24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leave it be. Buy some nickel-plated brass for the .222 to help you keep it separate. I'm using that trick to keep the brass used for light Trail Boss loads separate from the real ones, in case the shoulders get pushed back and to keep from taking a poke at Bambi with a 1200fps load. Already had the shiny brass.

No shame in using memory aids, once you get to be "that age".

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Hey Pappy, where'd you get the nickeled .222 brass?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had this conversion done on an older Remington 722 that was given to my daughter, mainly because she couldn't find .222 ammo anywhere near where she lived. It shot just as good as or maybe a little better as a .223. She shot it quite a bit, and ended up selling it for a good price to a friend of hers who uses it for fur harvesting.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Sorry, that was .308 brass. Never looked for nickeled .222, just assumed it would be available. Guess I'd better check or withdraw my idea.

A Sharpie might do the trick too.

EDIT: Just looked and Midway has a bunch of nickeled, but no .222. A feller could reform nickeled .223 I suppose, but don't know if the plating would cause a problem.

They have nickel 6.5 Grendel, .30 Carbine, .375 Win, and others I never would have expected.

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/19/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Morning, hope its going good. Years ago I had a 222 opened for 223 it was on HR single shot . It would split necks all the time. Took it back to gun shop & the second smith in there shop said it shouldn't have been done & said to go to 222mag. Not interested so they gave me credit for it's worth . Maybe it was done wrong in the first place ???? Ya could go to the22-204 that would clean up the chamber or yes 222mag but cases for 204 are everywhere . Hope it helps. It would clean everything up & I don't think the cases would fit into yr 223???? Bill out 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not real difficult to set up and cut though one might have to make a fixture. I use a Palmgren milling attachment to hold the barrel and drive the reamer from the headstock. There are numerous ways to accomplish the same task. GD

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
You seem like a pretty intelligent fella, so what's the problem with keeping .222's separate from .223's? I own 6 .30-06's and can keep their individually tailored loads apart from each other, and my intelligence is debatable sometimes!

I might utterly brilliant, but I'm stupid a lot. wink

I toss ammo from my pockets all sorts of places in my haste and get everything intermixed. It would be simpler to have no 222 at all, and the ammo is very expensive in comparison. My limited income now makes me do things I would never consider otherwise. I can have the work done for free, but it appears there is too much chance my 222 has too generous a chamber for this to work.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Also, the work would be done by a friend who is a very skillful machinist, makes precision aircraft parts, does gunsmithing, and builds large caliber military type barrels on contract. He has a modern shop with all sorts of precision equipment. I have no fear of his skills, and he will soon make me a set of claw rings for a second scope for my 6.5X57R drilling that has a ginormous scope on it now. Maybe a chamber cast first would be in order?

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/19/19.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
You seem like a pretty intelligent fella, so what's the problem with keeping .222's separate from .223's? I own 6 .30-06's and can keep their individually tailored loads apart from each other, and my intelligence is debatable sometimes!

I toss ammo from my pockets all sorts of places in my haste and get everything intermixed. It would be simpler to have no 222 at all, and the ammo is very expensive in comparison. My limited income now makes me do things I would never consider otherwise. I can have the work done for free, but it appears there is too much chance my 222 has too generous a chamber for this to work.

Might you try to shoot say, an elk with say, a .22/250 cartridge in a 7/08?

(Probably a wasted dig, since ol' Flave's among the missing, but he might be lurking)

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You could tell the difference between 222 and 223 in the dark. Those rounds are not alike despite same bore and head size. You may be surprised at the response if put that rifle up for sale. Many of us have handloaded 222 for years and could care less what's in the Big Box. Paying attention to the twist was an excellent suggestion.

Last edited by Roundball1; 11/19/19.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that none of the reasons you give provide a compelling argument for what you want to do. I'm sure many of us here have .222's and .223's (I do) and never have had a problem keeping ammunition sorted out. The longer neck on .222 is very obvious (at least to me.) There would be no appreciable performance gain and I'm almost sure bullets heavier than 55 grains would be out of the picture. It's a nice gun, a little unusual, leave it be.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
what do you want for it??

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Might you try to shoot say, an elk with say, a .22/250 cartridge in a 7/08?

(Probably a wasted dig, since ol' Flave's among the missing, but he might be lurking)

More like a 270 round in an '06.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

You're not stupid--you're nuts!

And I state that fondly, after our years of acquaintance and mutual "nutness" about various firearms.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

And I state that fondly, after our years of acquaintance and mutual "nutness" about various firearms.

Well...OK then

What's the initiation like into The Cult of the Triple-Deuce? Will it hurt? To ascend up the ranks will I eventually have to get a Scandinavian bolt action and an Uber-Glass scope?

I relent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I resemble that remark.

Sako Vixen 222 Rem
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It does earn it's keep though

Then there is a nice Model 70 222 Rem. if you want to save a buck

And if you need something to kill Blue Bottle flies at a hundred
Custom Savage

The 222 Rem kind of grows on you once you get to know it. Invest in a Sav. Axis to shoot up that 223 ammo so you can resize the brass it to 222 Rem.

Last edited by erich; 11/20/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

Well...OK then

What's the initiation like into The Cult of the Triple-Deuce? Will it hurt? To ascend up the ranks will I eventually have to get a Scandinavian bolt action and an Uber-Glass scope?

I relent.

Painless, totally painless. In fact, every time my Scandinavian bolt gun is at the bench, its Nirvana. 70 Speer semi pointed soft points have shot just under an inch in my gun. Chronographed the load, but can't recall the mv.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Sorry, that was .308 brass. Never looked for nickeled .222, just assumed it would be available. Guess I'd better check or withdraw my idea.

A Sharpie might do the trick too.

EDIT: Just looked and Midway has a bunch of nickeled, but no .222. A feller could reform nickeled .223 I suppose, but don't know if the plating would cause a problem.

They have nickel 6.5 Grendel, .30 Carbine, .375 Win, and others I never would have expected.

Nickle 222 cases

Federal also made nickle plated 222 Match cases in the 80s. Some are still floating around.

Being around salt air is the only advantage to them and it would have to be pretty bad to go that route, as every nicked case Remington makes pretty much suck.
http://bhshooters.com/rifle_brass.htm

I'd consider rechambering to 222 Mag, but not 223. The twist, chamber/throat cleanup and changing the cartridge stamp for starters.

Last edited by HawkI; 11/20/19.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

To keep similar cases apart (or cases for different rifles), make the cases black instead -- much cheaper and more convenient.

[Linked Image from content.invisioncic.com]

LINK to buy, about 10 bucks

John

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sure is easier than finding those shiny 222 cases.

Maybe I'll go whole-hog and do it into a 22-250!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.