Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm intrigued by the Canadian belt knife and keep hearing good reviews on them.

Who makes a good one?
Grohmann? (buy carbon or stainless?)
Herters?
Knives of alaska?
Bark River?
Others?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think Grohmann is the original and one of the nicest. My father had one and it was one of my sentimental favorites. If you want to try one for incredibly cheap, take a look at the cold steel version. $15 with a sheath, and will let you know if you like it enough to drop the money on a nicer one. I have a few of them and I like them but I haven’t worked up any game with them. They cold steel is so light I keep it in my pack as a backup knife.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

KOA Yukon Belt Knife

Canadian Belt knife (Dukeman)

Oklahoma Belt Knife (Top, also by Dukeman)

I'm would bet there would be a number of makers that frequent this forum that would fashion one similar!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/20/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting the similarities to the Nesmuke minus the use as an eating utensil. The Cold steel is a throw down knife IMO. Grohman's are good and I like to support the originator. The Stag handle models keep going up in price it seems.

Bark River & KOA may have better steel but not a huge difference but I am a fan of properly done D2. Stainless vs Carbon is mostly personal preference but I go for carbon unless it is a fishing knife.

Herters I don't know will look them up later.

My personal choice would be a Stag handled original in Carbon steel.

But then I would also be tempted to have Michagan Roadkill make one up in M4 or S35V for the ultimate Canadian Belt Knife.

Last edited by Tejano; 11/20/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Gdub,
Is Dukeman still making knives?,

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The cold steel is a cheap one for sure, but it is kind of like a Mora knife. If you like it, buy a Grohmann (carbon for me) and relegate the cold steel to a bait knife. If you dislike the shape after using it, you are out only $15. Grohmann is 20% off now, which puts their #1 with rosewood well under $100

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

KOA Yukon Belt Knife

Canadian Belt knife (Dukeman)

Oklahoma Belt Knife (Top, also by Dukeman)

I'm would bet there would be a number of makers that frequent this forum that would fashion one similar!

ya!

GWB

Gibby,

Is that KOA the version with the top edge sharpened?
Whats your opinion on sharpened top edge?

H

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500
The cold steel is a cheap one for sure, but it is kind of like a Mora knife. If you like it, buy a Grohmann (carbon for me) and relegate the cold steel to a bait knife. If you dislike the shape after using it, you are out only $15. Grohmann is 20% off now, which puts their #1 with rosewood well under $100

^^^^ This is great advice! ^^^^

The Grohmann #1 Original is currently, as of 11/21/19, on sale for $88 at www.gknives.com

You can regularly find the Grohmann #1 for even less $$ on eBay.

I tried the Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife and like the style, just not the lower grade Cold Steel version. When it comes to cheap, but functional, knives, I prefer the Cold Streel Pendleton Lite Hunter style because the handle fits my hand better.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just used the cold steel version to work up a duck. Not a real challenge, but the ergonomics are dang good on the knife, and the cold steel version slices paper like butter. I kind of want to order the Grohmann to replace the one that was lost/stolen from my father.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There’s nothing like the original Grohmann. I’ve used the SS/Rosewood Version going back 30 years. I have a Cold Steel version, but it’s mediocre by comparison.

However, I could really like the stag/carbon version of mine that Tejano mentioned.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have one marked Rd1958 was my Dads ive had it 35 years , dad got it new I think. I want to use it but dont want to lose it either lol might have to use it anyway. I bought a cold steel its OK but not the same quality
Larry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in Nova Scotia for 4 years in the 1990's. Worked at the shipyard in Pictou and in Halifax and Dartmouth.
Every holiday it seems I was given Grohmann knives, both the original DH Russell and the B&T...Carbon and SS
I must have 2 dozen of them.
All in a drawer.
I also have 2 Wayne Hendrix renditions.
The BEST, and not from conjecture, but from use...are:

LTW Small Northern Hunter

Awesome AEBL...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
There’s nothing like the original Grohmann. I’ve used the SS/Rosewood Version going back 30 years. I have a Cold Steel version, but it’s mediocre by comparison.

However, I could really like the stag/carbon version of mine that Tejano mentioned.

I have the Cold Steel version, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought two of the Herters version back in the 60s.....$3.97 each with sheath and a pamphlet. They were good but very hard.
I currently have two Grohmans that I like and use but my buddy brought a KOA to moose camp and I really liked it because
of the no=slip handle and it seemed to hold an edge better than other KOA knives I've used. Perhaps KOA has figured out
some tempering for their D2 steel. I've considered buying a KOA but the sheath SUX! Where can I get a good sheath built?

The younger generation look at my Grohmans and consider me as a senile old phardt while they use their replaceable blade
knives that I despise.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
that KOA with the blaze orange handle looks pretty cool...maybe I wouldn't lose it

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Tejano
Interesting the similarities to the Nesmuke minus the use as an eating utensil. The Cold steel is a throw down knife IMO. Grohman's are good and I like to support the originator. The Stag handle models keep going up in price it seems.

Bark River & KOA may have better steel but not a huge difference but I am a fan of properly done D2. Stainless vs Carbon is mostly personal preference but I go for carbon unless it is a fishing knife.

Herters I don't know will look them up later.

My personal choice would be a Stag handled original in Carbon steel.

But then I would also be tempted to have Michagan Roadkill make one up in M4 or S35V for the ultimate Canadian Belt Knife.

Stapleton's Great Adventure in Canada always has good prices on stag handled Grohmanns. Prices listed are in Canadian funds. They carry all models in stainless, carbon, sabre grind and flat grind.

www.adventuregear.ca

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Gies340
Gdub,
Is Dukeman still making knives?,

Anybody know?

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Let's see some more of these.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is the best design I've used for field dressing. I've made and modified a bunch of them, but generally go back to more of the original design. The Grohmann handle is a little to small for me so I actually prefer the R Murphy (Hereters) or the cold steel version as their handles are just a bit larger. My favorite overall is probably the KOA #2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Grohmann #2 Bird & Trout in stainless steel makes an excellent whitetail knife. I've got lots of custom knives so I use those but I wouldn't feel deprived if that was my only deer knife.

RS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have two or the Grohmann's, a wood handle and a stag handle. They just don't feel right in my hand anymore and I don't really know why as I liked them thirty years or so ago.

I bought a House Mountain Knives (Mike McCarter) version of a belt knife and like it a lot more. While there are other knives I like a lot McCarter's is the one I use most often when dressing out deer. It also works just fine in camp when cooking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by stantdm
I have two or the Grohmann's, a wood handle and a stag handle. They just don't feel right in my hand anymore and I don't really know why as I liked them thirty years or so ago.

I bought a House Mountain Knives (Mike McCarter) version of a belt knife and like it a lot more. While there are other knives I like a lot McCarter's is the one I use most often when dressing out deer. It also works just fine in camp when cooking.

This looks very much like the #3 Grohmann boat knife and that's what I am leaning towards... based on looks only and not handling or use.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I looked the boat knife up and it does look like similar geometry on the blade angle.

Last edited by stantdm; 11/24/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Grohmann Stag #2 Trout & Bird Knife the best.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Brad Watkins in Montana has a very similar pattern. His stuff looks really nice, although I don't own any of his knives.

I like the design, and have owned a few Grohmann knives, but I like some other steel better.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
The Grohmann #2 Bird & Trout in stainless steel makes an excellent whitetail knife. I've got lots of custom knives so I use those but I wouldn't feel deprived if that was my only deer knife.

RS

+1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I lived in Nova Scotia for 4 years in the 1990's. Worked at the shipyard in Pictou and in Halifax and Dartmouth.
Every holiday it seems I was given Grohmann knives, both the original DH Russell and the B&T...Carbon and SS
All in a drawer.

Awesome AEBL...

Tag.......anybody else chime in on this? I trust the judgement of Journeyman but am curious on thoughts of anyone that's also used these.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
All in a drawer.

Awesome AEBL...

Tag.......anybody else chime in on this? I trust the judgement of Journeyman but am curious on thoughts of anyone that's also used these.

No experience with them but I've been wanting to try that blade style. That LTW Small Northern Hunter does appeal to me due to the smaller blade - I think it would be a more useful size than the bigger versions.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
On looking for one of the LTW Small Northern Hunters, they seem to be hard to find - most all listings showing out of stock or sold out. I did locate one in green micarta through Knife Center and pulled the trigger. Anxious to check this one out...

Last edited by JGray; 12/19/22.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have the Grohmann and the KOA. Personally, I have been a fan of KOA for 20 years and have several knives. Really boils down to personal choice. Both handle teh job well. I do think the rosewood is better looking, but when bloody is slipperier than the rubber handle on a KOA. I prefer to spend the money once and not get a knife that I may like; only to wish I had a better one. The budget is teh same on several. Figure out your preferences, buy the one you find most appealing.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m partial to a Canadian Skinner style I make. It’s my best seller. CPM154 stainless with whatever handle material floats your boat. I’ve got em everywhere in the US and Canada now.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Grohmann is the best I have a few, but when it comes down to it
... anything that's sharp is the best blade

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’m partial to a Canadian Skinner style I make. It’s my best seller. CPM154 stainless with whatever handle material floats your boat. I’ve got em everywhere in the US and Canada now.

I came across your knives on instagram a couple of weeks ago. That Canadian Skinner immediately caught my eye. That is a very nice knife.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
All in a drawer.

Awesome AEBL...

Journeyman is an excellent source for knife information and in this case has all sorts of experience. I would go with his suggestion. This link works: https://ltwrightknives.com/shop/knives/small-northern-hunter/

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I came across your knives on instagram a couple of weeks ago. That Canadian Skinner immediately caught my eye. That is a very nice knife.

Thanks so much. I’ve gotten a ton of positive feedback on this model.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Godogs57,

Would you PM me a price on your Canadian Hunter with micarta please? Great looking knife.

Thanks.

Frank

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray
On looking for one of the LTW Small Northern Hunters, they seem to be hard to find - most all listings showing out of stock or sold out. I did locate one in green micarta through Knife Center and pulled the trigger. Anxious to check this one out...

Well, it arrived the other day and initial impression is the handle seems pretty short compared to my other knives, though I think it will work fine. It does appear to be very well made...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It looks like my humpback dick.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by humdinger
I'm intrigued by the Canadian belt knife and keep hearing good reviews on them.

Who makes a good one?
Grohmann? (buy carbon or stainless?)
Herters?
Knives of alaska?
Bark River?
Others?

The original (award winning) Grohman style knife is 2nd to none as an all around field knife. The elliptical blade works very week for skinning as well.

I had the top Bark Canadian Knife re-worked to closer approximate the shape of the middle #1. It's still a bit big for use inside a deer. The steel in the Bark holds an edge better.

The bottom Barky is superb for gutting deer but lacks for skinning

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
The original (award winning) Grohman style knife

Was it a 'Major Award'?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Was it a 'Major Award'?

That's a very good question.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S

Was it a 'Major Award'?

Sometimes these awards are given by bad people. If the person who gave the award was a baddy, does that mean the award is still valid? I mean they are tearing down statues cuz the people may have been bad. These questions are valid and must be asked. The person, ok lets say he was a Major who gave the award in the first place, was an alcohol drinker… if so that award may not mean sht. Just sayin.

Last edited by sns2; 12/28/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sns2

Was it a 'Major Award'?

Sometimes these awards are given by bad people. If the person who gave the award was a baddy, does that mean the award is still valid? I mean they are tearing down statues cuz the people may have been bad. These questions are valid and must be asked. The person, ok lets say he was a Major who gave the award in the first place, was an alcohol drinker… if so that award may not mean sht. Just sayin.

LOL ..... Just sayin'.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Bahahahaha

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to have a Grohmann #1 original, with stainless blade. It was an early made knife, from the late 1950's. Beautifully designed, but lousy edge retention. Sold it. Perhaps the non-stainless blade ("carbon steel") would hold an edge better, but after calling Grohmann directly, I opted not to get one. The "carbon" blade has about 0.6% carbon. They were guarded about the alloy composition, but based on their comments it was similar to 5160 (alloy often used for axe heads)

Years later, I bought a Canadian Belt knife through eCop on ebay. I can't remember the maker, but it was a USA-made blade. It has 1095 steel (~1.0% carbon), the same alloy used in the Ka-Bar USMC knife. It has a very nice zebra wood handle, and takes a wicked sharp edge. I don't use it now ( go figure), and it just sits in my drawer.

If you are interested, I can send pictures ( PM me with your text number). Comes with a simple slip-in sheath. The sheath is not as nice as the Grohmann's slip in sheath, but it is solid and fully functional.

Price: $44, including shipping to lower 48.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Zebrawood handled Canadian Belt Knife has been sold to a 24hrcampfire member. Thank you.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.