Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We told our kids they have to leave town to date. I think we are related to too many people they go to school with for any long term plans.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When poor folks do it, it's incest, when royalty does it, it's creating an heir to the throne.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Breeding with a 1st cousin does not increase the chances of genetic disorders all that much.

Every year an estimated 8 million children--6
percent of total births worldwide--are born with a serious birth defect of genetic or partially genetic origin. Additionally, hundreds of thousands more are born with serious birth defects of post- conception origin due to maternal exposure to environmental agents. At least 3.3 million children less than 5 years of age die annually because of serious birth defects and the majority of those who survive may be mentally and physically disabled for life.
This report from the March of Dimes is the first to provide a global estimate of serious birth defects of genetic or partly genetic origin. It details the birth prevalence rates and the numbers of affected births in 193 countries.

According to a global report on birth defects
which was conducted in 2006, 21 out of 22 countries most affected by birth defects per 1000 live births are Muslim majority countries and the following
countries are the ones most affect by birth
defects per 1000 live births:
1. Sudan 82.0/1000
2. Saudi Arabia 81.3/1000
3. Benin 77.9/1009
4. Burkina Faso 77.0/1000
5. Palestinian territories 76.6/1000
6. United Arab Emirates 75.9/1000
7. Tajikistan 75.2/1000
8. Iraq 74.9/1000
9. Kuwait 74.9/1000
10. Afghanistan 74.8/1000
11. Oman 74.8/1000
12. Syria 74.3/1000
13. Pakistan 73.5/1000
14. Nigeria 73.5/1000
15. Kyrgyzstan 73.4/1000
16. Qatar 73.4/1000
17. Bahrain 73.3/1000
18. Jordan 73.1/1000
19. Libya 73.0/1000
20. Tunisia 72.7/1000
21. Morocco 72.3/1000
22. Yemen 72.1/1000

Inbreeding which involves marriage between cousins is an islamically valid and approved practice.
Inbreeding is a major cause of birth defects in children so its very likely that the whole cousin marriage thing has a huge role to play in recorded high rates of birth defects in Muslim countries.

I think it shows up in Amish communities also.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by reivertom
When poor folks do it, it's incest, when royalty does it, it's creating an heir to the throne.

As with expensive cattle, it's called "Line breeding".

With mutts and such, it's "inbreeding"...

DF

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Breeding with a 1st cousin does not increase the chances of genetic disorders all that much.

Every year an estimated 8 million children--6
percent of total births worldwide--are born with a serious birth defect of genetic or partially genetic origin. Additionally, hundreds of thousands more are born with serious birth defects of post- conception origin due to maternal exposure to environmental agents. At least 3.3 million children less than 5 years of age die annually because of serious birth defects and the majority of those who survive may be mentally and physically disabled for life.
This report from the March of Dimes is the first to provide a global estimate of serious birth defects of genetic or partly genetic origin. It details the birth prevalence rates and the numbers of affected births in 193 countries.

According to a global report on birth defects
which was conducted in 2006, 21 out of 22 countries most affected by birth defects per 1000 live births are Muslim majority countries and the following
countries are the ones most affect by birth
defects per 1000 live births:
1. Sudan 82.0/1000
2. Saudi Arabia 81.3/1000
3. Benin 77.9/1009
4. Burkina Faso 77.0/1000
5. Palestinian territories 76.6/1000
6. United Arab Emirates 75.9/1000
7. Tajikistan 75.2/1000
8. Iraq 74.9/1000
9. Kuwait 74.9/1000
10. Afghanistan 74.8/1000
11. Oman 74.8/1000
12. Syria 74.3/1000
13. Pakistan 73.5/1000
14. Nigeria 73.5/1000
15. Kyrgyzstan 73.4/1000
16. Qatar 73.4/1000
17. Bahrain 73.3/1000
18. Jordan 73.1/1000
19. Libya 73.0/1000
20. Tunisia 72.7/1000
21. Morocco 72.3/1000
22. Yemen 72.1/1000

Inbreeding which involves marriage between cousins is an islamically valid and approved practice.
Inbreeding is a major cause of birth defects in children so its very likely that the whole cousin marriage thing has a huge role to play in recorded high rates of birth defects in Muslim countries.

I think it shows up in Amish communities also.

seriously i've always thought this accounts for modern-day aberrant behavior

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Another angle.....

Cousin marriage relative to the advancement of Western Civilization....

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/04/cousin-marriage-and-democracy.html

Such kin groupings may be extremely nepotistic and distrusting of non-family members in the
larger society. In this context, non-democratic regimes emerge as a consequence of individuals turning to reliable kinship groupings for support rather than to the state or the free market. It has been found, for example, that societies having high levels of familism tend to have low levels of generalized trust and civic engagement, two important correlates of democracy. Moreover, to people in closely related kin groups, individualism and the recognition of individual rights, which are part of the cultural idiom of democracy, are perceived
as strange and counter-intuitive ideological abstractions.

Just so happens that the Irish and Scottish Clans commonly married cousins whistle

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And here I was all impressed when Ancestry dot com nailed us O'Birdy's practically down to a city block in Ireland, relatively speaking. At least we only married good-looking cousins wink

"Oh Danny Boooy......"

https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2018/03/12/the-cousins-the-cousins/

Between 1780 and 1845, the population of Ireland mushroomed from about three million to about eight and a half million....

Look at the numbers. The population tripled in size over less than three generations, a veritable explosion. And the growth wasn’t evenly spread, taking place disproportionately among the vast mass of Gaelic Catholic subsistence farmers in the West and the South. Someone born in those areas in the 1820s and 1830s was typically one of a very large family, ten or more, whose parents and grandparents would also typically have come from families the same size. So if your twenty aunts and uncles did their demographic duty, you could easily have two hundred first cousins, all almost probably living within walking distance.....

Gaelic society had always been tribal, but this was tribalism on steroids. Everyone was literally closely related to everyone around them. No wonder Ancestry’s DNA service is so good at identifying genetic groupings in particular areas of Ireland – the period 1780-1830, the outer limit of its standard autosomal DNA test, is exactly the period when we very obligingly got together and married our cousins like rabbits....

Cousin-density like this also left its mark on a more recent Ireland. Membership of the two main political parties, Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, often appears to be inheritable, with great masses of relatives voting for (or knifing) each other .

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have over 30 female first cousins. Six of them were born the same year as me. Add in another six a year older or younger and I was surrounded with girls my age. I tapped a few of them when I when I was in my teens and twenty's. Played I'll show you mine if you show me yours with a bunch during the puberty years.
A little youthful play is different from marring and raising kids.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A handful of families settled the western part of the county where I grew up. When I was a kid we'd have some fairly large family reunions on a Sunday afternoon every year. I'm at least distantly related to many family names there. It's entirely possible that people in a setting like that would pair up with a distant relative without even realizing it unless you went back 5 generations to check. I'd say that situation exists in many places. Maybe not so much today,..because people are much more mobile than they used to be.

Everybody has 64 great-great-great-great grandparents,...and the number of descendants that 64 people create gets very large. Anyone who is a member of a family that's lived in the same area for several generations will be blood relatives of a *bunch* of people in that area,..even some that they won't know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I have over 30 female first cousins. Six of them were born the same year as me. Add in another six a year older or younger and I was surrounded with girls my age. I tapped a few of them when I when I was in my teens and twenty's. Played I'll show you mine if you show me yours with a bunch during the puberty years.
A little youthful play is different from marring and raising kids.

Guess I'm the other end of the scale.

I have no aunts, no uncles, and no first cousins.

Both my parents were an only child.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
A handful of families settled the western part of the county where I grew up. When I was a kid we'd have some fairly large family reunions on a Sunday afternoon every year. I'm at least distantly related to many family names there. It's entirely possible that people in a setting like that would pair up with a distant relative without even realizing it unless you went back 5 generations to check. I'd say that situation exists in many places. Maybe not so much today,..because people are much more mobile than they used to be.

Everybody has 64 great-great-great-great grandparents,...and the number of descendants that 64 people create gets very large. Anyone who is a member of a family that's lived in the same area for several generations will be blood relatives of a *bunch* of people in that area,..even some that they won't know.

Lot of areas like that including my home county. Don't think I have any recent common ancestors with myself, but my parents families both lived within about 5 miles from one another in a rural county for about 150 years, would be surprised if there wasn't some overlap with distant cousins somewhere down the line. A cousin did a family history book on one branch of the family a few years ago tracing them back to when they first came to America in the 1600s, seems the same 5-6 families all lived next to each other since the 1700s and several of them would all pick up and move a little further west with each other.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You could have saved a lot of typing by just sayin you played bumpin uglies with a cousin...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

You could have saved a lot of typing by just sayin you played bumpin uglies with a cousin...

Nah,...my serious girlfriends from that time were from 2 counties over. I moved here when I was 19. (275 miles east) The only blood relatives I have around here are those I created.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I thought banging your cousins was why they have family reunions. Oh well no use stopping now. Ed k

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have exactly 2 first cousins and the female one is drop-dead gorgeous and 2 years my junior. We had fun at our grandparents playing when we were very young. About the time that I would have had other thoughts about her they up and moved to Texas.....I have seen her twice since I was maybe 10, 45 years ago. The pics that I see of her now, she's still gorgeous......

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Pappy348

A lady I know was walking past her neighbor's house in a WV holler, and heard a comotion inside. Peeked in a window and brother was knocking the bottom of his sister. Close family, I guess. That kind of stuff plays Hell with the genetic equation if not known, assuming the union bears fruit, or maybe fruitcake.

I believe the saying is "Closer kin, deeper in".

This happens in stock all the time. Breeding two genetically close individuals generally goes one of two routes or a combo of the two:

1. The offspring has accentuated the shared strong points of the related individuals' genetics and has a good outcome......we call this line-breeding.
2. The offspring has accentuated the shared weak points of the related individuals' genetics and has a poor outcome......we call this inbreeding.

If the genetics of both sides of the breeding have no strong points to begin with it doesn't take a geneticist to figure out what the results going to be.

Hip displaysia? Springer Rage?

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
So.....if a couple from West Virginia get a divorce, are they still brother and sister????

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Utahunter
So.....if a couple from West Virginia get a divorce, are they still brother and sister????

Yes, and if you mess with either..........

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Somebody from Utah is badmouthing West Virginians on this topic?

You gotta watch that. If you live in a state where a person could have one father and 14 mothers, ancestries can get very confused.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Utahunter

I know that's an old joke, but I am half West Virginian and half Kentuckian, and I have never even heard of anybody marrying even their second cousin, much less their first cousin or sibling. If anybody did, they sure kept it a secret. I'm sure is you did some detective work in any state or area, you could find some pretty disgusting stuff going on in a few cases here and there.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.