Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I ordered one of these in .54 flintlock for the season here in PA. It arrived today, and I was not impressed. The front sight is bent due to shipping more than likely. But, the wood and metal fit is terrible. The wood is proud of the tang, lock bolt, wedge key escutcheons etc. Not just a little bit either, an 1/8 inch or more. It looks like a beaver chewed on the area around the entry ramrod pipe. This thing is going back. I have another GPR, a .50 flint, that i bought probably 20 years ago that is very nice. I guess if I want one that's put together properly I'll have to get a kit and do it myself. Seems Lyman needs to get it together. Anyone else noticing a lack of workmanship with the current models?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I looked at them probably 20 years ago at Cabela's and wasn't impressed then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an older GPR percussion in .50 cal that's pretty nice, shoots good too.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They aren't cheap, either! Lyman is made by Investarms, an Italian company that makes guns for Cabelas, among others. I have a few older ones that are quite nice, and shoot well. Sad to hear they are going downhill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My '80s vintage one was pretty nice.

While we're at it, I occasionally look at the pics on the TVM site. Close-ups of some of those looked pretty rough too. My late, lamented Pedersoli Mortimer was very nicely fit and finished. I suppose the lesson here is to check them out in person, before plunking down your bucks.

The early Parker-Hale 1858 I picked up recently is also quite nice.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
that stinks but thats the way they send these guns out these days. Some are even coming with the lock area full of cracks and wood chipping out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Guess, I’m glad I got mine when I did. Mine has above average fit and finish. It’s a hunter version flintlock, like it very much. Rear sight could be better, only grudge. I modified it by getting rid of the “buckhorn”. Still not positive on elevation adjustment.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine was crap-sent it back.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have two GP percussion rifles in 50 cal. that are about 10 years old. One is a round ball pusher and the other is designed for maxis. Fit and finish are good in both and they each are great shooters. I also have a lightly used Cabela's Invest Arms I bought for $100. It looks OK but I have had to bend the hammer to strike properly and get a stiffer mainspring to reliably pop a cap. If I hadn't got it so cheap I would be very upset. It shoots OK but has a 1:48 twist. I was not impressed with the TC side locks I have had nor their customer service. I had to step up to Pedersoli to get a nice production flintlock.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a 50 cal flinter, Lyman Trade, say 5 years old, nothing like you describe. Sad if this is the way they are going now....

IC B3

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seems to be the way of most everything now..

I picked up a second Traditions Crockett from Midway last year for the kid. The one I have from over ten years ago is gorgeous. The fit and finish on the new one looked like chit. It went back, I didn't bother with a replacement.

Prices go up, quality down.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by J23
Seems to be the way of most everything now..

I picked up a second Traditions Crockett from Midway last year for the kid. The one I have from over ten years ago is gorgeous. The fit and finish on the new one looked like chit. It went back, I didn't bother with a replacement.

Prices go up, quality down.

The little .32 Crockett is one I’ve wanted for quite sometime, They are a Neat Looking Little Rifle 👍 A guy here in town was telling me about having a Brand new one, He finally brought it by for me to look at, I wouldn’t have wanted his! Fit n Finish was BY FAR The worst i have ever Seen on ANY Muzzleloader. I immediately suspected it was a Kit and he done a Crappy Job putting it together? Nope, it was a Factory Rifle that came that way, He had ordered it from somewhere? The Gun wouldn’t even Fire for the Guy the First time out, he had to go back home and Work on it

It isn’t like the little Crockett Rifle is Cheap either, 500 Bucks at Midway right now.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,226
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.