Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thought ya'll may like. First I'd seen of it.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdo...gs-state-record-moose-with-bow-and-arrow

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“I was just going to put a stand up that day and hunt the rest of the weekend,” Ellison, 44, told Fox News. But those plans were dashed when he couldn’t get his tree stand up “because it was so muddy.”

On his way back up the river, however, Ellingson spotted something from his boat — a massive moose, “just standing on the bank.”

Ellingson said the moose quickly turned back and headed away from the bank, toward a back channel. Fortunately, Ellingson knew the route well.

“So I ran my boat up the back channel,” said Ellingson, who then hopped out of his boat. “He came right up to the willows, right to me.”

Ellingson said the moose was about 25 yards away at this point, but he would need to shoot through a “basketball-sized” hole in the willows.

He fired. And his first arrow landed “right in the chest.” The moose turned, and another arrow hit him in the rear. The third and final arrow, straight into the animals’ femoral artery, “knocked him down,” Ellingson said.

Ellingson said he and eight buddies were later needed to haul the moose out of the woods, a process which took “six or seven hours.”

“We actually pulled it up into a trailer, backed it up into the river and floated him up on the trailer,” Ellingson says.

He would need to keep the antlers for a full 60 days before any official measurements could be taken.

Fast-forward to November, and Ellingson is now recognized as having taken the largest moose in North Dakota by bow and arrow, at 190 6/8 inches — shattering the previous record of 166 7/8 inches from 2012, according to the publication.

And Ellingson isn’t even that far off from the state record for a moose taken by any means, as the current record – be it by an archer or with a hunting rifle – is 205 7/8 inches.

Ellingson now has big plans for his moose, he told Fox News.

“I’ll be taking that over to Billings, Montana, to have a taxidermist mount it,” he explained, adding that he’s already built his own pedestal for it.

“The whole thing was quite a rush. That’s all I gotta say.”

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow! That is massive. Are the moose in ND Shiras or Canadian sun species?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
heck of a moose, for any where in the lower 48

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that's a pretty nice moose. They don't come much better than that one.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
From the background, it looks like somewhere around the Little Missouri River area. I really didn’t realize there were moose in that area.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow !

So you guys can hunt big game from a powered vessel ?

That just doesn't seem right.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Wow !

hopping out of a boat doesn't fit hunting from a powered vessel accusation , at least to me. You have to get to the point somehow?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Wow !

Certainly not the most awesome story he could have concocted....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I never thought of ND as a moose state?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Hancock27
I never thought of ND as a moose state?

We have Big Horns and Elk too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm from Williston. Don't know exactly where this bull was taken, but it was south of town. Large area of bottom land along the Missouri river upstream from Lake Sakawea and just downstream of the Confluence of the Yellostone and Missouri rivers. Pretty much ideal moose habitat with large willow bars, islands and back channels interspersed with timbered areas. Large areas of public land, but access to some areas only by boat. Don't think he was hunting from the boat per say. Just getting from point A to B when he saw this bull. Not much different than spotting a deer from the truck and trying to figure an approach. To each his own, but I see nothing wrong with it. Not like he shot it with a rifle right from the boat. He was Bowhunting. Still quite a challenge in IMO. Good for him.

Growing up the bottoms just south of Williston where awesome for pheasants. Used to hunt there for opener every year. Last several years there has been more water with flooding, which has taken out a large portion of the good nesting habitat at the time it is needed. Flip side is the moose have moved in. Hardly any moose around when I was growing up, but quite a few now. Mountain lions too.

Do or do not, there is no try.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah, I am 50. When I was a kid, the moose were always out in north East part of the state.

I live in Fairview for now. I get to go down to the ccu and bears den a lot. That is some rugged country, perfect for cats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never thought of ND as a moose state. While driving thru I would occasionally see moose crossing signs and thought it was odd. Then I saw a nice bull (not as big as the photo above) nibbling on some trees about 2 miles from a moose crossing sign. Guess they are around. I was in the middle of the state between Bismarck and Minot.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Yeah, I am 50. When I was a kid, the moose were always out in north East part of the state.

I live in Fairview for now. I get to go down to the ccu and bears den a lot. That is some rugged country, perfect for cats.

For Sure! Beautiful country.

Was up there last weekend. Hammerd the pheasants on Saturday. Not so much on Sunday...

Do or do not, there is no try.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.