Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
I had a Garmin old etrex unit that I left batteries in over the season and they leached out and screwed up the unit. I am trying to narrow down my search and have settled between the Garmin GPSMAP 64sx and the eTrex 32x. I have an "ok" idea of the area where I hunt, but want this to pinpoint hunting stands and get me out if I go too deep in the woods and don't recognize my way out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I am not sure what phone you have, but many smartphones offer really good GPS apps that have taken the place of a stand-alone gps unit. Some good apps are basemap, Gaia GPS and OnX Maps

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My son is a professional forester, uses mapping gps every day at work...uses a plain old Samsung phone with real gps (not cell tower location) and Avenza Pro mapping. Gave up on dedicated gps units years ago.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64st. It does everything the OP asked about.

Sam......

J
OP Offline
J
I don't have cell service where I hunt in the mountains in Central PA, so that is why there is a need for the GPS.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My only tip is to wait until February and buy one at ebay. February is "pay the Christmas bills" month and lots of hardly-used hunting stuff gets sold.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
With OnX you can save maps to use on your smartphone when your off cellular. That being said the Garmin 64st works good and there on sale in a few places I believe. I use both the phone and Garmin with a chip.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the Garmin 64 and also the Garmin Montana. If you'd like a touch screen consider the Montana. Also, it's a bigger screen so if you have trouble seeing up close like I do it's an improvement over the 64. Does go through batteries faster though. If you like to make notes with your waypoints the touch screen allows you to do that much quicker. The Montana is more money, so that might also factor into your decision.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JohnnyOats
I don't have cell service where I hunt in the mountains in Central PA, so that is why there is a need for the GPS.

I'm not sure about other apps like Onyx or others but I use Backcountry navigator on my Samsung. Doesn't matter if I have cell service or not, links right up with a satellite. I did pay the one time fee of 9.99 years ago for the Backcountry App but I'm sure there are a whole lot of free ones out there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve switched over to my phone with OnX.

Yup.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
iPhone with Avenza app. Download maps for free including USFS MVUM's and quads, plenty of other choices. I would never go back to a standalone GPS. Everything about the phone is better. I like and use OnX for places where cell service is available.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Seems like these threads pop up quite often with the misconception that you need cell service for OnX maps. You do NOT need cell service. In fact, I put my phone in airplane mode. Been doing it for years. I have a Garmin Oregon and never use it, it is obsolete compared to OnX on your phone.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Oat, I have a Garmin Oregon that should do what you want.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Suggestion, berretaman: Put your Oregon in a box and send it to him.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have a Garmin 64??? I would not bother spending 250 bucks on it again. here is why, the screen is a lousy 1.25x2"??? Cant see it very well at all. It does work however finding my deer stands. it also burns batteries . I use the best rechargeable . They last a while but always have to change them out every few times out, and no, I will not buy lithium AA's for 4 bucks a piece. I will go with my phone next time and wish i would have gone that route and saved the 250 bucks.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mr Johnny Oat, Pay attention, step one...select a smartphone (you may have one already) that has REAL GPS imbedded it does NOT need a cell signal to operate.

step two...load Avenza or any mapping app

step three...use it.
Why, you ask? Better battery. Powerful fast operating system. Better screen graphics. Flexibility to send information to printer or another computer when you
do have a cell signal.
Google gps smartphones...they list brands and models that have real gps instead of just cell tower triangulation (for city folks)

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of the Garmin 64's will give you the most GPS for the money. They have several versions but at the end of the day do the same. If you want touch screen the Garmin Oregon is the way to go. Phones suck. Even the best ones will drain the battery in 2-3 hours and unless you have some way to recharge you are stuck with a non working phone and GPS. Fresh AA batteries in my GPS will last 10-12 hours and I can easily carry a few more.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Garmin Oregon and a new Montana. Both are hard on batteries. The Oregon screen is too small, and the Montanna has a better screen but it is big and bulky. I usually carry the Oregon because it is smaller. Not thrilled with either one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JohnnyOats

I have been going out west to Idaho and Colorado where there is no phone signal at all. I use Gaia GPS on my iphone. Down load the map before going and your good to go. Keep a charger pack with you for back-up power. Why would I want to carry an additional item? Plus a phone gives a bigger screen than any GPS I ever seen.

Todays cell phones do not need a signal to use their built-in GPS antenna.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I own a Garmin GPSMAP 64sx. Don't buy one.

Buy onX or GAIA for your smart phone.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.