24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got an email from R. J. Renner about his work on the Ruger No. 1. An excerpt:

"This rifle is the most sleek and slender No.1 I have ever made. My goal was to make a 6-pound No.1, but I missed that mark. The rifle finished up at a mere 5.6 pounds...The "production" version will be chambered for the 6,5x52R, that is, the .25-35 Winchester to the Yanks. Just enough power to take big deer at 200 yards with the new modern loads that Hornady offers. Could also work in 7-30 Waters or .30-30."

Here's the pic, an Ultra-Light No.1. Pretty slick.

[Linked Image]

He did an "Ultra-Slender" No.1 in .250 Savage for me that comes in at 6 lbs 13 oz but it's as lithe as you could want so I can't even image how nice this lightweight rifle would handle.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very tempting but I don't like the extractor only part. I wonder what an ejector version would weigh? The cross pin fore end does look pretty cool maybe I could get used to it. Renner also does some very creative staining to create the impression of aging that I like very much. His work is very subtle and not obvious or fake looking at all.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wonder how much that will run?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's cool, but I'm fine with the weight of a standard Ruger.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having a "Ultra Slender" Ruger #1 in 250 Savage would fill my ultimate bucket list.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
Very tempting but I don't like the extractor only part. I wonder what an ejector version would weigh?
Where did you come up with the idea that this was an "extractor only" affair?

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Somewhere on his web site. http://www.rjrenner.com/ May have been in conjunction with his 375 Express cartridge. But look at the fore end, not much room for the hanger and ejector spring and none with the cross pin. He may have developed a way to shorten the hanger so I would call or Email to verify.

Just read through his site. The 375 R is ejector only. The Hubertus does have a shortened ejector and hanger. Not sure about the ultra light.
The UL in 25-35 would be a fun rifle.

Last edited by Tejano; 11/20/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure he removed the forend hangar and spring loaded ejector to fit that forend the way it is, the pic of what he did is at the bottom of the Ruger No. 1 page, http://www.rjrenner.com/ruger-no.1.html. I suspect he used the lessons and techniques learned creating that St. Hubertus tribute rifle and applied them to a standard No. 1 to come up with this Ultra-Light rifle.

Roger understands and does "slender" like no one else I've ever worked with. He took a couple of oversized clubs another stockmaker had made and turned them into beautifully handling rifles. You can see the cheekpiece he pulled out of a Ruger factory stock for my .250 Savage here http://www.rjrenner.com/options.html although that pic is of a right handed rifle and mine's left handed - the magic of the internet! wink

He definitely builds for a niche market. The big deals these days are tactical and long range stuff but he likes the ideal of stalking as close as possible and his rifles and the calibers chosen reflect that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.