Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So I’ve been toying with getting a Sako recently but having never owned one, I’m not real familiar with the different models. Looking at 243, 260, 7-08.
I understand that the older L579s are desirable and have located a few Foresters in 243 that look fantastic.
I also have read here casually about issues with the 85.
I don’t know much about all the models in between. AII, AIII, AIV, 75, etc.
Have the issues with the 85 been fixed?
Do the L579 have the shorter bolt lift like the newer ones and Tikkas?
Lotsa questions, I know, but if someone could give a brief synopsis/history it would be much appreciated.
Also, a hint of ones to look for and ones to stay away from wouldn’t hurt.
Thanks much!

BP-B6

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have owned three 85’s. One was a 308 with a 20” barrel that I could not warm up to. The other a 308 with a 22” barrel & the third a 300 WSM. Love them both & will die with them in my possession. I think the 85’s are the most quality available in a mid-priced commercially made rifle.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's a link to an issue I ran into after owning the 85 for about 7-8 yrs. It was PIA, I stripped off all the finish and repainted with black Duracoat finish. Not sure if they (Sako) addressed the issue or not. Good Luck with your decision.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...229902/re-sako-finnlight-85#Post13229902

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I currently own two.An 85 Finnlight 308 and a Forester(L579)243.The Finnlight is all I need for a hunting rifle.No issues at all and a joy to shoot carry.The Forester was more an impulse buy.I'm more a blue and wood guy and have always lusted for one.The Forester is also a fine carry and shooting rifle.I was surprised at it's svelte and all set up(scope)it's just a tad over seven pounds.The bolt lift on the forester is not the same a the Finnlight.Scoping the Forester takes a little more thought and research.You have to be cautious of your ring height and the ocular size of the scope you will be using.The bolt clearance is tight on mine.I tried a few combinations before I was satisfied.It wasn't hard to do,you just have to do some research.Sako did make a change to the L579 addressing that issue.I'm not sure when the redesigned bolts were put into use.Mine was made in the early 1960s(half moon floorplate release).Sako Collectors forum is a good place to find answers on the older models.
The 85 issues that have been reported,I can't comment on.I have neither.From what I have read the "soft touch stock" should be avoided as some say they get sticky.I have read enough about the ejection issues.Mine does everything as it should,never a hiccup.I believe that issue is on some medium(270,3006) and Short Mag bolts.If your looking for an 85 in one of those action lengths it would be well worth it to have it checked or guaranteed not to have a problem.The issue can be fixed,but most people don't want to fix a gun they just bought.If you asked me,I would buy one but demand a discount.Then I would fix it with a $5 spring and have a Sako for a great price.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I always replace factory stocks with customs. My only stock to grow sticky did so in the closet, off the gun.Pretty nasty.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Snootie
Here's a link to an issue I ran into after owning the 85 for about 7-8 yrs. It was PIA, I stripped off all the finish and repainted with black Duracoat finish. Not sure if they (Sako) addressed the issue or not. Good Luck with your decision.

Every other manufacturer that uses that finish has the same issue. Has nothing to do with the functionality of the rifle.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the L-61’s, I have a few of them. Classic rifles, hunter or deluxe models. I’ve never had one that wasn’t a good shooter. I collected mannlichers and deluxe’s at one time but only have the hunter model now. Check the Sakos on Guns International

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Owned a half dozen of the pre-Garcia (pre-1972) Firearms International guns. Sold the 7 mm Mag, .30-06 and nib 243 Finnwolf. A 308 Mannlicher, 308 Bofors Steel barrel gun in a McMillian Edge and 222 Vixen remain. Lost interest during the Garcia era when the guns started getting heavier and to my eye lost their classic lines. If I was to buy another Sako it would only be a pre-Garcia gun.

yar had a beautiful 1961 L579 Deluxe 308 in the Classifieds that sold about a week ago.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have an 85 in .260, a 75 in 7mm-08 and a 75 Single-Shot in .308, and had (past tense) another 75 in .308. Also a couple of p94S Finnfire .22s. I love them all, and except for JM Marlins, they're the only brand of rifles that I would spend my own money on. I sold the previous 75 .308 not for disliking it, but along with a bunch of other rifles while raising money for the down payment on a house. The .260 and 7mm-08 are set up for Hunter class and Standard Rifle Silhouette, and they shoot splendidly. The .22s are for Smallbore Silhouette.

Friends have had, and I have tried, older Sakos, like Finnbears, with the Mauser style actions, and they were great rifles, but I prefer the three-lug bolt on the 75/85.

There are some differences in stock shape and dimensions amongst the different models. For me, the Sako 75 Hunter stock is the best fitting factory stock that I have ever felt. My 85 feels good, but it has a slimmer feel, with a more open grip. It's like dancing with a slim athletic girl while the 75 is like dancing with a softer, more fully developed one.

They are all sorta heavy,-- heavier than the factory specs call for. For a 75/85 count on 7 1/4 pounds. More for the Varmint or laminated models, maybe less for the synthetic stocks (don't have one to weigh).

If you go for a Sako in .260, beware the pre-85 models, which all had a 1-9" twist rate. They changed to 1-8" twist in the 85. However the factory specs page on their "discontinued models" Web site now says 8" for the 75. It lies. It only matters if you want to shoot the heavier bullets.

Most production Sako rifles have "meh" wood,-- good, strong, but not beautiful. Some of them come through with great wood, it's just a matter of chance.

I fully agree that they are the best factory production rifle available.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Infidel
I have an 85 in .260, a 75 in 7mm-08 and a 75 Single-Shot in .308, and had (past tense) another 75 in .308. Also a couple of p94S Finnfire .22s. I love them all, and except for JM Marlins, they're the only brand of rifles that I would spend my own money on. I sold the previous 75 .308 not for disliking it, but along with a bunch of other rifles while raising money for the down payment on a house. The .260 and 7mm-08 are set up for Hunter class and Standard Rifle Silhouette, and they shoot splendidly. The .22s are for Smallbore Silhouette.

Friends have had, and I have tried, older Sakos, like Finnbears, with the Mauser style actions, and they were great rifles, but I prefer the three-lug bolt on the 75/85.

There are some differences in stock shape and dimensions amongst the different models. For me, the Sako 75 Hunter stock is the best fitting factory stock that I have ever felt. My 85 feels good, but it has a slimmer feel, with a more open grip. It's like dancing with a slim athletic girl while the 75 is like dancing with a softer, more fully developed one.

They are all sorta heavy,-- heavier than the factory specs call for. For a 75/85 count on 7 1/4 pounds. More for the Varmint or laminated models, maybe less for the synthetic stocks (don't have one to weigh).

If you go for a Sako in .260, beware the pre-85 models, which all had a 1-9" twist rate. They changed to 1-8" twist in the 85. However the factory specs page on their "discontinued models" Web site now says 8" for the 75. It lies. It only matters if you want to shoot the heavier bullets.

Most production Sako rifles have "meh" wood,-- good, strong, but not beautiful. Some of them come through with great wood, it's just a matter of chance.

I fully agree that they are the best factory production rifle available.

+1 million, I have tried older Sakos, have never had an 85 but have had the most success with 75's both Stoeger and Beretta import.

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have several Pre-Garcia L579s - 308s and one 243. They are some of the best guns every made. They function well, are very svelte, accurate and good to look at. I would go that route - but I love old Sakos of all kinds ( my L61R in 300H&H is so cool )

The only 85 I had was a finnlight in 270. It had the ejection issue and I sent it down the road before I knew about the fix. If I had known about the fix I would have kept it because that gun could shoot and was otherwise perfect in my mind.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys. Just the info I was looking for

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Snootie

Every other manufacturer that uses that finish has the same issue. Has nothing to do with the functionality of the rifle.

Agree about the functionality of the rifle..... if I'm spending $1000+ on a factory gun plus scope and mounts, I'm not looking to spend additional $$$ to fix/replace the factory stock because of a defective finish the factory used. I was looking lightweight/synthetic otherwise I would have gone with wood or laminate. My 85 is in 270win. with the "low" sako rings. I haven't experienced the ejection problems others have. Other than the "soft touch" issues I like the way the gun feels, handles, and shoots. I also have a pre-Garcia L61 in '06 that functions fine but doesn't get used as much as it should.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Just because i was wanting to spin on a few more barrels (started gunsmithing a few years ago) I replaced my Factory Sako 85 260 barrel with a Krieger... and my 270 barrel was replaced as well.

I was suprised when no one picked it up - I had put it in the classifieds.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
A good rule of thumb re. Sakos: stay away from the A7 series.
Might visit www.sakocollectors.com for info

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Here is a few. The bottom pair are 264 Win mags with 26” barrels. They went to 24” barrels after the first year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]online image hosting

Last edited by hanco; 11/21/19.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Nice. Which one you gonna give me a good deal on?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have an older Sako Finnbear (pre Garcia) and it's a great gun. Do yourself a favor and do a google search on "sako ejection problems" and you'll see quite a few folks are having problems with the new model 85 with three lugs on the bolt. A friend bought one in 7 mag and he had the problem. Beretta won't do anything to resolve the issue. They blame it on the mounts/scope. He had a 1" Leupold mounted in Sako ringmounts. He wound up sending the rifle down the road.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RowdyYates
A good rule of thumb re. Sakos: stay away from the A7 series.
Might visit www.sakocollectors.com for info

That’s a suprise - I’ll have to go look at what they are saying on the other board.

The A7 is a hybrid between the Tikka T3, and the Sako 85 - Mine is a one hole wonder (7+ one hole groups shot on different days - I quit counting after that).
It is one of the most accurate rifles I have, and remember most of mine are built by a benchrest gunsmith.

the only yuck for me is the magazines are plastic so the feed lips on them suck... other than that they are good.

Now the price they are asking for an A7 today... yeah I don’t go there anymore, just pick the 85.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L -579 way better than 85. Check out the 85 recoil lug. The slot the recoil lug fits into is held in place by wood screws.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 85 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.