Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Need to run a water line from the crawl space to a yard hydrant about 90' away.

I understand direct burial is ok. Type A or B? Type of connector preferred? Etc.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heat tape can be a bit of an issue if required.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
How so?

I'm thinking I'll just use HT on the galvanized riser to the flip handle.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was think of the other end exiting the crawl space.
I don't heat tape my galvanized frost-proof yard hydrants

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I only have experience with Type B, using stainless crimp connectors.

I chose the stainless connectors based on ease of use. Copper compression ring tools need greater spacial access and periodical calibration.

Direct burial is OK. Warnings for UV exposure are probably a bit conservative. I've had a temporary exposed water line run at my cabin in Sterling for 2 years with 100% exposure and so far no issues. I wouldn't want to do it for permanent run, but it works for now. Flushing toilets keep others happy!

Type A is technically superior, but both are very good. If using a contractor that has the expansion tool for Type A, that would be my preference. If doing the work myself I would chose Type B based primarily on the cost of the connection tool. Assuming buying tools. If rental is available then a toss up and run the numbers.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crap, though this was about PEZ. That, I know something about.

Nevermind.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Why not PVC??

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have crimp on the PEX in my house, my brother has Type A in his house. I wish the plumber who did our house had used A.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Why not PVC??

PVC is garbage compared to PEX.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A properly installed hydrant has stone around the base to allow it to drain from the bottom. Pex, CTS, or even 180 psi black poly will work underground. Sharkbites will work on the pex just fine. If you have rocky soil consider running the line in pvc for protection. Install a ball valve in the house for service later on.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
only use shark bites where you can see them so you can detect leakage and where it’s open so you can change them

Don’t use the homedepot tools, or the new crimp types the older heavy duty commercial crimped is fine, just make sure you check the crimps to see if they are tight enough or the tool needs adjustment. I use the copper crimps from a real plumbing supply vs. the shark bite brand from Home Depot.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is a link to a good tool (huge compression head) vs. the stuff Home Depot sells

https://www.yescomusa.com/collectio...-pe-crimp-tool-ring-crimper-w-gauge-blue

I have a 3/4” and a 1/2” tool ...

You’ll also need a ring splitter (to remove a screw up compression ring after you put it on) and a cutter (anything works there) for the plex.

Here is a compression ring removal tool https://www.crimpingtools.com/produ...3-4-inch-1-inch-f1807-copper-crimp-rings
The homedepot ones work fine.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/20/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Our water piping froze and broke last winter at deer camp. I ran pex last week from the pump to all the end users we wanted. I had never done it but watched a few youtube videos. It was easy to do and will be easier if any repairs are needed. It is faster to put in than the other types of pipe. As of now none of my connections leaked a drop if they do I can cut them off add in a straight and a short piece and recrimp in less than 5 minutes. I used the copper crimp rings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used B. Its stiffer and harder to work with, but I read that when used in chlorinated water it doesn't leach chemicals as bad as Pex A. Having said that, keep in mind that all pipes leach chemicals.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Why not PVC??

Where ex-stream durability is required I have stepped up to sch 80 PVC, If I'm not running copper which is my preference.
I have a neighbor whom right at this very moment has a plumbing contractor re-plumbing a home he owns that was plumbed with Pex in a crawl area.. It has been destroyed by rodents... It's being replaced with PVC.

Inside a heated homes walls Pex is probably the cat's pajamas of plumbing options today.
Properly coached a novice can do a somewhat professional appearing job.

In areas where plumbing might be subject to freezing I question the use of Pex.
It's hard to straighten out for install, If you are winterizing a cabin for the season and blowing out all water lines Pex has a habit of holding water in all the low areas created due to not being flat or straight if you get what I'm saying.
Come spring, there can be multiple frozen areas due to the low spots holding water after being blow out.
Warming it up before unrolling and getting it as straight as possible may help overcome this problem.

It's good to -50 with out rupture, but once it freezes your options of thawing are limited. No quickie job with a torch, no clamping on a welder and heat taping is controversial.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pex can stand freezing, but what about any valves, and such?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pex can stand freezing, but what about any valves, and such?

Now you're back to the heat tape/Pex issue, all valves that are in areas known to be subject to freezing must be heat taped.
I've seen Pex wrapped with foil and then heat taped, not so sure how that works out.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am thinking of our place in NW Ontario. I tried draining PVC pipes by gravity draining. That worked at times, and not at other times.

Now I use air to blow the lines, and get along fine so far.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
HDPE or heavy PVC. Sch 40 at the minimum.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am thinking of our place in NW Ontario. I tried draining PVC pipes by gravity draining. That worked at times, and not at other times.

That is what I call properly done, being sure they "vent" right while draining helps a lot.
Every spigot opened, shower risers are often missed as are dishwasher control valves.

Now I use air to blow the lines, and get along fine so far.

It sure helps the job go quicker but you have to close all the valves and re-open them a time or two in the process.
Most Pex installs leave a hundred little whoop-de-doos where water will lay even when you think you have everything blown clear.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.