T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Blue jays are tough & stringy

Mike

Ever try robins, field lark, or black birds?

Randy
Robin's are better than black bird or woodpecker, but that isn't saying much. All three are gamey, tough, and stringy. As a teenager my 3 friends that I run with have eat them. When we would campout we would bring a skillet, oil, flour ,salt and pepper. We all had the bright idea if we didn't kill something we didnt get to eat. Of course lots of alcohol the night before was consumed.

We would also take a couple slices of bread and wake around the pond looking for perch. When we would see one we would crumble up a half of a slice and throw it in the water. When the water started to boil we would shoot a 20 ga shotgun in the center of the boil. We would end up with 2 to 6 perch. When we had perch we didnt need to eat gamey birds.

I almost forgot when you pick them up black birds stink until you skin them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Before someone says it,I know you aren't supposed to kill migratory birds. When you are a dumbbutt teenager, hungover and hungry I have been known to make bad choices. I haven't shot a bird since I was a teenager.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mountain lion, lynx, bear and capybara have all been on my menu. Capy is much better with the fat trimmed off. They are the worlds largest rodent and normal table fare in the Amazon where I was working. We got opossum and monkey too but the native hunter I went out with kept them for the workers on the farm. Those were cooked in a pit in the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Mike

‘Cept we never called ‘em Field Larks! 😉🤣

What you call them meadowlarks?

I live in Louisiana. I am trying to wrap my head around what a strange thing may be.

grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
LOL! Nope!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Texczech

Mike

Randy
Robin's are better than black bird or woodpecker, but that isn't saying much. All three are gamey, tough, and stringy. As a teenager my 3 friends that I run with have eat them. When we would campout we would bring a skillet, oil, flour ,salt and pepper. We all had the bright idea if we didn't kill something we didnt get to eat. Of course lots of alcohol the night before was consumed.

We would also take a couple slices of bread and wake around the pond looking for perch. When we would see one we would crumble up a half of a slice and throw it in the water. When the water started to boil we would shoot a 20 ga shotgun in the center of the boil. We would end up with 2 to 6 perch. When we had perch we didnt need to eat gamey birds.

Like I said, I'm gonna blame the beer. We would camp for days and like you, just bring the skillet and such. If we didn't kill or catch something, we didn't eat. One time a friend and I had a run of bad luck... on the 3rd day, we decided to try raw fresh-water muscles. Not too bad with a little salt and ketchup.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Mike

Randy

Like I said, I'm gonna blame the beer. We would camp for days and like you, just bring the skillet and such. If we didn't kill or catch something, we didn't eat. One time a friend and I had a run of bad luck... on the 3rd day, we decided to try raw fresh-water muscles. Not too bad with a little salt and ketchup.

little periwinkles now in our fresh flowing streams.

Grandmom spoke of collecting baskets of fresh water mussels. ate them with gusto, and great relish.

they're all gone. attributed to the muddy waters coming from farm lands, and suffocating them. not sure.

but they are gone.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Mike

Randy

Randy, I ain't tough enough to try the muscles.
I got to draw a line somewhere.😉

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandpa trapped and we ate every young coon he caught.

Baked in the oven with sweet potatoes and cloves.

I can't recall ever eating a hamburger or pork chop at his house but at breakfast pork was common. Other than that it was always a wild game or fish.

He smoked cigarettes or cigars and lived a full life into his early 90's.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Porcupine, ground hog, pine squirrels, carp,

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Woodchuck, carp, buffalo fish,smoked suckers, and smoked lampreys are as weird as I've eaten.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lynx, bobcat, mt lion, and beaver and muskrats are very good and have eaten them many times. Sweet and sour lynx is a common Christmas dinner dish if it is on hand here. My niece just caught a good one a couple days ago.

Worst thing I ever tried to eat was a sea otter. Following way back in the foul category was brown bear in the fish. It may have been edible compared to the sea otter.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Opossums,coon and carp.

Some were done once others several times.

My Great Grand-ma could cook a coon and all the fixings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

My ex told me if I ever ate a possum, she'd never kiss me again. Shoulda taken her up on that decades ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I hope that’s not your ex!

Far from it. As a girl she looked like a tall and slender Stevie Nicks. Still looks good at almost 60.

I'm into the gals of the Asian Persuasion now. I tell the China Doll all my wives from now on are gonna be Chinese, or maybe Korean. She says" You can dream, Grandpa....."

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I regularly eat my mountain lions. I have also BBQ wolves. Just took the hams and backstrap off of one last week that my neighbor is going to smoke.

Here's my first BBQ..........

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5776537/i-ate-my-wolf#Post5776537

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
346 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.