Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can remember years ago there were many gunsmiths that specialized in cleaning complex triggers in Colt revolvers. I would go back to the basics and start there.

1. Complete a NRA safety class. A refresh is never wasted time.
2. Send the gun into a gunsmith for a compete cleaning and adjustment.
3. Test the gun using a snap cap for all safe/fire conditions. Don't forget to use the rubber hammer in all directions.

After condemning the gun on a public form you will not be able to limit your liability without action.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had two Rem 700s slam fire on me over the years...both were somewhat older rifles with some use, but not abuse. I threw Timneys in both of them, and haven't had an issue since.

I don't know about the safety being clicked off issue, as I don't use them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had it happen many years ago. Seems that was when I knew everything and did my own trigger adjustment. A friend and I were sneaking up on some hogs and I pushed the safety off and almost shot him in the heel. Only trigger that I check adjustment on now is my 1 1/2 oz Jewell. I now use Jewell and Shilen triggers. I keep them clean by flushing them with lighter fluid and blow them out.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 11/19/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cfran
It was really hard to Google up and image that had a NULA, and a barreled action 700 with a Shilen trigger. LOL.

I’m reaching out to Shilen and will work with them to test out my existing trigger, will be interesting to see what they find.

Jackwagon- I usually fire a warning shot to start every hunt, tends to equalize the playing field, otherwise I punch my tags to quickly. Wow.

Have you tried to replicate the issue on an empty chamber since the incident?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ammoman16
So you decided to test your rifle for function on a loaded chamber when you had concerns and you are now defending your decision when it is pointed out to you how it wasn't the smartest move. Please don't hunt where near me.

He moved his rifle from safe to fire. I have done that in the stand a number of times. Wanted to feel it with gloved and or cold hands and see if there was any noise on a dead quiet morning. Muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Just what the hell is the matter with doing that? I am going to do the same thing when I get ready to shoot a deer.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do a quick check of my rifle each morning for fit and function before loading up...I would never check a firearm for function while in the field on a hot chamber.

Your move not only blew off a round, you blew your hunting spot at least for that morning. Glad your okay! Triggers are cheap to replace for piece of mind. 😎

Paul,
Why would you want to check your safety for noise on a quiet morning while hunting? If it makes noise, you just made a metallic sound for no reason. I’d rather make the noise while I’m on an animal versus sending out a message to an unseen critter near by that a hunter is here.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
So you decided to test your rifle for function on a loaded chamber when you had concerns and you are now defending your decision when it is pointed out to you how it wasn't the smartest move. Please don't hunt where near me.

He moved his rifle from safe to fire. I have done that in the stand a number of times. Wanted to feel it with gloved and or cold hands and see if there was any noise on a dead quiet morning. Muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Just what the hell is the matter with doing that? I am going to do the same thing when I get ready to shoot a deer.

I'm guessing you didn't read all his posts. He said the safety didn't seem right when he was at the range.

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Only slightly stiff. Could have been the cold, damp day on the range . . . hard to know for sure.

Trigger will go back to manufacturer. We’ll see. Can’t replicate the problem again for those that have asked.

Glad you are concerned about your safety around me, hard to keep the backseat drivers happy as guys like you seem to know everything. Impressive. Paul B’s post summed up my feelings.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cfran
Just curious.Did you remove the trigger already? Is it clean inside? Any dirt?oil? Solvent residue?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you have photographic evidence of removing it and checking? LOL Just kidding.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

C
cfran Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Have not had the chance to tear it down yet. Heading out of town shortly for a long hunting weekend but will do so next week.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The usual Campfire mountain-out-of-a-molehill-dogpile-meltdown.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cfan,
Shilen makes an excellent trigger.
I have had and still have some and they have been very good.
Get it cleaned and checked.
And go hunting.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You are an Idiot….

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shinbone
The usual Campfire mountain-out-of-a-molehill-dogpile-meltdown.

Pretty much with the usual idiots adding in their ex-purt-eze
as well

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cfran
All:

Looking for some guidance, had a scary situation last weekend while on stand with my tried and true model 700 in 308. Just so folks are aware, I had this gun built some 15+ years ago, Douglas barrel, Shilen trigger, McMillian stock . . . it's shot a lot of whitetails over the years and probably has 300-400 rounds down the tube w/o incident, great gun.

So while in my stand last weekend, before shooting light I was thinking that my Father just had his Model 700 undergo the product recall fix with the safety/trigger situation about a year ago and my mind starting thinking about that. So the long and short of it was I put my right hand on the forearm of the stock and with my index finger and thumb on the safety I pushed the safety forward into the "fire" position. No worries, gun was safely pointed away. Well the gun went bang and I know with 100% that my finger was nowhere near the trigger. Scared the crap out of me and I really don't know why I checked it in the first place.

Am interested in any thoughts, obviously I won't hunt with it until I get it checked out. But I have done no trigger adjustments or anything to the gun. Open to suggestions and wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

Thanks!

Well, I was going to be snarky and say Rem + AD go together like husband/wife... But I won't. laugh laugh

Just going by the above... You state: (1) You had this built 15+ years ago. (2) You have not touched this trigger.. (ergo) IMHO, you NEED to 'touch' this trigger because I would bet a hunsky that it's fouled/sticky and it's in sore need to cleaning/attention.. Any time an owner has a firearm with an enclosed trigger the owner better be payin' very VERY close attention to cleanliness..

Inspect, and post back with results please..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Region6
FYI, you don’t have to test a safety with a round chambered. Do yourself a favor and sell all of your firearms and take up golf.

Don't be an idiot. That's not what he did.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Your move not only blew off a round, you blew your hunting spot at least for that morning. Glad your okay! Triggers are cheap to replace for piece of mind.

How did it blow the hunting spot for the morning? You've never shot 2 deer from the same spot? I've done it a few minuets apart, and a few hours apart.

I shot a doe that was sniffing the gut pile of a buck I shot a few hours earlier.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Have done that multiple times with multiple rifles on stand.I keep it on safety when I see a potential target and it is within range I move it to Fire. Heck I have done it with a Remington 700 , Weatherby Mark V,Rugers,Sakos,Tikkas,Howas I know I left some others off the list. I thought it was safe to keep the rifle on safe especially when in a tree stand or box blind and then switch it to FIRE when ready to FIRE. I don't keep one in the chamber most times when hiking around.

Maybe I should take up Golf?

To the OP do what the sensible posters said to do and have the trigger inspected and cleaned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I do a quick check of my rifle each morning for fit and function before loading up...I would never check a firearm for function while in the field on a hot chamber.

Your move not only blew off a round, you blew your hunting spot at least for that morning. Glad your okay! Triggers are cheap to replace for piece of mind. 😎

Paul,
Why would you want to check your safety for noise on a quiet morning while hunting? If it makes noise, you just made a metallic sound for no reason. I’d rather make the noise while I’m on an animal versus sending out a message to an unseen critter near by that a hunter is here.

I almost always get a feel for it when I get up in the stand. With 10 different rifles, each safety has it's own characteristics. Add in gloved hands, and there's a little different feel for getting it to snick off silently. As soon as I get settled in the stand, I practice snicking it off. From a safety standpoint, it's no different from doing it when you are getting ready to shoot a deer or when you are doing it at the range.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,887 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.