Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
ok fellas i have a cz-455 american stainless in .22lr and bought a stainless 17hmr barrel to go with it. the 22lr barrel has proven to be accurate so i just switched to the 17hmr barrel to see if it proves to be accurate also. if it does my plan is to send both barrels off to be chopped and threaded. i was thinking 16.5" length for both barrels as the american profile barrel gets thicker closer to the action you get. would chopping to 16.5" get me enough shoulder on the barrel for my sparrow ss to butt up against?
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by whitearrow
ok fellas i have a cz-455 american stainless in .22lr and bought a stainless 17hmr barrel to go with it. the 22lr barrel has proven to be accurate so i just switched to the 17hmr barrel to see if it proves to be accurate also. if it does my plan is to send both barrels off to be chopped and threaded. i was thinking 16.5" length for both barrels as the american profile barrel gets thicker closer to the action you get. would chopping to 16.5" get me enough shoulder on the barrel for my sparrow ss to butt up against?
thanks,
Big Ed

Really, that is a question for your gunsmith.

It should be fine though..

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jk16
thanks,
Big Ed

Really, that is a question for your gunsmith.

It should be fine though..

just wanted some real world feedback is all bud. i've about made up my mind about both barrels being chopped and threaded to 16.5" but was just wondering what y'all that have already went down that road had experienced.
thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
thanks,
Big Ed

I did just that.
Sent it to Karl Feldcamp.
Had it threaded at 16.5” for 1/2x28

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, I just threaded 2, 455 Varmint barrels. One 22LR, the other a 22WMR. Both barrels measured ~.860" at the the muzzle. Threaded 1/2-28, that leaves a pretty good shoulder for any suppressor to butt up to.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Yeah I figure the Vermont profile barrel wouldn’t be an issue no matter if you just cut an inch off. But the slimmer sporter American profile barrel I prolly need to be more careful how long i leave her to make sure I have enough barrel shoulder to butt up against with my sparrow.
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've got a CZ 455 with factory threaded barrel.

0.615" at the shoulder where my Sparrow snugs up. Works fine.

Edited to add that I just measured the outside diameter of the part of the Sparrow that actually contacts the shoulder on the barrel and that appears to be 0.600".

Last edited by ClearAirTurbulence; 11/17/19.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
I've got a CZ 455 with factory threaded barrel.

0.615" at the shoulder where my Sparrow snugs up. Works fine.

Edited to add that I just measured the outside diameter of the part of the Sparrow that actually contacts the shoulder on the barrel and that appears to be 0.600".

Thanks turbulence. Is yours a American sported profile? If so if factory threaded I bet it’s 16.5”. I’m leaning to just get em cut at 16.5” and be done with it. I’d like to go 17” but not sure I’d have enough shoulder for the sparrow to snug up against.
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

You've got your Sparrow right? You can check my work by taking a caliper to yours. You can see exactly where the Sparrow is going to contact the shoulder of any barrel.

I was surprised that I only had 0.015" to spare but my gunsmith tells me CZ does excellent work threading their own barrels in the factory. Took them both to the range yesterday and the barrel to suppressor contact is good enough to put suppressed rounds in the same place as the unsuppressed rounds at 50 yards with similar accuracy. (It was a windy day.)

The key for you regardless of barrel width is going to be the skill of the gunsmith doing your work. That shoulder has got to be cut SQUARE by damn. Or you'll have trouble.

See also the booklet that came with your Sparrow. It says what the distance should be between shoulder and end of threads.

Guess mine is an American. The barrel is 16.5" in length and with the 5" can on the end it is an elegant little piece of work.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stainless CZ 455 at 16.5” threaded 1/2”... if I remember right this is a Tbac Takedown...

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Cinch
Stainless CZ 455 at 16.5” threaded 1/2”... if I remember right this is a Tbac Takedown...

[Linked Image]

Cinch that looks a good bit longer than 16.5”. That looks like my factory length of 20.5”. Is your 1/2-28 or 1/2-20 thread?
Thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]

Cinch that looks a good bit longer than 16.5”. That looks like my factory length of 20.5”. Is your 1/2-28 or 1/2-20 thread?
Thanks,
Big Ed

[Linked Image from i876.photobucket.com]

1/2x28 threads...

Public landowner...
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Big Ed

1/2x28 threads...

sweet thanks cinch. is that 16.5" to the end of the barrel shank that mates to receiver or 16.5" to the receiver? thanks for the pics bud that helps alot.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My 455 American 22lr barrel is factory threaded at 16.5. Threaded the 17hmr at 18”. Gunsmith I used is a 17hmr fanatic. That was his recommendation in length, and with all the ones he has and shoots I have no reason not to trust him. Both work just fine with the dead air mask at those lengths

He said I could easily thread them at 16.5” 1/2x28

Shouldn’t be a issue honestly

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Big Ed

1/2x28 threads...

sweet thanks cinch. is that 16.5" to the end of the barrel shank that mates to receiver or 16.5" to the receiver? thanks for the pics bud that helps alot.
Big Ed

Yes sir 16.5 to the end of the threads at the crown...

Public landowner...
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
thanks cinch. from crown to shank correct? in other words,from tip to tip, the whole length of the barrel not just where it inserts to the receiver.
thanks and sorry to be so technical i just wanna see how its gonna look is all,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just take it to the gunsmith and stop worrying my friend. It has to be 16” from receiver to end of barrel, the shank that insert into receiver doesn’t count for legal oal barrel length.Just show them silencerco thread recommendation and they can easily do it. If they do lots of threading they will know exactly what you need anyways. Cost somewhere around 100$ give or take

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
thanks cinch. from crown to shank correct? in other words,from tip to tip, the whole length of the barrel not just where it inserts to the receiver.
thanks and sorry to be so technical i just wanna see how its gonna look is all,
Big Ed

Mine measures exactly 16.5" from the front of the receiver to the front tip of the barrel...

Public landowner...
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Just take it to the gunsmith and stop worrying my friend. It has to be 16” from receiver to end of barrel, the shank that insert into receiver doesn’t count for legal oal barrel length.Just show them silencerco thread recommendation and they can easily do it. If they do lots of threading they will know exactly what you need anyways. Cost somewhere around 100$ give or take

ahhh ok kevin. i figured it was measured tip to tip,crown to end of barrel shank, not just where it mates to receiver. since the barrel shank is technically part of the barrel.
thanks for clearing that up bud,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Btw if anyone needs a Cz 455 American barrel in 22lr( not threaded)I just listed one for sale.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
502 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.