Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've eaten woodchucks, raccoons, red squirrels, muskrats, beavers and pigeons. Probably a few I don't remember now too.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Deep fried rattlesnake is pretty good !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Raccoon is the only varminty thing I have eaten.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've eaten groundhog and coyote. Both were good, but like anything else, it depends on how it is cooked.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Iam from West Virginia ,I grew up eating groundhogs and raccoons ,good eating

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Raccoon, possum, and rattle snake but not a steady diet of them.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Noah Smithwick 1836 Texas. Stated one of the fellers in their ranging company kilt and skint a coon for his breakfast. He let it hang overnight as "everyone knows if you hang a coon overnight is makes it more palatable the next day." It was cool enough so his confederate decided to hang it.

Next morning he discovered his coon had been coon-knapped! As one of the other blackguards in the company stole his coon, cooked and ate it gone for his breakfast!!!! Much to the hilarity of the ranging company

The End

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have eaten beaver (cue the jokes). It was pretty good. I haven't tried it yet but I have heard that porcupine is good. The worst thing that I have tried was lake trout. I had heard that they were not great to eat but I gave it a try. I was surprised to find it inedible.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One englishman, Henry Blake, hired onto a dairy not too far west of Fort Union NM in the late 1850’s. So he got a job with a trading caravan going to Santa Fe on the old Santa Fe Trail. Along the way they shot and ate a prairie dog that he stated was pretty delicious.
A few days later he shot "a nice fat" prairie dog for their evening meal. As he skinned it he described how nice a fat and delicious the animal looked. So he cut off a piece of raw fat for a treat and popped it in his mouth.

He went on to explain that it was by far the most vilest thing he had ever put into his mouth and it was days before he could get the taste out of his mouth!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/19/19.

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I tried a young groundhog. Was cooked in a crockpot on low for I think at least 12 hrs. When we pulled it out, the meat just fell off the bone. Good and tender, and smothered in bbq sauce, and served with new potatoes. The meat fibers reminded me of a really tender roast.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Theeck
I have eaten beaver (cue the jokes). It was pretty good. I haven't tried it yet but I have heard that porcupine is good. The worst thing that I have tried was lake trout. I had heard that they were not great to eat but I gave it a try. I was surprised to find it inedible.

Funny, I have eaten quite a bit of lake trout and find it delicious!! We are picky about trimming away the dark meat. We used to go to Lake Ontario each year for salmon and lake trout, and we would get quite a bit of fish that way!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I tried coon, beaver, rattlesnake, pidgeon, redheaded woodpecker, blackbirds, robins, and probably other birds. Coon and beaver are very good if you know how to cook them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've had raccoon bar-b-q. It was edible but nothing to brag about.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have eaten coon. It was strong and gamey. I don't care for it.
Couple of months ago I caught a big snapping turtle crossing a pasture and cleaned it and boned out the meat. I took it to work and one of my Cajun coworkers cooked it in a brown gravy. It was very good.
I really like squirrels.
Alligator is a little fishey tasting for my taste.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ol’ Zip Coon

Second verse

"Now ol’ Sookie Blue-skin she’s in lub wid me
I go de odder afternoon to share a dish o’ tea
And what do you tink ol’ Sookie had for supper?
Chicken-foot and possum-heel widout any butter!!!"

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have eaten coon. It was strong and gamey. I don't care for it.
Couple of months ago I caught a big snapping turtle crossing a pasture and cleaned it and boned out the meat. I took it to work and one of my Cajun coworkers cooked it in a brown gravy. It was very good.
I really like squirrels.
Alligator is a little fishey tasting for my taste.

We used to gumbo them big snappers! Goot eats!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh lard. You want the list? Besides the usual North American game animals like duck, goose, rabbit, squirrel, deer, elk, moose, and antelope...

Raccoon, possum, groundhog, African lion, hippo, snake, lizard, alligator, jungle rat, monkey, Asian deer, water buffalo, dog, and a trawler load of sea critters, both raw and cooked.

And there are probably a few more that I've temporarily forgotten. I always wanted to try prairie dog, but never shot one that wasn't completely shredded. Having smelled a coyote, you could not pay me to try one. The possum was a one-timer; it was poorly prepared and so greasy it was inedible. Some, like raccoon and groundhog, have glands that MUST be removed unbroken or the meat is ruined.

Edit: Yup, forgot turtle, pigeon, bear, pheasant, chukar, all three kinds of grouse, and (don't tell anyone) robins.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 11/19/19.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a friend who eats crows. He cuts the breast meat up into chunks and fries it. It looks like good, clean, red meat, but I just can't make myself go there. Anyone ever tried them?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
4winds: Indeed I have eaten Rock Chuck, Porcupine, Cougar and wild Beaver.
And as an aside when I was a young man I had a new neighbor that was an Arkansas native. He wanted me to keep some of the large Carp I was bow Hunting out of Lake Sammamish out in Washington state, for him to eat!
I did so and he kept urging me to eat some with him.
Finally I did and by golly that fresh water Carp tasted pretty good!
I had heard all my life that Carp were not fit to eat.
I don't know what he brined and battered those Carp in but they tasted pretty good to me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not exactly game, but have eaten chicken feet! Was not too bad. When I was 18 or 20, a group of 8 or 10 of us would go pigeon shooting. ! guy runs in the barn, others lined up outside. Learned pretty quickly that if you don't aim at a particular bird, you will miss. We would strip the breasts off, skin them, pound them with a meat hammer (good way to get rid of BB's) roll them in flour and fry them in butter. They were really good!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
129 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.