Print Thread
Hop To
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I am a lefty so on the cheep I got a 22-250 with the 26 in bull barrel (the only option for LH ) .I want a 24 in sporter barrel twist is not a concern .A smith told me to get a take off barrel and usually they do not need are do for head space and he could do the swap . Is this likely that the take off would be fine without having to re headspace it ? Opinions please

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Likely... Yes.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Mtn that is encouraging .It might be possible to get this done for about $175 or less .This rifle is a beast to carry (I knew that before I bought it ). Strange to say but I like the feel of the stock ,most chatter is they are junk .I am not sure how to handle the huge barrel channel once I get a sporter barrel .Thanks boomer .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a gunsmith tell me that most of the time the headspace will be within acceptable limits, but the logos and stamps on the barrel won't be timed correctly. Of those that were too long, he thinned the recoil lug.
I took off a 243 barrel and installed a 308 barrel. It would just close on a no go gauge. I disassembled it and thinned the recoil lug until it would just close on the go gauge. It is accurate and has worked well for redneck gunsmithing.
The only problem will be if it won't close on a go gauge. Then the chamber would have to be reamed.

TANSTAAFL
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by verns
Mtn that is encouraging .It might be possible to get this done for about $175 or less .This rifle is a beast to carry (I knew that before I bought it ). Strange to say but I like the feel of the stock ,most chatter is they are junk .I am not sure how to handle the huge barrel channel once I get a sporter barrel .Thanks boomer .

pleeeease get a different stock, haha. makes me wince thinking about a sporter contour in that already-ugly sps varmint stock

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B2

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Crowkiller tha is encouraging ! I am not really too concerned over some of the cosmetic issues that keep some of us gun folks awake at night .n8dawg ,yes it will be two wagon ruts for sure !Maybe some bedding filler material until I get another winning lottery ticket ! Thanks to both of you .

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
I had the take off barrel put on by a smith ! Headspaced great ! Text 180 degrees off and up side down . I now have a rifle I can carry and I do like the feel of it . Will give range report soon .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good stuff
A bit of black silicone down each side of the barrel will tidy things up nicely

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I had a gunsmith tell me that most of the time the headspace will be within acceptable limits, but the logos and stamps on the barrel won't be timed correctly. Of those that were too long, he thinned the recoil lug.
I took off a 243 barrel and installed a 308 barrel. It would just close on a no go gauge. I disassembled it and thinned the recoil lug until it would just close on the go gauge. It is accurate and has worked well for redneck gunsmithing.
The only problem will be if it won't close on a go gauge. Then the chamber would have to be reamed.

Can one not find a thicker recoil lug?

I purchased a barrel vise, and an action wrench along with head space gauges in 308 from Midway. So far this winter I have pulled the barrels from a model seven, and a 700 ADL. The seven got the 243 barrel from the ADL. The ADL got a SS 7-08 take off barrel I had purchased. The roll marks came out in the correct position, and both barrels check out okay for headspace.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Crowkiller tha is encouraging ! I am not really too concerned over some of the cosmetic issues that keep some of us gun folks awake at night .n8dawg ,yes it will be two wagon ruts for sure !Maybe some bedding filler material until I get another winning lottery ticket ! Thanks to both of you .

Vern could you live with the rifle in an ADL configuration?

I have a brand new factory SA ADL synthetic stock from a 24 inch 243 I could sell cheap. $40 plus postage.

And since I just finished turning the ADL into a Walnut BDL, I could also turn loose of the second stock which is a beat up and bedded wood SA ADL stock. $20 plus postage.

IC B3

V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Castle Rock ,I had not thought of silicone and that is a great idea ! Idaho ,are the stocks LH ?If so I might be interested .I am very excited about this Gubered up custom rifle ! As you can tell I am not hard to please on the cosmetics ! I have another SPS Varmint LH in 223 which I will probably do something with . The take off barrels are fairly reasonable if you can live with the slower twist as most are being replaced with custom fast twist barrels .Thanks to you both for your input .Vern

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don’t know if you have worked with silicone much, but have a look at this way of finishing it, and use release agent on the barrel so it can still be removed from the stock

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Castle Rock ,I had not thought of silicone and that is a great idea ! Idaho ,are the stocks LH ?If so I might be interested .I am very excited about this Gubered up custom rifle ! As you can tell I am not hard to please on the cosmetics ! I have another SPS Varmint LH in 223 which I will probably do something with . The take off barrels are fairly reasonable if you can live with the slower twist as most are being replaced with custom fast twist barrels .Thanks to you both for your input .Vern

No Sorry, I missed the reference to left hand. I really wished I could help you out, and reduce the clutter in my gun room a bit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (257 mag, 308ld, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 300jimmy, 24 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,166
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.