Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Maybe add some carbide saw teeth on the spine of the bayonet?

Damn, this is going to get expensive.

😎

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka T3X Superlite in .308 Win. and a couple of 5 round magazines. Shoot some 165-168 grain high BC bullets and enjoy an accurate rifle with a proven round that gives very long barrel life.

The T3 Arctic in .308 is the new Rifle the Canadian Rangers selected. It is cool looking and looks like rifle built to last.

An older Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" in 30-06 would be a good choice also. Heck, get one of each.

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Caliber wise I believe I am going to go with a .30-06 with a Leupold 2.5x8. Basic. This handles black bear and deer, with reasonable length shots. Was really thinking hard about a .300WM ( a favorite) but that's significantly more weight there to be lugging up a mountain somewhere after the deer. (Bears, per my research, will be lower down in early September, and the deer will be high up). Don't want to go lighter caliber-wise, to leave plenty of margin of error on the bears. I have more than one to pick from so one happy project over the next few months will be wringing the options out.

Thanks for your help guys!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My Stainless synthetic Sako in .308 has worked well for me up there. I shoot 150TTSX and 168TSX and haven’t missed or needed to track which can be complicated by monsoon rains in the rainforest. 😉. I like exit holes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Slightly off topic- is there a time in POW island where you can hunt deer and bear at the same time AND fish for salmon? I thought I looked at the regs a while back and the seasons were separated a bit. If you could do all 3 at the same time, sounds like a good way for me to use a few weeks of vacation!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am unsure about the salmon fishing part, but to hunt deer and bear on POW island at the same time you'll need to be drawn for the fall bear permit, which is a fairly tough permit to get.

The spring hunt is much easier to draw, but deer isn't in season then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fall. Salmon can be had in the streams pretty far into the fall.

Yup.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stainless, Mc Mickey stock, 23" barrel with blue tape over the hole, and a Leupie M-6. Who cares what caliber as long as you run Barnes thru the aforementioned "hole."

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
338-06 worked for my brown bear so it should be as good for your animals. I use the 160 ttsx for deer and the 250 partition on brownie.

Enjoy!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can’t see why you would need more than a 30-06 for black bear and small deer. Dang any standard deer caliber should work fine. There are no brown bear on POW correct?? So why all the talk of big calibers?? Never been there so maybe I’m missing something, but don’t see why you need a 300 or 338 to kill black bears. Sounds like lots of wet weather and thick stuff. Something stainless/synthetic and shorter barrel ?! Only killed one black bear that weighed 425lbs with a bow so not an expert or anything. I’d take my model 7 243 to be honest. Light, short, and stainless.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by muygrande1
338-06 worked for my brown bear so it should be as good for your animals. I use the 160 ttsx for deer and the 250 partition on brownie.

Enjoy!

Speed from the 160s?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I can’t see why you would need more than a 30-06 for black bear and small deer. Dang any standard deer caliber should work fine. There are no brown bear on POW correct?? So why all the talk of big calibers?? Never been there so maybe I’m missing something, but don’t see why you need a 300 or 338 to kill black bears. Sounds like lots of wet weather and thick stuff. Something stainless/synthetic and shorter barrel ?! Only killed one black bear that weighed 425lbs with a bow so not an expert or anything. I’d take my model 7 243 to be honest. Light, short, and stainless.

Might be onto something. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A Sako Forrestor in 243 was my Afognak rifle for years, I wiped it down with a silicon cloth every night and it killed deer just as quick as the bigger calibers I carried while guiding on Kodiak. Sadly I loaned it to a buddies wife for a Kodiak hunt and when she returned it she also left with it,,after a fashion!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by waterrat
A Sako Forrestor in 243 was my Afognak rifle for years, I wiped it down with a silicon cloth every night and it killed deer just as quick as the bigger calibers I carried while guiding on Kodiak. Sadly I loaned it to a buddies wife for a Kodiak hunt and when she returned it she also left with it,,after a fashion!

There could be some complexities unwrinkling that fabric...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VernAK
They all go POW!......How many decibels ya looking for?

That made me LOL smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by waterrat

There could be some complexities unwrinkling that fabric...

Where's Paul Harvey when we need him?

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
One that you lay in the water for pictures.

best reply yet...
But, don't forget bright yellow or orange tape on scope caps and some lame moniker in silver sharpie

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Friends:

I'm GTG with the .30-06. Ruger MK II Stainless, CRF. It has a 2 1/2x8 on there now, but now the decision is whether to go with a higher top end on the scope like a 3 1/2x10. All Leopold's, they have earned my business over decades. I'm seeing you tube videos of longer shots up in the alpine area and thinking mebbe it would be smart to go with something more powerful scope-wise.

On the deer I expect to use 150's, with 180-200 grainers on the black bears. At this point its all factory: blue box Federals or Green and Yellows.

And no, absolutely no plans to lay it in the water, The only tape on it will be a swatch of electrical tape over the muzzle.

Thanks for the input so far!!!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d recommend 168ttsx
3.5-10 with CDS for easy dial job.
But, I’m bias because that’s my set up .

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Friends:

I'm GTG with the .30-06. Ruger MK II Stainless, CRF. It has a 2 1/2x8 on there now, but now the decision is whether to go with a higher top end on the scope like a 3 1/2x10. All Leopold's, they have earned my business over decades. I'm seeing you tube videos of longer shots up in the alpine area and thinking mebbe it would be smart to go with something more powerful scope-wise.

On the deer I expect to use 150's, with 180-200 grainers on the black bears. At this point its all factory: blue box Federals or Green and Yellows.

And no, absolutely no plans to lay it in the water, The only tape on it will be a swatch of electrical tape over the muzzle.

Thanks for the input so far!!!

That must be blue.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.