Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
nothing in the new testament is in conflict with the "mormon" church. The LDS church believes the new testament to be the word of god. I wonder how reading scriptures, specifically the new testament is in conflict with the church, IN FACT THIS YEAR OUR ENTIRE CHURCH IS STUDYING THE NEW TESTAMENT!!! Lessons from the New testament are on specific parts of the new testament and are studied by family, church and youth lessons, all lessons are focused on the same specific sections of the new testament. In fact this weeks lessons are on James, which I might add is in the new testament.

Sure,

Just like some Christians believe nothing in the New Testament conflicts with anything in the Old Testament.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/19/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by catosilvaje
There was a Morman boy that would come to Paradice camp on the Selway in Idaho where I was a packer and guide. He said he had 58 brothers and sisters and DAD had 19 wives, All with different houses on a big ranch he owned. There was joy to the Lord when the Government checks came to the wives once a month. What a scam. Seems the CHURCH helped him buy the ranch and he gave them a cut of the checks his wives got monthly. This according to the boy, I don't know for sure but he told it as fact.

He wasn't a mormon boy, polygamy has been banned since the 1890's. Those practicing it or attempting to practice it will be excommunicated so fast it will make your head spin. Also I would add utah has some of the most strict anti polygamy laws in the nation. The state has also actively prosecuted groups that practice it, finding crimes that have been committed against under age girls etc. To say utah has turned its eye to this is flat out BS. They have went after it actually in my view.

man I wish people were more informed about things. The LDS chruch, mormon church's official name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. That would indicate that we also believe in Christ, don't you think? We believe in the bible and lastly anyone that practices polygamy or attempts to will be thrown out of the church.

Yawn

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be interested to know who the "Mother" that was a professor at BYU was, is she still professoring there, and if not is she professoring at some other college?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'd be interested to know who the "Mother" that was a professor at BYU was, is she still professoring there, and if not is she professoring at some other college?

Geno

Good luck with that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Good luck with that.

Yea, Ringman's stories are notoriously short on detail.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Some may want to Google "Micah and Lynn Wilder".

Next problem, please.

Thanks, you answered my question while I was typing.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
nothing in the new testament is in conflict with the "mormon" church. The LDS church believes the new testament to be the word of god. I wonder how reading scriptures, specifically the new testament is in conflict with the church, IN FACT THIS YEAR OUR ENTIRE CHURCH IS STUDYING THE NEW TESTAMENT!!! Lessons from the New testament are on specific parts of the new testament and are studied by family, church and youth lessons, all lessons are focused on the same specific sections of the new testament. In fact this weeks lessons are on James, which I might add is in the new testament.

Studying the New Testament is all well and good but that does not address doctrinal differences.

Are the “three heavens” consistent with the New Testament?

Does a Mormon have to perform works to achieve the telestial kingdom?

Is it true that everyone except the most vile go to one of the three heavens?

Does Mormonism teach that the “really good Mormons” can achieve God status?

Edit to add: Does a Mormon have to “endure in the faith” to achieve heaven. Is this not what is often called “works based salvation?”

did christ walk on water by himself? NO peter did as well. Did the apostles that were left to establish christ's early church perform miracles that were the same as the ones christ performed? YES they did. but wait I thought we didn't believe in the new testament? maybe you don't? So why is it a stretch to think that god would hoard all his knowledge and keep others from obtaining everything he has? Clearly Christ didn't hoard all the power and authority during his ministry, instead he shared it with his apostles.

its a law of nature, Whom so ever empowers the individual becomes more successful themselves. We see it everywhere in life. I believe empowering the individual is central to god's plan for us.

pretty much all the doctrinal beliefs by mainstream Christianity were formed by people who got together and voted on what they should be centuries ago. that doesn't make those beliefs or interpretations correct. Its easy to prove or disprove just about anything in the bible. The trinity is one aspect that can be proven or disproven in the bible.

YES the LDS church once practiced polygamy. but its been banned for a 130 years!!!!! YES there are still people and groups that still practice it. They are rogue groups who are actually ostracized by the rest of the population around here. These groups are viewed as weird and don't socialize with regular LDS church members. let me repeat those that practice polygamy separate themselves from us. We separate ourselves from them. We think they are weird people generally.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks efw,

I like that Corb Lund fella's music.

A lot.

Geno

In it is contentment

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Last edited by renegade50; 11/19/19.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I.m taught Christ died for ALL our sins. The greatest bargain in all history, all we need to do is take Him on the Promise.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by catosilvaje
There was a Morman boy that would come to Paradice camp on the Selway in Idaho where I was a packer and guide. He said he had 58 brothers and sisters and DAD had 19 wives, All with different houses on a big ranch he owned. There was joy to the Lord when the Government checks came to the wives once a month. What a scam. Seems the CHURCH helped him buy the ranch and he gave them a cut of the checks his wives got monthly. This according to the boy, I don't know for sure but he told it as fact.

If the story is true, that absolutely is not the Morman church. That is some outlaw polygamist cult.

Yes, there are many close minded individuals on this board with much to learn about Mormans and SDA also for that matter.

As to Rich and the OP, please explain to us how the lives of that Morman family were improved by the strife you mentioned in your post? And how is it Christian to take personal pleasure in the pain this family endured?

My son was babtised into the Morman church at 17 years. That journey was the best thing that ever happened in his life.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Studying the New Testament is all well and good but that does not address doctrinal differences.

Are the “three heavens” consistent with the New Testament?

Does a Mormon have to perform works to achieve the telestial kingdom?

Is it true that everyone except the most vile go to one of the three heavens?

Does Mormonism teach that the “really good Mormons” can achieve God status?

Edit to add: Does a Mormon have to “endure in the faith” to achieve heaven. Is this not what is often called “works based salvation?”

did christ walk on water by himself? NO peter did as well. Did the apostles that were left to establish christ's early church perform miracles that were the same as the ones christ performed? YES they did. but wait I thought we didn't believe in the new testament? maybe you don't? So why is it a stretch to think that god would hoard all his knowledge and keep others from obtaining everything he has? Clearly Christ didn't hoard all the power and authority during his ministry, instead he shared it with his apostles.

its a law of nature, Whom so ever empowers the individual becomes more successful themselves. We see it everywhere in life. I believe empowering the individual is central to god's plan for us.

pretty much all the doctrinal beliefs by mainstream Christianity were formed by people who got together and voted on what they should be centuries ago. that doesn't make those beliefs or interpretations correct. Its easy to prove or disprove just about anything in the bible. The trinity is one aspect that can be proven or disproven in the bible.

YES the LDS church once practiced polygamy. but its been banned for a 130 years!!!!! YES there are still people and groups that still practice it. They are rogue groups who are actually ostracized by the rest of the population around here. These groups are viewed as weird and don't socialize with regular LDS church members. let me repeat those that practice polygamy separate themselves from us. We separate ourselves from them. We think they are weird people generally.

If Joseph Smith would forge bank notes, why not gospel?

Illegal banking, February 1837
In February 1837, Samuel D. Rounds swore a writ against Smith and Sidney Rigdon for illegal banking and issuing unauthorized bank paper. At a hearing on March 24, the court found sufficient evidence for the case to go to trial. In October, Smith and Rigdon were tried in absentia after having left Ohio for Upper Canada. They were each found guilty and each fined $1000.[18][19]

"He was arrested seven times in four months, and his followers managed heroically to raise the $38,428 required for bail.

If he would defraud a bank, why not his followers?

Banking fraud, 1838
After a warrant was issued for Smith's arrest on a charge of banking fraud, Smith and Rigdon fled Kirtland for Missouri on the night of January 12, 1838.

Perjury, fornication and polygamy???

At last two of those are covered in the Old Testament:

Perjury, fornication and polygamy, May 1844
In May 1844, a Hancock County grand jury indicted Smith for perjury, fornication and polygamy. The charge of perjury was based on testimony by Joseph H. Jackson and Robert D. Foster, while William Law's testimony led to charges of fornication and polygamy.[43] Smith appeared before the Circuit Court and his trial was postponed until the next term of the court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_and_the_criminal_justice_system

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/19/19.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had a couple young missionaries stop by my place recently. Very fine young men who demonstrate a courage of conviction rare outside of Leftist circles these days.

When they found out I was an old school Protestant Christian they downplayed differences between us while suggesting I could benefit from converting. When I asked to what I’d be converted since there are so few differences between us according to their former line of argumentation they were baffled.

I won’t claim to know anything much about Mormonism beyond the fact that by their own claim they’re not Christians in the strict, confessional sense. There are many differences amongst Christian sects, but the Orthodox, Romanist, and (historic) Protestants all agree on a set of small-c catholic (or universal) creeds including the Apostles, Athanasian, and Nicene.

One can agree or disagree with the substance of those creeds I have no problem with that, but if that isn’t Christianity then words don’t mean anything at all except what the individual saying them says they do. That’s relativism and Leads to nothing but nihilism.

When cuminscowboy says “we believe in Jesus” that’s hyper vague. The historically Christian definition of that phrase is found in those creeds, and Mormons don’t believe them.

I don’t know how or why, but they wouldn’t feel the need to, onone hand downplay differences, while then turning around and trying to convert me otherwise.

Just my $.02...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys,

Remember that the guy who started the thread thinks the universe is something like 6000 years old. I wouldn't guess his knowledge of Mormon theology is any more accurate.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh boy, it's gonna be one of those kinda threads....

Anyone looking for better entertainment I'm gonna go to the "just for fun pic" thread and post some pictures of my azzes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For information only. I gave up on arguing religion long ago. Here is the Mother of said child:

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always willing to help

Originally Posted by 280shooter
For information only. I gave up on arguing religion long ago. Here is the Mother of said child:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Are the “three heavens” consistent with the New Testament? Yes. Found in 1st Corinthians 15

Does a Mormon have to perform works to achieve the telestial kingdom? No. Faith in Christ is necessary. Works are your outward show of faith, but it is through Christ that we are saved.

Is it true that everyone except the most vile go to one of the three heavens? Yes, again 1st Corinthians 15

Does Mormonism teach that the “really good Mormons” can achieve God status? We can become god-like. Are we not all invited to become like Him?

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here are some questions:

Some on here claim the bible is perfect. Yet, it has many contradictions. It has many verses that state opposites. Google up contradictions in the bible. The book of Revelations was written before many other books in the new testament, Christians use the end of it to claim nothing can be added...why then don't they toss out the books written after the book of revelations? Is the bible perfect? Based on dead sea scrolls and other documents, we are discovering much was not correctly handed down or translated correctly. Why do Christian's opt to ignore many other documents of antiquity?

The resurrected Christ to the apostles appeared with a body of flesh and bones. Yet Christian's assert that he is a spirit and does not have a body. Why?

Here is a couple of other troubling issues, you attack the Book of Mormon, yet its description of the tree of life was confirmed by other texts of antiquity that have come forth since the 1950s.

In the 1960s, it was discovered that the Book of Mormon had lots of Hebrew poetry and was a great source for examples of Hebrew poetry. The LDS church asserts that Book of Mormon has a Hebrew back ground.

Baptists assert that the thieves crucified with along side Jesus went to heaven. Yet, Peter teaches that Christ, during the time his body laid in the tomb, went to the spirit world to teach the gospel. Herein lies a challenge for me, why would Christ be preaching to the dead if we had to accept him in this life to be saved????

Here is another interesting question, why do the translations of Isiah in the Book of Mormon have a better match to the dead sea scrolls than our current old testament???

Why is the LDS community slammed for plural marriage, when it was common during the 1800s. The restaurant in New York who invented potato chips was a polygamist. There were a number of polygamists in the south even after the civil war. God gave multiple wives to many of the patriarchs of the old testament.

Why do Christian churches need a paid ministry. That conflicts with the new testament?

Researchers have found that Paul, after his vision in acts, went east for three years. (read Galations for a specific derail). Where did he go???? Some very renowned biblical scholars assert that he had a great understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

my advice, do not criticize what you have not read for yourself and that includes the Book of Mormon

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.