-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For really cold sits, I start with antiperspirant on my feet, sock liners, wool socks, and an old pair of Sorel Mavericks that are laced pretty loose.

My feet sweat. Without antiperspirant, nothing really seemed to help. Especially if I was walking a ways to the stand.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Antiperspirant spray on your feet, follwed by injinji merino wool toe liner socks followed by wool sock of your choice. Revolutionary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Smart Wool.
I was in this camp until I tried some Darn Tough Hunter socks. Taller and very warm. New favorites.

An out of the box to heavier boots are teh NEOS insulated overboots. I hunted Saturday in tennis shoes strapped into the NEOS. Temps in the 20's and toasty feet. One thing I like about these over some other over boots is that they are easy to walk in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best foot warmer

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In a stand I will take off my boots and wear down booties, if really cold I will put a chemical warmer by my toes. I also bring a blanket or overalls that have full side zips and put these over my regular pants. Insulated boots don't have much insulation in the foot and the sole acts like a heat sink. I add felt insoles under the foam factory ones and it helps a lot. I usually go up one size for winter boots to do this. Mouse boots will keep your feet warm to about as cold as you would want to hunt in, but they are not great for walking and I get that swamp foot feeling if hiking much. A change of socks helps with this.

The warmest socks I have tried are hand knit Alpaca, these and a liner are really good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a buddy tell me once that air was a great insulator (he is a contractor). So now when I buy heavy boots, I make sure I am up a size or two so they are not tight at all.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I run cold with poor circulation in my extremities. A Dr. told me to try taking L-Arginine and if I take it regularly it does seem to improve circulation and cold tolerance. Not sure about the additional supplements in this brand but shouldn't hurt anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Havasu-Nutri...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
IMO, Tight boots = cold feet.. I live in SC so we are not known for COLD weather but we do get some cold weather occasionally during season. Low twenties, some teens at times. I bought a pair of Artic Shield boot covers and tey work well for me. You must put them on before your feet start getting cold tho. I also take a piece of duck tape and tape a "Hot Hands" on the top of my boots at the toes and then put the covers on. It works really well!! YMMV

Last edited by Highoctane; 11/21/19.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Boots with Thinsulate, 800-1000 grams and wool socks. I have some Nikkon socks that reflect heat back to your body, they have gloves too, good stuff.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
https://www.amazon.com/River-Wick-A...mp;psc=1&refRID=R7ETPEE41DQ17B0NP6F9

OK Buy a couple of pairs of these... then, put Smartwool socks over them. I use this set up in Winter to keep warm and in Summer to not sweat. Thank me later... Seriously!!!!! Best money you will spend lately. I'll make you a deal... if they don't work as advertised, I'll pay for them.

Thanks for the info. Just ordered 2 pairs and hoping they are as good as you say!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Also remember if you are wearing a sock liner that has a seam that runs across the forefoot/toes and it bothers you, simply turn the sock liner inside out and wear it so the seam doesn't strike over the forefoot/toes for comfort.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.