more deer this season, and will repeat the "experiment" on them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

We've started doing gutless, did so on 4 antelope, one whitetail was gutted and dragged, once home skinned and taken apart (NOT boned).

In all 5 animals they then went into a cooler with frozen bottles of water, which where rotated about every 24 hours to keep frozen jugs in there. meat never froze, but stayed nice and chilled.

the ONLY tough piece we've had is one set of tenderloins, which were removed as soon as we got it home (the deer) and eaten that night. The rest have ALL been some of the most tender meat we've had. This included tenderloins removed in the field and put in the fridge for a few days.

We've concluded from this (this process is VERY different than past years where we had a MAX of 24 hours til they hit the freezer), that this several days in a cooler , but on the bone (well backstraps, tenderloins and other scrap not on the bone) is this is results in much more tender meat.

On bone/off bone doesn't really matter, age it at a fairly steady temp just above freezing. We've been doing 4-5 days.

I have read that once it freezes, forget it, the aging after freezing is useless.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago when were spitting the spine with two axes or a saw, the backstraps were the most tender part of an elk.Now with the gutless method, the backstrap gets stripped out at the time of field dressing and it has usually turned into the toughest part of the animal, unless I age it in a walk in cooler for two weeks at bout 38 degrees

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was a little worried about the bull I shot a couple weeks ago in CO. He was the stinkingest elk I’ve ever had the pleasure of dressing, smelled like pee badly. We peeled his hide approximately an hour after he hit the deck and gutless quartered him. We sacked all the quarters and loose meat in cotton game bags and hung it on the meat pole. It hung for 7 days in camp, teens to twenties at night and 40’s to 60 during the day but always in the shade. When we got home I put it all in an old CocaCola refrigerator we kept when Dad got out of the store business for another 5 days until I had it all processed.

Thankfully it has been outstanding. No smell or gaminess and the steaks cut from the back straps are fork tender.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John; thank you so very much for your detailed and informative answer.
GRF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here's a local guy that can clean a deer in under 2 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXJ5hUeFYk#action=share

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gutless and straight into a pack due to the nature of the hunting I do here. Depending on the distance/time/weather the meat may come off the bones or not. I've never noticed a difference in taste....granted I'm not very picky nor are my ravenous kids.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y’all wouldn’t believe how many yups haul their whole deer into processors in the Texas heat around here. SUV’s, cars, etc, with tailgaters. Then bitch about how venison is “gamey”. Makes me sick.

Mine hit the ground, then into the cooler within an hour.

Last edited by techfish; 11/23/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On deer I ream around the anus and tie off the gut. Then open the skin and mussel from the bottom of the sternum to the pelvis. Then split the sternum, cut the windpipe, cut the diaphragm, and remove all the innards at once.

There is a problem with old dogs and new tricks, but this works for me.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Youper
On deer I ream around the anus

I played this game as a yunkster. 'Ream around the Rosie'..... pocket fulla posie....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rosie Palm?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Youper
On deer I ream around the anus and tie off the gut. Then open the skin and mussel from the bottom of the sternum to the pelvis. Then split the sternum, cut the windpipe, cut the diaphragm, and remove all the innards at once.

There is a problem with old dogs and new tricks, but this works for me.

Other than splitting the sternum, when I field dress, that's it exactly! Takes about 10 minutes and sticking my arm up past the diaphram.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.