Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have owned 4 38-55s. Two marlin 336s rebored by JES, a Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter, and a Stevens 44 1/2. Every one of them was a tack driver and more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Cast bullets only in everything from mouse fart loads to 1600 fps hunting loads. They are now in the hands of close friends that just HAD TO HAVE THEM. I still shoot them whenever we get together....and, of course, I have to reload for them.

The Stevens is a serious piece of work. With the Unertl scope I had no problem shooting sub MOA:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Although the Stevens isn't much of a hunting rifle with it's bull barrel, I just had to do it. Don't ever believe a .376" 250 odd grain cast bullet at 1500 fps will not kill

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
. . . and just to reinterate, I'm not saying the 38-55 isn't effective or that it is anemic or obsolete. It's none of these. All I'm saying is there is a narrower range of options.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is definitely a narrower range of options with the .38-55/375 Winchester and even more so since Hornady decided to drop their 220 grain offering (😤). I’ve had good luck with the Barnes originals and Sierra’s 200 grain bullets for jacketed loads and have used a myriad of cast bullets (no major diversity issue if willing to go that route).......plus for me there is an untold amount of “fun” using a cartridge that my grandfather used with a great deal of success👍

But while we’re at it my “lack of diversity” vote goes to the .256 Winchester Magnum😄

PennDog

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My 450 Marlin. Big, slow, bullet, kicks a tad when loaded up. The perfect chore , take down saddle rifle.
Kicks like a mule and yes, I have been kicked by both.
Not much good in the Sheep basins or across a draw shot on a Bull Elk. Puts away in my saddle bags for
for brush popping cattle- Grizzly capable in a hurry.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shaman
I too have a hankering for a 38-55, and I even bought a 30-30 donor rifle back last winter.

I have to agree, the more I research the 38-55, I see more walls than windows. Sorry, gnoahhh. I have to disagree. I'm thinking of this 38-55 as Ohio-compliant whitetail deer rifle. There just aren't that many jacketed bullets for this chambering, and although there are quite a few cast bullet options, I find that they're all on the heavy side for whitetail. I know-- that's my tastes, but I'm used to playing in the 30-06 kind of sandbox where the bullet choices are overwhelming.

Yes, there are least-versatile choices, especially if you look at the reverse. What is the most versatile chambering?

Take 30-06: I had grafs.com up a little while ago-- over 400 bullet choices. You can go from a 100 grain plinker to a 250 grain match bullet. You've got bullets for varminting, plinking, big game hunting and dx shooting.

So bullet choice is a big component of a chambering's versatility.

Then you've got rifle offerings. Everyone offers a rifle in 30-06. Every type of action is covered. Every conceivable barrel length and twist is covered.

38-55? You've got levers and single-shots. Sure you could custom-build it into anything, but you have to ask yourself why? What's practical?

Case capacity is a factor. 38-55/375 WIN is on the Ohio-compliant list, because it has a limited case capacity. Nobody will be able to drive a bullet all THAT fast as a result. 30-06? Dang! Think of what a 30-06 can't do, and it's an impressively small list.

I just got done hunting a season with a Ruger Model 44 in Kentucky. I fell into the Model 44 after acquiring the donor rifle for the 38-55 build. Having used it to take a buck, I'm seeing that this may be my designated Ohio deer rifle. It dropped a buck at 80 yards and did so without muss or fuss. I daresay the 38-55 project would not have done any better. As a result, I may hold off on the 38-55 build.

Apples and oranges, I'm afraid. Besides, how many people actually use all or even a small percentage of .30 offerings in their .30-06's? Versatility of a cartridge doesn't mean the average Joe takes full advantage of it, even the average Looney.

I could easily spend the rest of my life with a "less diverse" cartridge exploring all of its potential- bullets, both store-bought and home made, powders, velocities- and in between range sessions going out and killing stuff with it. It boils down to how far outside the box one wishes to think, and how much one shrugs at "common wisdom".

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Me? With a 30-06, I've used it for groundhogs (with sabotted .223 loads) , coyote, hog, and whitetail. I've also plinked with cat-sneeze cast loads.

I don't mean to throw shade on the 38-55, but I do think it's not as versatile a chambering. Even 30-30 (from the 38-55 case) is a more versatile cartridge. Most of that is from the amount of factory bullet offerings, but there's also a lot more molds for 30-somethings out there.

Gnoahhh, I'm hard pressed to ever say you're wrong on anything. You are one of the 'Campers I most respect. However, I must say you're take on the subject is eccentric.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
grin whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
32-20 Winchester

Dan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First it was the .25 ACP that was less diverse, and now it's the .38-55. I wouldn't disrespect either, but suspect anyone who purchased a .25 ACP has a small weenie. Even smaller than someone who shoots hogs with CB Shorts.

So, how diverse is the .38-55? Take my beer out to the 300 yard line and hold it for me. I double dog dare ya.......

You fellas that are askeerd of molten lead need to seek counseling and your Loony Status is revoked until that's done.

100 yards, offhand...

Ya see the 4th from the right? 350 grains perched on Lord Black. A fella head shoots small stuff and maybe bigger, or if having an off day, in the chest. It's what's for dinner Kemo Sabe. And furthermore, the cartridge does not discriminate. It'll kill anything you want. Furry, feathers, bald, red, yellow, black or white. Diversity embraced..........

If I wanted to shoot girly bullets I would....but I don't need to and won't.

Phfffffft.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My most amusing cartridge is a .25 caliber. Stuff happens in tube feed when you forget to crimp..........

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is that third cartridge from the left one that I sent down range last week, Dan? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably it is. Right cartridge for sure. Very diverse too, squill to T-Rex.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

So, how diverse is the .38-55? Take my beer out to the 300 yard line and hold it for me. I double dog dare ya.......

You fellas that are askeerd of molten lead need to seek counseling and your Loony Status is revoked until that's done.

Phfffffft.

I don't think anyone here is trying to throw shade on the 38-55. It's a very effective cartridge for what it does. The problem is whether or not a given cartridge is diverse or versatile. I would suggest 30-06 is a candidate for being most versatile. Another one might be .223 REM. There are a bunch of bullet choices and you can rig a load to go hunt chipmunk up to whitetail deer. Now granted, you can load 375 round ball in a 38-55 case and plink to your heart's content. Still, I'd say there is room for making the distinction.

As far as flinging lead goes, I'm a huge fan of .35-somethings. I have a 35 Whelen that shoots 158 grain cast lead quite well. That same mold works for my 357 pistols and lever gun. In fact, with 3 molds, I cast for a dozen firearms right now everything from 9mm to 38 SPC to 357 Mag to 35 Whelen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But, but, this thread is about the least diverse in YOUR arsenal.

DD

PS: I was talkin' to the crowd, not you in particular.

PPS: Don't make me pull out my .25-20SS

PPPS: I nominate my 4mm Zimmerstutzen. Probably can't kill anything bigger than a hog with that one. Still worth a lot of giggles though.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In my current inventory? Hmmm. Maybe the 7.5X54 French. It's a 308 WIN-ish kind of chambering, but it only fits in a MAS 36.

I'd give an honorable mention to 44 Mag at least as a rifle round. Again, I'm not throwing shade on the chambering. It did a really good job on a whitetail this season. Still, it's not going to be delivering the kind of versatility as the 45-70, and it isn't a good varminter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
But, but, this thread is about the least diverse in YOUR arsenal.

DD

YES, it is or WAS.....

This is the second time "shaman" crossed the double yellow line.
On P 5 he wrote.....

Originally Posted by shaman
Me? With a 30-06, I've used it for groundhogs (with sabotted .223 loads) , coyote, hog, and whitetail. I've also plinked with cat-sneeze cast loads.

I don't mean to throw shade on the 38-55, but I do think it's not as versatile a chambering. Even 30-30 (from the 38-55 case) is a more versatile cartridge. Most of that is from the amount of factory bullet offerings, but there's also a lot more molds for 30-somethings out there.

He 'back doored' , your " least diverse caliber"

pfffft

Jerry laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I volunteer to sit in the penalty box, just to show good sportsmanship.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a .44 rifle. It is profoundly diverse. Pigs, deers, Godzilla, it don't matter. Bark a squill it did way back when I was easily amused. Kinda like a .45-70 Short if you get my drift. And I offered the .45-70 to Cpt. Kirk but he was askeerd to install that on the Enterprise due to recoil. Puzzy.

Chuck Norris wants it. Bad.

Woof!

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Let's see - How 'bout a 219 Donaldson Wasp, 35WSL (NOT 351), 2 32-20's (Rifle and revolver), 17 Rem, etc.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess when I think of diverse, I'm thinking of a wider range of choices than you.

Most of the rifle bullet offerings are 185 grain to 300 grain, but most folks stick to something around 240 grains. 30-06 goes 110 to 220 grains in general offerings.

A 125 grain bullet in a 30-06 is a very viable groundhog round. At the top end you can take a moose.

You mentioned deer and hog. Both are pretty much in the same class of game as far as I'm concerned. At least on my gun rack, there is no difference between my hog rifles and and my deer rifles. Now I'm sure somebody is going to say they've taken Moose with a 44 Mag, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (257robertsimp, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 14 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.